coolant - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CKutz_GO

post #1 of 19 Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

coolant

About to change my coolant and thought id check i have the right coolant.

I've got these 3 coolants on hand... I don't see silicate free mentioned anywhere...
So let me guess, can't use um?
Attached Images
File Type: png ForumRunner_20160322_220941.png (392.9 KB, 34 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-22-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

another dumb question..
all the directions for refilling with coolant say in summary:
"fill it up at the radiator neck, fill up the reserve tank. start the bike and let idle, blip the throttle a few times, top it off and replace the radiator fill cap"

am i understanding you leave the radiator cap off during that procedure?
Isn't coolant gonna shoot out of it?

i read a post from rob saying to put some rubber over the radiator fill neck and hold it down with a gloved hand cause it will get hot.

why not just replace the filler cap? prevents air escape?

so far managed to drain the coolant and only lose a drop.. but i did drop the drain plug sealing washer into the bucket of coolant

post #3 of 19 Old 03-22-2016, 10:28 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I use the Prestone Stuff on the left. Definitely don't use the Dexcool. Find a dumpster and throw that shit away! If you mix that with green antifreeze it will coagulate and clog up the system. Not sure about the WalMart stuff.

If you leave the cap off the coolant wont shoot out if you run it just long enough to get the air out.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-23-2016, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I use the Prestone Stuff on the left. Definitely don't use the Dexcool. Find a dumpster and throw that shit away! If you mix that with green antifreeze it will coagulate and clog up the system. Not sure about the WalMart stuff.

If you leave the cap off the coolant wont shoot out if you run it just long enough to get the air out.
haha thanks Mike. I think the Dexcool might be what my car takes. It's a Saab so the GM spec makes sense..

post #5 of 19 Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

If you leave the cap in it can creat a vacuum when you blip the throttle and the air escapes. When the bubbles come up the amount of coolant should drop. Also some time when you start the bike and the water pump kicks in the amount goes down for you blip the throttle. So you don't want to creat a vacuum. Blip the trotted and squeeze the hose if you can fill it up to the neck and reap until no more bubbles come out.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 08:59 AM
Discen

Flushing my 20,000 mile coolant and refill using only the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2505088571.jpg (123.4 KB, 24 views)

post #7 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 09:09 AM
Discen

I'm a genuine honda parts only nazi. The fact that I've been a tech at our local Honda dealer has taught me many a lesson. But one being that if you own a Honda-keep it Honda. Most buy a Honda because they are reliable, so why tamper with that ?

post #8 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 02:17 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I've always used Honda premix and never had any problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (31.6 KB, 12 views)

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 02:36 PM
Ian

I use the prestone on the left in your pic.

post #10 of 19 Old 03-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech9 View Post
I'm a genuine honda parts only nazi. The fact that I've been a tech at our local Honda dealer has taught me many a lesson. But one being that if you own a Honda-keep it Honda. Most buy a Honda because they are reliable, so why tamper with that ?
Where are you buying your stock Honda PAIRS block off plates?

post #11 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Texas wristtwister

Hey, about how long does a coolant flush take y'all. I am fairly certain one has never been done on my bike and I have 21.5k miles. I won't have time to have my bike out of commission for a full day or two until julyish

post #12 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

you don't need anything special to do it. probably allow 2 hrs if you're slow like me. Search coolant change and you'll find some detailed threads.. but you're basically just lifting the tank, loosen drain plug, unclamp the hoses at the pump and dump them if you want (you'll get some more fluid out but if you're flushing it, it doesn't really matter). some time for flushing/siphoning the oveflow tank. refill it and you're done.
Jonstrocity likes this.

post #13 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 01:05 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonstrocity View Post
Hey, about how long does a coolant flush take y'all. I am fairly certain one has never been done on my bike and I have 21.5k miles. I won't have time to have my bike out of commission for a full day or two until julyish
It may have been done at 16k when the valves should have had their first check. I don't have the maintenance manual or the owners manual in front of me right now but it shouldn't need to be changed until the next valve check. Honda says to reuse the old coolant but just change it.

I too am a huge fan of keeping OEM parts and fluids in the bike. There might be better stuff out there or there might not be. But the Honda quality comes from all things Honda not just the engineering.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 01:14 PM
Texas wristtwister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
It may have been done at 16k when the valves should have had their first check. I don't have the maintenance manual or the owners manual in front of me right now but it shouldn't need to be changed until the next valve check. Honda says to reuse the old coolant but just change it.

I too am a huge fan of keeping OEM parts and fluids in the bike. There might be better stuff out there or there might not be. But the Honda quality comes from all things Honda not just the engineering.
I was probably going to go with honda coolant. Didn't know if there was a better option or not. It gets pretty toasty here in south texas, and I'd like to keep my temps down as much as possible

post #15 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonstrocity View Post
I was probably going to go with honda coolant. Didn't know if there was a better option or not. It gets pretty toasty here in south texas, and I'd like to keep my temps down as much as possible
Distilled water is more than enough for a 919 in south Texas. Cheap too! Why would I do such a crazy thing? Because Ethylene Glycol has about 1/2 the heat capacity of water, even in a 50/50 mix you're looking at 75% of the heat capacity of pure water. It's a great anti-freeze, but since I see freezing temperatures for 4-12 hours at a time outside (very rarely in my garage) I don't see the point.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #16 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 02:36 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
Distilled water is more than enough for a 919 in south Texas. Cheap too! Why would I do such a crazy thing? Because Ethylene Glycol has about 1/2 the heat capacity of water, even in a 50/50 mix you're looking at 75% of the heat capacity of pure water. It's a great anti-freeze, but since I see freezing temperatures for 4-12 hours at a time outside (very rarely in my garage) I don't see the point.
One night below freezing in your garage could change your mind awfully quick

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #17 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 04:21 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You could also dilute it down to 30% and still have freezing protection. Does this really benefit a street 919 even in places that see 90-100* riding weather? Probably not.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #18 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 05:25 PM
The Cripple

Do not run straight water in your cooling system. You need some kind of lubricant properties added, whether it is anti_freeze, engine wetter. Etc.

I'm still on the original coolant with 46k on the clock, still looks new and clean. Granted. It's been filled partially at various times when I've worked on it. I will be doing my first flush with thermostat replacement soon.

post #19 of 19 Old 03-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I have never flushed mine. Just partial drain and refill when doing valve checks. Coolant always comes out pretty clear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode