I removed and measured/specced all three sets of fibers, steels & springs and picked the thickest and best of the bunch. Then last night I cleaned all the parts with brake cleaner and a old tooth brush and let everything air dry.
First Step was using red scothbrite (320 grit) to clean the steels, removing any glazing and surface impurities, just enough to take the shine off.
Next I took a coarse piece of emery cloth and taped it down to a heavy piece of glass, then wet sanded the steels on the the flat surface. I used a random spiral x-hatch pattern & medium pressure, about 30 passes per side. This left a light x-hatch pattern in the face of the plates, and should help them grip better.
Then I did the same process to the clutch fiber plates, this time using fine emery cloth and only 15 light pressure circular passes per side.
Cleaned all the parts with brake cleaner and my handy old tooth brush, then let them air dry again. After drying fully, and one more set of measurements, I submerged everything into a clean plastic tray full off Rotella-T, covered them and left them sit/soak over night.
Reinstalled the new stack up into the bike today after work, used the best clutch springs I had and topped her up with some fresh Rotella-T.
Works aces! Bike pulls hard and is crazy quick for a little 1/2 liter bike! I found a cheap set of Ferdoro clutch springs on ebay last night for $10.00 shipped, and ordered them up just to be safe. They are 10% stiffer then stock, and not 30 years old so they should help a little.
Anyway I shot a little video for my CBX550 thread, it`s such a cool little bike!