Coolant Flush Help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question Coolant Flush Help

Hey, just picked up a 2003 919 and decided to do some minor preventative maintenance on it. I started with an oil change which was easy and straight forward and then decided to flush the coolant. I read on how to do it in the service manual and looked up a video on Youtube, ...seemed pretty easy. I moved the tank up, opened the coolant fill cap and the reservoir cap, pulled out the plug bolt and drained all of the coolant. Used a siphon to get the reservoir coolant out. Ran a garden hose through the system until I was getting clean water out the other end, then used about a gallon of distilled water to flush it through.

This is where I get a little confused from the guide I was following, they said pour coolant into the reservoir container, run the bike for 2-3 min then top off the container as it should have sucked the coolant to fill the system, then repeat this a few times. When I tried this, nothing! The container stayed right where I left it. I tried opening the cap under the fuel tank and then ran it for 2-3 more minutes and still nothing. ???

I then decided to fill the system through the cap that is under the fuel tank, got about 1.5 quarts in there, and 1 quart in the reservoir. The manual says 3.2... What am I doing wrong?!? Why isn't the reservoir being sucked dry to fill the rest of the system?

Any help would be awesome!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

you should first put coolant in the radiator (cap under the tank), fill it.
Expansion reservoir doesn't take much of the coolant and it ultimately goes back into the radiator through a small hose connected just under the radiator cap.
Once your rad nice and full, start the bike and squeeze the hose to bleed some air, put cap back on. Run bike not 2-3 min but until it reaches normal operating temp so your thermostat is able to open. Wait until it cools, open the rad. cap and see if you can add some more coolant.

Did you remove thermostat when you flushed it? In any event, you will be able to put about 2 gal in it until it's full as your thermostat was closed and kept about 1 gal of coolant in the bike when you flashed it. You need to remove thermostat in order to flash the block well.

Don't worry about it. If your radiator is full, the cap and thermostat is good , you will be OK. Fill your exp. tank and ride you bike. Keep an eye on the exp. tank an fill it as needed.

Also check the hose from exp. tank to the cap and make sure it's not kinked

post #3 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Optio

Garage
I just did this to my bike last week. The manual says to fill through the rad cap then fill the coolant reservoir to the max line. Then run the bike for a few minutes then rev the bike up 3-4 times to get any air out of the system. Top up, replace cap.

I do know that if you read the manual to quickly that it looks like it says to fill through the reservoir. Had to read it a couple times to understand it correctly.

"edit" Zaq beat me to it.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)

post #4 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 06:41 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

As per the manual, you have to fill the radiator and reservoir, start the engine, let run for 2-3 min., snap the throttle 3-4 times to bleed air from the system, stop the engine and top off the radiator and reservoir if necessary. Done.

Edit: Imagine that, in the time it took me to get my manual and type my response there were two more posts...

post #5 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

I'm in the process of covering all of my cars and eventually bike to G12 (no silicates) coolant so I can keep just one type around. Key is to flush it very very well.
My VW is G12 (factory), I converted BMW to G12 last summer. Bikes are next.
I use Pentosin PENTOFROST SF. Excellent coolant and Napa has it available.
I've read too many articles which claim Honda water pump failures due to silicates. Call me crazy

post #6 of 12 Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Wow thanks for all of the responses! It is winter here so I can't ride for at least another couple months, but you think it is ok? Should I let it idle to full temp and see what happens to the levels?

Thanks again everyone!

post #7 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

aklead,
Recommendations by zaq123 are totally on target.
My only concern is with the first post. I can't tell whether the engine and radiator had coolant during the first 2-3 minutes of idling when you first tried to fill it. I'd have to ask the more experienced mechanics how long an engine could run this way, if it had been drained...
After the initial fill and short idle period i found the radiator only needed a cup or so of additional fluid to top it off.
Mark

post #8 of 12 Old 12-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

Dudes,

I just refilled my 919 cooling system with 50:50 Dex-Cool but reading some bad reports about this stuff. Any experience?

post #9 of 12 Old 12-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I would remove it and put the yellow/ green stuff in mainly based on the same report you probably read, and do it quick if there is any possibility that you mixed it with the green/ yellow as its supposed to gel when you do that and clog up the system.

post #10 of 12 Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I'm in the process of covering all of my cars and eventually bike to G12 (no silicates) coolant so I can keep just one type around. Key is to flush it very very well.
My VW is G12 (factory), I converted BMW to G12 last summer. Bikes are next.
I use Pentosin PENTOFROST SF. Excellent coolant and Napa has it available.
I've read too many articles which claim Honda water pump failures due to silicates. Call me crazy
YOU crazy?
Not a chance.
Picky, and justifiably so, yes.
Have a nice Christmas and New Years

post #11 of 12 Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandeib View Post
Dudes,

I just refilled my 919 cooling system with 50:50 Dex-Cool but reading some bad reports about this stuff. Any experience?
why on EARTH would you put the god aweful shit known as dexcool in a motorcycle.

That stuff has been known to on MANY occasions to clog the huge coolant passages in a car motor... a motorcycle... oy.

FLUSH IT IMMEDIATELY.... and i aint talking just a drain and quick flush... go out and get some legit prestone flush follow the steps and get every last trace of that dex cool out of the bike followed by at least two flushes of distilled water. Also use distilled water you can buy at the market and not hose water for flushing / mixxing of coolant.

post #12 of 12 Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Been using this in the 919's and the ST.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 2 Coolant USA.jpg (65.4 KB, 13 views)

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode