Clutch cable adjustment questions. - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryce919er
  • 1 Post By crakerjac

post #1 of 10 Old 01-18-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Clutch cable adjustment questions.

Just replaced the clutch cable and I'm pretty sure I have it snaked thru properly, but I went to adjust it and it seems strange.

The cable has two adjustments upper and lower. The upper adjustment doesn't actually hold the cable, it just kinda rests inside a grove. The lower one adjusts where the end of the cable housing sits in relation to the clutch arm.

So I have it adjusted so that the lever has some play, but I notice that the cable housing can be pulled out of the upper adjuster.

If you look at the cable housing, it's fixed, meaning the two adjusters do DIFFERENT things, one (upper) adjusts the tautness of the cable housing, the lower adjusts the catch point of the clutch, meaning, when the clutch grabs in relation to the hand lever.

So wouldn't that mean that you start with the upper adjustment and make the cable housing firm, then adjust the lower for the kick in point?

It's confusing because both will effect the kick in point.

Can someone go look at their cable and see if the clutch cable housing can be pulled from the hand lever? Seems like it shouldn't do that and it also wobbles around as you use the clutch and that doesn't seem right. Seems it should be static.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Centurion

For a new install or to reset the adjustment turn in the bar adjuster all the way then adjust at the bottom. Use the bar adjuster to tweak it on the go from then on. As time goes on if the handlebar one gets too far out turn in all the way again & readjust the bottom.
Islandboy likes this.

post #3 of 10 Old 01-18-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
For a new install or to reset the adjustment turn in the bar adjuster all the way then adjust at the bottom. Use the bar adjuster to tweak it on the go from then on. As time goes on if the handlebar one gets too far out turn in all the way again & readjust the bottom.
That's what I did, I made it so that it was properly adjusted with only a little of the top being out so that I can fine tune, but the cable moves as I use the clutch and I can pull the cable out when it's just sitting there. I didn't check before install, maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 PM
919 Rider

My cable is quite firm where you describe. I can't pull it out.
Don't suppose a picture of both my ends would help?

post #5 of 10 Old 01-19-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
My cable is quite firm where you describe. I can't pull it out.
Don't suppose a picture of both my ends would help?
Now that's what I was thinking, the video and others are saying that the two adjustments are coarse and fine, but if you look at it, they look like different adjustments.

I just went out and looked at the old cable and it has some rubber stuff on the tip and has some wear marks where it's moved around. The rubber actually looks OEM, as if it wore off over time.

Maybe I'll go from one end to the other of the limits of the adjustment. Seems like one pushes the housing tight and they other is for the kick in position.

Once you set the lower in a position, you add tension to the housing with the upper one, the kick in point would be where you set the lower adjustment.

Changing the kick in point by making the housing loose just doesn't sound right. It's a fixed length cable in a fixed length housing.

post #6 of 10 Old 01-19-2018, 02:01 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Turn the top all the way in and set with the bottom.,The top adjustment is for allowing a quick adjustment as the cable stretches.

post #7 of 10 Old 01-19-2018, 01:33 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
I'd suggest refining this just a wee bit.
Try the bar adjuster screwed in all they way, then back out one or two full turns, that way the jam nut can work properly plus there's a bit of easy access slackening adjustment range up if after the initial ride the initial bottom adjustment is deemed not to quite be perfect.

post #8 of 10 Old 01-22-2018, 08:05 AM
just send it.

Garage
Anybody have any pictures? I think I might be looking at a new clutch cable in the near future...

[This space for rent]
post #9 of 10 Old 01-22-2018, 11:43 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Anybody have any pictures? I think I might be looking at a new clutch cable in the near future...
Hmmm, given how the cable rests after the failure, the picture is suggestive of a stress induced failure.

post #10 of 10 Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Hmmm, given how the cable rests after the failure, the picture is suggestive of a stress induced failure.
Picture is a good representation of why I hate previous owners. You. Just. Cant. Fix. Stupid.
mcromo44 likes this.

[This space for rent]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode