Desmogging the Super Duke - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Desmogging the Super Duke

Removed the carbon evap canister on the Super Duke today, gained a whole bunch of space under the seat...

Before

Naked bike

It had two hoses, one is a gas tank vent and has to be left open, I routed it down by the rear cylinder and out the bottom with another hose. It's the small hose on top of the frame.

The second hose runs to a valve on the front of the airbox, then tees off and goes to a nipple on the side of each cylinder head. I just removed the single hose from the canister to the valve and plugged the valve nipple, the other tee hose going to the cylinders can be removed and capped as well, but it will take removing the airbox to access the front cylinder. I'll wait until the SAS removal plates come in off back order and do it all at once.

The gas tank pivots on two bolts at the rear, removing a single bolt in front allows you to lift it up to access the airbox. Several threads on the Super Duke forum warned that it's a bitch to get the gas tank bolt lined up again and you have to remove the pivot bolts as the plastic tank tends to expand, especially when full of gas which mine was. Sure enough the mounting tab on the tank was way off from lining up with the frame, but it seemed like undoing the pivot bolts was only going to complicate matters worse. I took a large flat screwdriver, wrapped the tip in tape, inserted it between the front of the tank tab and the top triple and gently pried until the bolt dropped into place.

It had virtually no underseat space before, registration slip was all that fit. Can fit a towel, small chamois, kickstand pad, helmet cable lock, and even the tool kit if I want.

Makes zero difference in how the bike runs, the tank just vents to the atmosphere now instead of back through the airbox. Hopefully the SAS kit (think PAIRS plates) will be here soon, can get rid of the rest of the plumbing. Also ordered 02 sensor eliminators, let you unplug the sensors without tripping the light. Supposed to eliminate the low throttle snatchiness, which does make the bike a handful in low speed corners and around town, easy to lurch forward when you're only trying to apply a little throttle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice work Scott. Dang that canister took up a lot of room. That's a clean machine and looks very well built. All the wires and cables very neat and tidy. Also the bike looks kinda cool without the little orange wings on the front. I always wondered what it looks like without them.

Hope the mods work out well

post #3 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Thanks Mike, I'm enjoying getting to know the bike as I mess with it. Definitely well built, interesting to see how KTM designs things, different than the Japanese bikes that make up the bulk of my experience.

post #4 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Very cool.

What's the banjo bolt for in the one picture?

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #5 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
Very cool.

What's the banjo bolt for in the one picture?
Hydraulic Clutch

post #6 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Hydraulic Clutch
Ding ding ding

post #7 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Tesserarius

That's quite the nice storage space now.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Pilus Posterior

Darn I like that bike. I hope that's a brand new rear tyre .........

post #9 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Darn I like that bike. I hope that's a brand new rear tyre .........
Brand new bike, only 350 miles on it so far. Lots of chicken strip to scrub off still!

post #10 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Le So Cal Troll

i always drool over the duke's ... they sound so SO mean.... id probably kill myself on one, id be railing a corner then flog the throttle like i do on the 919, and the stupid torque of the duke would just spin the rear tire.

post #11 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
id probably kill myself on one, id be railing a corner then flog the throttle like i do on the 919, and the stupid torque of the duke would just spin the rear tire.
I am pretty set on a new Tuono when they eventually get here. Worried about the same thing. How do you manage 160HP on a 400# bike without wadding it up on every turn

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #12 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Even 120hp on a 390lb bike takes some finesse, still learning how to get the most out of it without scaring the hell out of myself.

post #13 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Even 120hp on a 390lb bike takes some finesse, still learning how to get the most out of it without scaring the hell out of myself.
and its not necessarily the HP... i have ridden 600cc sport bike with more hp than the duke or the 919... its that stupid low end of the duke. i mean 65+ ftlbs at the rear wheel from 2.5k rpms on... peaking at 73... bejezus. the 919 peaks at around 65 ft lbs at the wheel... at 2.5k rpms... maybe 50 ftlbs. and a time or two i have managed to be relativity lugging it and spin the rear tire on a rapid throttle opening.

i cant imagine 15ish more hp and tons more torque on a 60-70lb lighter bike (duke) .. ya id get myself introuble REAL quick.

post #14 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Yeah, it pretty much has instant power as soon as you barely twist the throttle, that's what makes the low throttle snatchiness an issue, easy to accidentally give too much power when you don't want it. The O2 sensor eliminators are supposed to cure that problem, the O2 sensors only provide readings under a certain rpm to meet emission standards, when disconnected it smooths out the on/off throttle characteristic.

This thing does rev fast, hits the rev limiter in an instant!

post #15 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Yeah, it pretty much has instant power as soon as you barely twist the throttle, that's what makes the low throttle snatchiness an issue, easy to accidentally give too much power when you don't want it. The O2 sensor eliminators are supposed to cure that problem, the O2 sensors only provide readings under a certain rpm to meet emission standards, when disconnected it smooths out the on/off throttle characteristic.

This thing does rev fast, hits the rev limiter in an instant!
ya i have heard the 02 sensor eliminators do nice things, tiz a shame they are only on their for emmission reasons, as a closed loop system is much better for fuel mapping!

post #16 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

KTM should have put the battery where tha char can is.

You need to put a filter on one of those lines. I for get which one. Spykes can tell you which one.

It seems some SDs are a lot more abrupt than others. KTM revamped the ECU somewhere around 08, which may explain that. I think mine is just fine.

For all their ferocious rep, You'd have to do something very stupid to get a Super Duke all crossed up. Even at that, I think you could reel in a SD long after other bikes have signed off. Either they're that good, or they inspire that much confidence. I don't know which. Mine is very easy to ride. If you get one, stock up on pucks.

post #17 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

How does the SD sound compared to a Ducati? Does it have that sweet, v-twin, torque tune? Maybe you posted a clip of your FMFs already?

post #18 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
How does the SD sound compared to a Ducati? Does it have that sweet, v-twin, torque tune? Maybe you posted a clip of your FMFs already?
I've not made a sound clip, will have to work on that. It's loud...very loud...snarling, barking loud, sounds fantastic!

post #19 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
they sound better IMO..... its like pure sex purring there.

and ya the superduke battery location is WACK.

also no need to put a filter on the vent line for the fuel tank... most bikes done have it, if you REALLY want to you can but def not necessary.

post #20 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
they sound better IMO..... its like pure sex purring there.

and ya the superduke battery location is WACK.

also no need to put a filter on the vent line for the fuel tank... most bikes done have it, if you REALLY want to you can but def not necessary.
That's what I figured, it's just a vent tube.

post #21 of 25 Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

SAS plates finally arrived off back order. Have the O2 plugs already, time to finish the desmogging!

post #22 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Tirone

Doing this Evaporectomy too

Ive got an SD also, I'm about halfway done with this process and I'm curious why you took the tank off did you have to to get to the valve on the air box you mentioned? What did you use to plug the nipple on the solenoid?

Thanks!

post #23 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcastor View Post
Ive got an SD also, I'm about halfway done with this process and I'm curious why you took the tank off did you have to to get to the valve on the air box you mentioned? What did you use to plug the nipple on the solenoid?

Thanks!
The airbox is much easier to access with the tank lifted up, and only one bolt to allow the tank to tilt so no big deal. I've completely removed the solenoid and all the associated plumbing now, as well as the SAS valves and installed block off plates.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #24 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Tirone

I understood but I don't think I want to go as far as you did...so curious what you did to block off that valve until you pulled did the SAS kit.

post #25 of 25 Old 06-16-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcastor View Post
I understood but I don't think I want to go as far as you did...so curious what you did to block off that valve until you pulled did the SAS kit.
I just wrapped electrical tape around it, not a high suction valve.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode