Custom Led brake light - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Custom Led brake light

Thought Id start a new thread for this as not to derail another. Got my CustomLed Friday and got it installed Sat. Thoughjt I was having a problem with the light but after some testing last night Im getting no power to any of the wires going to the harness or to any of the brake light switches front or rear. Anybody got any ideas what could be causing this. I checked the fuses and none of them look bad although I didnt change any out. Headlight works, front blinkers work, tail light works, and rear blinkers work. No brake light , I guess I can run a wire straight from the battery to the CustomLed yellow wire ( brake) and see if it changes, just odd Im getting no power to the above. Harness doesnt look to be tampered with? I dunno. Ideas!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Princeps Prior

Did you test the wires with a meter?

post #3 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Yep and I get nothing.

post #4 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Shorts in the switches? did you test rear brake only? That one is known to go bad. If both are bad (ie, not working) has to be something near the harness or board.

Swap your old one back in temporarily? Just to see if it's not the CustomeLED unit that's bad.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Yeah I tested the switches at the foot brake and the hand brake , no power to either. I checked the wiring for the Customled prob dozen times, like I said everything else is working just not the brake light, I'll check the fuses and run a single wire to the brake wire on the board. Not sure what else to do , last thing I need to get it inspected

post #6 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 PM
The Cripple

Double check to make sure the brake wires are connected at the brake lever. About the only thing I can think of atm other than to actually test the fuses for ohlm resistance. If its infinite, then its bad.

post #7 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

I'm sure everything was working prior to the swap? Kinda strange but if there's no power to the brake switches then its a bad fuse or broken wire, did you do an ohm test on the wires between the fuse box and switch? Could just be a bad wire

:buell:
post #8 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

did you have you battery connected while working on the light? If so, my money on the FUSE. You probable shorted something out there, Mr.Tesla

post #9 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Princeps Prior

If you dont mind me asking, how are you metering these wires out? 1 test probe on the brake wire the other where? Make sure it is a good source to ground. (A quick continuity test will prove that too). When in doubt, go straight to the battery -.

If you metering it properly (not trying to insult you, some people just dont know) then check the fuses and connections to the fuses for a bad connection. Test for voltage there. If that proves ok then we have a decent problem.

As of that point, Pick an end and work the other way. So if you do not have anything at the tail light, work your way back to the quick disconnects right there. No power there? Back to the control switch. (Brake lever/blinker relay).

Pull out the wiring diagram to see the exact order of the wiring. If you lived close to boston I'd be glad to help

post #10 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
If you dont mind me asking, how are you metering these wires out? 1 test probe on the brake wire the other where? Make sure it is a good source to ground. (A quick continuity test will prove that too). When in doubt, go straight to the battery -.
Quote:
If you metering it properly (not trying to insult you, some people just dont know) then check the fuses and connections to the fuses for a bad connection. Test for voltage there. If that proves ok then we have a decent problem.
Yeah that's what I did, worked my way to the switches, pretty sure after finding this in the air box I found a lemon of a bike and the switches are prob gone. Have a gander

post #11 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

^^ What is that?

post #12 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

A dirt dobber. A Mfer dirt dobber WTFWell main tained my ass.

post #13 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket View Post
A dirt dobber. A Mfer dirt dobber WTFWell main tained my ass.
just a little Hornet's nest inside your Hornet. Nothing to be upset about.

post #14 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Thanks man I needed the laugh. I'm sure it will all work out. Ive only had the bike two weeks, I just need to be patient and look at everything again. Maybe some sleep will make me think a lil more clear.

post #15 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket

Yeah that's what I did, worked my way to the switches, pretty sure after finding this in the air box I found a lemon of a bike and the switches are prob gone. Have a gander
How the heck was your bike still running with a Budweiser can stuck in it? Craziest mod I've ever seen, lol

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #16 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

What kind of mod involves a can of Budweiser and a big chunk of Swiss cheese!!!?

post #17 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

The beer was for me, actually had about 4 more after finding that and still not having a resolution to the brake light. Im going order new brake light switches and see if that fixes the problem.

post #18 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Ha e you tried bypassing the switches?

post #19 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

No not yet meant to do that last night but got distracted. Ill run a wire from the battery tonight to the brake light wire on the board. The switches do look to be in bad shape tho. It looks like this bike prob sat most of its life outside.

post #20 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket
No not yet meant to do that last night but got distracted. Ill run a wire from the battery tonight to the brake light wire on the board. The switches do look to be in bad shape tho. It looks like this bike prob sat most of its life outside.
I have people bring me outside bikes all the time, it sits in the weather all winter then come spring they can't figure out way it won't run...Duhhhhh!

Yeah I'd just get new switches it'll probably save ya a lot of time, but I guess that's more time to drink beer

post #21 of 35 Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

That's fine after Thanksgiving and all the ppl that were here I'm ready to drink some beer and actually get to work on my bike, 30 min her and there just doesn't get it done. Yeah this bike def sat outside. I got my new Crg levers today and the barrel bolt for the clutch was frozen solid in there and looks like Ill have to get another mounting arm. I mean if that is that bad and after the other stuff I found already, I'm afraid to drain the oil. Which I'm doing tomorrow. Ordered new switches and I'll pick some Rotella up from my work tomorrow to change the oil. I guess I will have something to keep me busy for the winter.

post #22 of 35 Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Princeps Prior

If you want the switches to last longer, throw some dielectric grease in em. It will help keep the parts from corroding. I usually slap some everywhere I can get to (within reason) once a year when I winterize.

post #23 of 35 Old 12-07-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Well I got new switches and still cannot get the brake light to work. I was looking at the wiring harness from the OEM EPC fiche finder and it shows there to be a stop sensor # 43 but there is no part # for 43 the fiche finder stops at 41 , but #18 list a stop sensor stay. Any ideas
Ronnie's Mail Order for atv parts, atv tires, snowmobile, watercraft and motorcycle featuring an OEM microfiche parts finder.

post #24 of 35 Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

The link didn't work. Just a thought, have you checked to make sure the brake light isn't always on? I seem to remember this happening to another member. To test, jump the ground and tail light wires to a battery then add the brake light wire. The tail light wire MUST be hot for the brake to work.

post #25 of 35 Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Yeah to me it seems really bright like it is on, I cant imagine the it gets any brighter.

post #26 of 35 Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

post #27 of 35 Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
The link didn't work. Just a thought, have you checked to make sure the brake light isn't always on? I seem to remember this happening to another member. To test, jump the ground and tail light wires to a battery then add the brake light wire. The tail light wire MUST be hot for the brake to work.
Quote:
Yeah to me it seems really bright like it is on, I cant imagine the it gets any brighter.
DING DING DING! I think you might of figured it out rmb! This happened to me.

Str8ghtjacket, check the rear brake switch and back it off if you can. The rear brake switch might be adjusted too tight which is causing the brake light to stay activated even with no pressure on the rear brake lever. Another possible cause is corrosion in the rear brake switch. Either way, check it out and let us know what you find.

post #28 of 35 Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

^^^I think #43 is the tilt sensor no?

post #29 of 35 Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Well tested the switches and there both good (new so I would hope so) And did a jumper to the yellow brake light wire coming off the led board and it lights up so Im thinking a ground? I dont know ? Did a continuity test and Im good there. Ideas

post #30 of 35 Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 PM
The Cripple

Str8ghtjacket, did you make adjustments to the rear brake light switch? It sounds like your brake light is continuously on.

post #31 of 35 Old 12-08-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Yeah I got new switches and I backed it (foot) off almost all the way, and you can def tell there is a difference in the brightness of the light from running light to brake light. Ready to pull my freaking hair out here.

post #32 of 35 Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Yeah I got new switches and I backed it (foot) off almost all the way, and you can def tell there is a difference in the brightness of the light from running light to brake light. Ready to pull my freaking hair out here.
Ok? So you can tell the difference between brake light and tail light now? That means your brake light works now or?

Help us understand what's going on now and we'll continue to help you troubleshoot. Don't stress.

post #33 of 35 Old 12-08-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Its working !!!! Its was a bad crimp on that stupid yellow wire. All that for nothing. Thanks to the crew here at WT for all the ideas and positive vibes.

post #34 of 35 Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 PM
i appear missing

Quote:
Its working !!!! Its was a bad crimp on that stupid yellow wire. All that for nothing. Thanks to the crew here at WT for all the ideas and positive vibes.
I win!

Glad you fixed it man!

post #35 of 35 Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode