Clutch R&R tips and tricks? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 04-13-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Clutch R&R tips and tricks?

So my little CBX550f project has a issue with the clutch slipping when geting up in the revs and on the power hard. It is fine when you pull away, and works/feels good. It just slips on the high end.

Just to clarify two things that might come up...

- Bike has fresh oil Rotella-T 5w40, P.O. used OEM Honda oil.
- Also it has a new clutch cable, adjusted properly and feels great.

I have three engines on hand for this bike, so three sets of clutches/steals & springs at my disposal. Surely one of these will be solid enough to handle the power! Going to pull all the covers/baskets tonight and measure up my springs and friction plate & steals and see which set looks and specs out the best.

So..... Anyone got any tips and tricks for cleaning and refreshing an older clutch set up prior to reinstall?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Did previous owner use standard car oil? That's what caused my old dirtbike clutch plates to fail (the additives).

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
P.O. used OEM Honda oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Did previous owner use standard car oil? That's what caused my old dirtbike clutch plates to fail (the additives).
The engine in the bike right now, I know he didn't ever use standard car oil. This engine came from a guy who raced CBX550's in a vintage class. The other two, who knows....based on there overall condition I would say the chances are highly probable that they did.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Derp. Should have read your post more clearly, apologies, lol....

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2013, 07:36 PM
The Cripple

Heli, sounds like it might just be the springs themselves being able to hold up the proper tension at high rpm.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Heli, sounds like it might just be the springs themselves being able to hold up the proper tension at high rpm.
Yeah I am thinking the same thing. All the springs are within servicable limits according to the FSM, but they might have lost some tension over time.

Today I am going to clean and measure all three sets of steels/fibres & scuff up my best set of steels with some course emery cloth so they have a better bite. Then presoak everything in rotella over night and swap them into the bike tomorrow.

I have also been looking on ebay at EBC race full clutch kit, but i might start with some stiffer springs to start with. Worst thing about this bike is that because of the limited production numbers, most if not all the aftermarket support parts have to come from the UK.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Ian

FIXED!!!

I removed and measured/specced all three sets of fibers, steels & springs and picked the thickest and best of the bunch. Then last night I cleaned all the parts with brake cleaner and a old tooth brush and let everything air dry.

First Step was using red scothbrite (320 grit) to clean the steels, removing any glazing and surface impurities, just enough to take the shine off.

Next I took a coarse piece of emery cloth and taped it down to a heavy piece of glass, then wet sanded the steels on the the flat surface. I used a random spiral x-hatch pattern & medium pressure, about 30 passes per side. This left a light x-hatch pattern in the face of the plates, and should help them grip better.

Then I did the same process to the clutch fiber plates, this time using fine emery cloth and only 15 light pressure circular passes per side.

Cleaned all the parts with brake cleaner and my handy old tooth brush, then let them air dry again. After drying fully, and one more set of measurements, I submerged everything into a clean plastic tray full off Rotella-T, covered them and left them sit/soak over night.

Reinstalled the new stack up into the bike today after work, used the best clutch springs I had and topped her up with some fresh Rotella-T.

Works aces! Bike pulls hard and is crazy quick for a little 1/2 liter bike! I found a cheap set of Ferdoro clutch springs on ebay last night for $10.00 shipped, and ordered them up just to be safe. They are 10% stiffer then stock, and not 30 years old so they should help a little.

Anyway I shot a little video for my CBX550 thread, it`s such a cool little bike!

post #8 of 8 Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 PM
The Cripple

Awesome!!! Figured it was just the clutch springs on an old bike. Good call dude.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode