Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Clutch cable frayed

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Islandboy 
#1 ·
Wheres the best place to get a clutch cable? Just discovered the plastics been ripped and warn by one of the brackets behind my headlight.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
My bad... speed reading Ebay again..that's an aftermarket, anyway. Got one there last year for $12 delivered- gave it a bath and lube, now it rides in the tankbag for that special occasion. $20 at the shop is about right.
Can you shrinkwrap the sheath where it's damaged?

#11 ·
Second clutch cable broke this weekend. Luckily it happened at 1pm on Saturday within 5 miles of Beckley (WV) Honda and they had one in stock. First one (OEM) lasted 26K miles, second one 34K miles (Motion Pro). 3rd one is OEM. I do lots of twisties and use the clutch a lot. Original clutch, no slippage, i don't ride or abuse the clutch at all. I remove and lube from clutch lever end every year with 3-in-1 oil. Both cables frayed and failed at the lever end where the lead slug meets the wire strands. Is this a normal life and failure mode? I will be carrying a spare OEM cable once I hit about 20K. Thanks.

#16 ·
Mine just snapped at 26k right at the ball. My friend crashed into my bike and knocked it over good, dropping it on the lever. It snapped maybe 20 clutch pulls later. Could be entirely coincidental, but I don't really think so. Unfortunately I was on my way to a "swarm" meet up and was about an hour away from home when it snapped. Rode home without it.

#18 ·
My OEM cable broke tonight at 24k miles. I have cheapo chinese "ASV" levers so that was probably a contributing factor.

#19 ·
I got cheap ASV knock off levers and also noticed the cable had a tendency to rub on the outer threaded sleeve, where cable exits sleeve at the lever.
I found a work around. If you position the threaded outer sleeve so the slot in it faces the rider. The cable then has a free place to ride when lever is pulled in.
Clear as mud?

#21 ·
I replaced my clutch cable with an OEM one because the lever wouldn't return fully out. I still had the same problem with the new cable.

I post this for an OEM clutch cable replacement tip.

If you take a paper clip and duct tape, you can attach the lower end of the new cable to the upper end of the old cable. Bend the paper clip so that it clamps them together and duct tape over than. Then simply pull the old cable thru until you get the new cable where you want it.

So much faster than trying to feed it thru.

Seems the spring at the bottom wasn't strong enough to pull the lever out, I gave up caring about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.