custom fitting your helmet to your face. - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 23 Old 04-26-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

custom fitting your helmet to your face.

I have the EXO ( think it's the 700). I got tired of the wind noise so I removed the side pads and added some new foam in there. Helped a bit, so I added some closed cell, strong foam around the upper cheek areas of the pads.

Put the helmet on and it was MUCH tighter around the eye to teeth areas. This seems like it should be were the noise comes from.

I should add that I ride with an open (flipped up) shield. It's just too hot to have it down.

I got the med size and it was damn tight for a while, now it's loosened and I'm getting too much wind noise.

Q. How tight is your helmet around the lower cheek / teeth areas? Does this area effect the noise?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-26-2018, 08:31 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage

Be careful riding open helmet. I was going around a corner, open helmet, buddy in front of me kicked up a rock and pegged me in the eye. Luckily it wasnt any further and i was looking around the bend or i would have likely been blind

post #3 of 23 Old 04-26-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4cr View Post

Be careful riding open helmet. I was going around a corner, open helmet, buddy in front of me kicked up a rock and pegged me in the eye. Luckily it wasnt any further and i was looking around the bend or i would have likely been blind
I should have mentioned that I wear tight sunglasses almost all the time. I have ridden without, but very few times.

I do get pinged in the face from time to time.

post #4 of 23 Old 04-27-2018, 02:21 AM
919 Rider

I got a evo 410 with the pump up cheek pads. I will say it's a very tight fit to begin with and the pump up pads make it very snug. I wonder how much noise is actual vibrations from outside sources which are just transferred internally. Your lifted shield must make noise and vibes. I'll bet even your glasses would make wind noise.
Must be difficult for a manufacturer to make a helmet to fit all our different shaped heads.

post #5 of 23 Old 04-27-2018, 05:05 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I get my helmet pretty snug but not unbearable. I usually go by the size chart and know I am an intermediate head shape.

post #6 of 23 Old 04-27-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralVendetta View Post
I get my helmet pretty snug but not unbearable. I usually go by the size chart and know I am an intermediate head shape.
I've only had 2, HJC and this EXO and they are both medium size. The EXO was really tight at first but now has quite a bit of wind noise. The HJC didn't have as much, but it's well worn.

The problem isn't just the size of the head, it's the shape in front of the ears. Some of us have puffy cheeks, some lean, long, etc...

The good thing is that that EXO has the removable cheek pads, I can pull them out, open them up and add more pads.

The first round didn't work because the foam just crushed, I got a stronger foam now.

post #7 of 23 Old 04-27-2018, 09:54 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Well I am a little spoiled as my Aria has a bunch of different size cheek pads to ensure a precise fit. Scorpion also has the air fit system in most of their helmets thats helps. As far as wind noise coming in from the front a chin spoiler helps and to keep your helmet tipped down a little. I always wear ear plugs as the quietest helmets are most times the hottest imo with poorer airflow. My arai has great airflow but is loud as a mug.

post #8 of 23 Old 04-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Milites Gregarius

Fortunately I live relatively close to "The Service Pavilion". They provide a service where they determine your head shape, measure your head to determine the proper shell size and they adjust the cheek pads for a proper fit. This is all done at no charge with no commitment to buy a helmet. Prior to the purchase of my Signet-Q, I never had a helmet that felt good on my head. I went from buying XLs to wearing a medium. I'll likely never go anywhere else for a helmet and seriously doubt I'll every buy a different brand.

post #9 of 23 Old 04-27-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralVendetta View Post
Well I am a little spoiled as my Aria has a bunch of different size cheek pads to ensure a precise fit. Scorpion also has the air fit system in most of their helmets thats helps. As far as wind noise coming in from the front a chin spoiler helps and to keep your helmet tipped down a little. I always wear ear plugs as the quietest helmets are most times the hottest imo with poorer airflow. My arai has great airflow but is loud as a mug.
I tried to see if those pumps and pads were for sale and it looks like they are not. I think I can get the inflatable stuff from a blood pressure kit, but I don't know where to get a mini pump.

post #10 of 23 Old 04-27-2018, 04:26 PM
919 Rider

My exo 410 airfit came with instructions saying the air bladder system could be replaced if damaged. So maybe if you contact Scorpion helmets they could help you out.
Found some exo 410 on sale. Seems they are discontinued.
http://www.kitchenandbathabq.com/sco...ous-p-875.html
I was doing a Google search on replacement parts.

post #11 of 23 Old 04-27-2018, 06:53 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Ok this review video says you can purchase different size cheek pads for the 700,
. If this is the case you may find some on ebay. I know sometimes $ can get tight and it becomes a duct tape day so to speak but..... I would never alter the interior padding of that designer or company for the simple reason is it may alter the way it protects you in a crash. I mean this even if you have a $50 1Storm helmet. Just my .02

post #12 of 23 Old 04-28-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

I understand the concern over making mods to a stock helmet, but I've already broken that rule long ago. My 1st helmet was cut to allow for speakers from a headphone set. It was then drilled in 2 spots for better air flow over the head.

The 'new' one (EXO) has the speakers cut in and I'll probably drill open those vents for more flow. So adding some foam to the front of the cheek pads isn't going to bother me.

post #13 of 23 Old 04-28-2018, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
My exo 410 airfit came with instructions saying the air bladder system could be replaced if damaged. So maybe if you contact Scorpion helmets they could help you out.
Found some exo 410 on sale. Seems they are discontinued.
scorpion exo t1200 alias, Scorpion Exo 410 Air Altus Helmet White / Black,scorpion exo 400 replacement parts, scorpion exo 500 oil catalogo
I was doing a Google search on replacement parts.
That's kinda funny, I can get the full helmet for about the price of a replacement shield I wonder if the exo 400 shield would fit on my exo 700.

I could then order one with a darker shield, swap them as needed, and get the air cheek pads and then still have a spare helmet to boot!

It's sad the more of these parts don't interchange.

I remember the "good old days" with swapping car parts, you buy one you swap things around and get exactly what you want.

post #14 of 23 Old 04-28-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Report back from the first ride. The main increase was around the eye down to the middle of the cheek. It's a lot tighter and I couldn't work my sunglasses on/off very well because it was too tight.

The wind noise was still there, but down a little. Seems it's't coming from the lower part, so I'll add more there.

It's hard to know where the wind is coming from, I just assumed it came from the front.

post #15 of 23 Old 04-28-2018, 06:50 PM
919 Rider

Does the helmet have a chin curtain, maybe it's wind from under the chin area.
ViralVendetta likes this.

post #16 of 23 Old 04-28-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Does the helmet have a chin curtain, maybe it's wind from under the chin area.
No. I had one before and it just didn't stick on well. It was one of those add on types and it rolled off the bottom at speed.

post #17 of 23 Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Update: Just checked the lower part of the cheek pad. That's the area where I removed the foam because the helmet was so tight. I added some foam back and I'll see how it works now.

The problem seems to be that this helmet was REALLY tight and it hurt when I first got it. So I remove some foam from the cheek pads and then after a while the wind noise came in, now I'll add some padding back in until it gets better (if it does).

post #18 of 23 Old 04-28-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

One more update: the foam is 7/16" and I just did the "below the cheek" front to rear, about 6", up to middle on the front.

This thing is DAMN tight which is why I cut the foam out last time. I guess it'll take some time to wear down after a while.

post #19 of 23 Old 05-05-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Just did a ride with the latest amount of foam re-added to the lower cheek area. It helped, but now the helmet hurts to put on. I'm going to have to remove it all and replace it with an adjustable pad.

I might have to get another helmet or insert the pump/pads from an air adjustable one. Might even custom make one that goes around the ears.

I noticed that the lack of air around the cheeks really made it hot. So I only need it around the ears, maybe a special air bladder around the ears is all I need.

post #20 of 23 Old 05-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I solved my wind noise problem about 2 years ago thanks to another forum poster here. I purchased the bose qc20 active noise cancelling headphones. I wear them under a nice balaclava, regardless of temperature, to keep them snugly in place and keep more wind noise out. With regular headphones, wind noise would be so bad that even with music at maximum volume, I couldn't hear anything. Imagining myself listening at max volume in a quiet room made me realize just how loud wind noise can be cruising along at 100 mph. With this setup, I have the volume at maybe 2/3 max. Surprisingly, it cuts out wind noise more than other noises, so I can hear my surroundings better than I could with nothing on. They also have a mode to reverse the noise cancelling to noise amplifying, so I can essentially hear as if I didn't have a helmet on, allowing me to actually make conversation when I'm stopped. They are honestly life changing and I've never ridden without them since getting them. My helmet is a shoei qwest.

post #21 of 23 Old 05-07-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
I solved my wind noise problem about 2 years ago thanks to another forum poster here. I purchased the bose qc20 active noise cancelling headphones. I wear them under a nice balaclava, regardless of temperature, to keep them snugly in place and keep more wind noise out. With regular headphones, wind noise would be so bad that even with music at maximum volume, I couldn't hear anything. Imagining myself listening at max volume in a quiet room made me realize just how loud wind noise can be cruising along at 100 mph. With this setup, I have the volume at maybe 2/3 max. Surprisingly, it cuts out wind noise more than other noises, so I can hear my surroundings better than I could with nothing on. They also have a mode to reverse the noise cancelling to noise amplifying, so I can essentially hear as if I didn't have a helmet on, allowing me to actually make conversation when I'm stopped. They are honestly life changing and I've never ridden without them since getting them. My helmet is a shoei qwest.
One of the things I did years ago was to rig up my helmet and iPod. I have over the ear headphone speakers mounted inside my helmet with a wire coming out the front. That hooks to a head phone amp and then my old iPod Classic. I even have a remote control on the outside of the tank bag and a battery pack.

I was going to use ear plug type head phones, but they aren't very comfortable over the long run. I'm second guessing that now.

I might try in the ear type and remove some of the foam... the foam makes putting on the helmet a bit painful.

post #22 of 23 Old 05-07-2018, 11:26 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Most of them do hurt, especially the kind that are like buds that go into your ear canal. The ones I have don't really do that. I've worn them for 12 hours straight when I did a long right down the east coast one day. No problems.

post #23 of 23 Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

These kind of earbuds with a hard piece connecting the wire to the bud hurt like hell.

Ones like these, where the little wire goes directly into the bud, I can wear all day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode