cooling system questions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

cooling system questions

Downflow radiator. Assuming the system is completely empty, If one refills the cooling system and it only takes half of the usual amount of fluid, what would cause this?

And, what is the normal direction of coolant flow?

pump, block, head, radiator...?

pump, radiator, head, block...?

or.....?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM
The Cripple

air bubbles inside the engine block itself and/or fluids not getting into the block which is part of the plumbing for the cooling system. the radiator isnt the thing thing holding the coolant.

you gotta make sure you're getting fluids pumped throughout the internals of the block and crack open the air bleed screw (if there is one, i cant remember and am out of town atm, sorry). hope that helps!

post #3 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

If it took only half of the usual amount to fill to the top of the radiator cap bung there is the possibility that there is a blockage somewhere, and that can be a bit difficult to find considering the complexity of the system. In general blockages happen at choke points such as the junction between the block and the head, any valves that may be in the line, heater cores especially in the sleeper, and any other feeds such as the turbo, oil / coolant heat exchanger, system air pump, etcetera.

In general such blockages can be dislodged by thoroughly backflushing the system (against the flow direction of the thermostat, that is if it has one) with a combination of clean water and maybe 1 to 5% dish soap -- just recover it to inspect the outflow.

To determine the direction of flow start at the radiator and trace the hoses to the water pump: in most systems the pump will be the first thing after the outlet of the radiator (it's much more efficient to push it through than pull it), and distributed from there. Auxiliary feeds can come off from a variety of places, making determining flow direction a bit difficult, but with the use of basic logic you should be able to figure it out.

What engine are you currently running? With more specific information I could check in with several mechanics I know for (hopefully) more ideas.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

post #4 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

It's a c-15 cat. MBN serial number. Thank you, Rob.

and I'm sniffing the trail of ELC as a possible cause of multiple head gasket failures.

no air bleed screw on this engine, pvster. but thanks for chiming in!

post #5 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

You did fill through the radiator cap under the tank right? Is the bike running normal as far as the temperature gage?

post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

little honda engine is a-ok. big kitty quite sickly.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

New info, Rob! two thermostats! sealed coolant in block while not running. system is full. yaaaaaaay! still pushing coolant out. boooooooo!

back to original possibility....injector cups. gonna try a coolant sample tomorrow and an oil sample too.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 04:02 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
It's a c-15 cat. MBN serial number. Thank you, Rob.

and I'm sniffing the trail of ELC as a possible cause of multiple head gasket failures.

no air bleed screw on this engine, pvster. but thanks for chiming in!
ok thats too bad. i wasn't sure if you were referring to the 919 engine or a different engine that you didn't specifically mention. now we know it's a c-15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
New info, Rob! two thermostats! sealed coolant in block while not running. system is full. yaaaaaaay! still pushing coolant out. boooooooo!

back to original possibility....injector cups. gonna try a coolant sample tomorrow and an oil sample too.
that's a major bummer. i recalled several people through a big diesel mechanic friend having early issues with c-15s and head gaskets. a quick search said it's possible. either that or a defective liner flange as a possibility. here's the link: Cat C15 is pushing coolant out the header tank a new compressor - JustAnswer

good luck!

post #9 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I hope to god it's not a liner flange. The last rebuild saw 6 new ones and counterbores to boot !

This engine has been opened up more times than a New York harlot!

post #10 of 10 Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM
The Cripple

ouch! hopefully they either put the gasket back on correctly or didnt crack it if they reused the gasket after opening it up. either way, good luck and keep us posted! sorry i'm not much help.

wouldn't surprise me if rob had experience in this area either lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode