5Likes
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By rmb
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By KarlJay

Old 03-04-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

cleaning inside the forks when you change oil.

Just got the seal kit and 10w fork oil. I mentioned that I was going to use brake cleaner to clean the insides, was told that's a bad idea.

They sell a specific cleaner for inside the forks.

What do you use to clean the inside of the forks when you change your fork oil?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 08:25 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Right or wrong, I used kerosene on the old gsxr forks I originally bought for our SV650. They were pretty bad though; I don't think they'd ever been serviced. If the oil doesn't look too bad, maybe just use enough clean fork oil to fill the lower section enough to pump the oil through both the comp and rebound valves a bit, then drain again for a while before filling.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
Old 03-04-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
Right or wrong, I used kerosene on the old gsxr forks I originally bought for our SV650. They were pretty bad though; I don't think they'd ever been serviced. If the oil doesn't look too bad, maybe just use enough clean fork oil to fill the lower section enough to pump the oil through both the comp and rebound valves a bit, then drain again for a while before filling.
I do have quite a bit of kerosene left over from purging lifters on another bike.

What's everyone's opinion of using kerosene to clean inside the forks?

The guy at the shop was very knowledgable and mentioned rubber seal inside that could be damaged with brake cleaner. Would they be ok with kerosene?

Old 03-04-2017, 10:13 PM
The Cripple

Can you please stop spamming new threads? Kthx

Old 03-04-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
These are legit questions about motorcycle things that I'm working on, what do you find about this that would be considered spamming?

/spam/
verb
gerund or present participle: spamming
send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet..

Are these the same message?
Are they indiscriminate?

If you have something positive to add to this so that people here can learn about ways to service forks, then feel free to add to the conversation.
badmoon692008 likes this.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:26 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Where do you see spam? This is a valid question, IMHO.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
These are legit questions about motorcycle things that I'm working on, what do you find about this that would be considered spamming?

/spam/
verb
gerund or present participle: spamming
send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet..

Are these the same message?
Are they indiscriminate?

If you have something positive to add to this so that people here can learn about ways to service forks, then feel free to add to the conversation.
You missed the point there. You're posting a lot of new threads when they could and should be incorporated into one of the other threads you already have going. That makes searching for and finding answers easier within the same topic. It also helps searchers see what the solution was to particular issue instead of having to read the thread and find out its a cliff hanger. It's also nice for the people who subscribed to the thread.

What you deem to be positive or negative is up to you, I have no control over that. Kero in the fork tubes and lowers should be fine. Worked for me at least. Same for the oem internals. I don't know in regards to after marker or modified internals, I'm sorry.

What I did was have only the fork cap off and poured in some kero. I then used the internal valving to force the kero though a few times. The oil in my f4i forks were horrid to say in the lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Where do you see spam? This is a valid question, IMHO.
I agree, not disputing the question. It's the method of delivery that is a bit irksome, More so when the same poster already has similar threads up that would have benefited more from being posted there.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
You missed the point there. You're posting a lot of new threads when they could and should be incorporated into one of the other threads you already have going. That makes searching for and finding answers easier within the same topic. It also helps searchers see what the solution was to particular issue instead of having to read the thread and find out its a cliff hanger. It's also nice for the people who subscribed to the thread.

What you deem to be positive or negative is up to you, I have no control over that. Kero in the fork tubes and lowers should be fine. Worked for me at least. Same for the oem internals. I don't know in regards to after marker or modified internals, I'm sorry.

What I did was have only the fork cap off and poured in some kero. I then used the internal valving to force the kero though a few times. The oil in my f4i forks were horrid to say in the lease.

I agree, not disputing the question. It's the method of delivery that is a bit irksome, More so when the same poster already has similar threads up that would have benefited more from being posted there.
Ok, that's a bit different. I broke the thread into smaller threads because it makes it more specific when looking for something. In this case, I had a replace front tire only thread, front end handling thread and now fork cleaning thread. These were all about a huge problem I had with the front end.

One problem was the tire pressure. My gauge went dead and IIRC, requires re-calc once the battery goes dead. I rode the bike anyways (not a great idea).

The solution (or a solution) stayed on that thread: Fix the air pressure and get a manual gauge.

The issue of replacing a one tire only, problem solved, replace one only if you want, people do it all the time.

Issue 3, ways to clean the forks. I might have used brake cleaner, carb cleaner or acetone before, it was years ago and I don't remember. A pro suggested that it could damage the seals. The issue is what can/should be used to clean the insides of a fork.

If you search for any of those issues, you get a clean answer to the problem. It's not mixed up with some "I've got a problem, here's 10 things I fixed".

You can have a "how do you clean your forks" concern without having a bad front tire or improper PSI issue and you can find your answer.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

If you're cleaning out the inside of your forks you may as well replace all the seals anyways, so I don't see why you would worry about them. I used brake cleaner on mine and didn't notice any ill effects but that may not be the best way...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 AM
McTavish

Pvester used the wrong word, as in spamming as a variant of spam.
Perhaps in an effort to get away with just one word, instead of explaining as he subsequently did.

We need to be careful here on our beloved website.
We need more members, not the same, and definitely not fewer.
Expecting everyone to fish for a thread that might mimic what they want to start, is suggestive of nothing being left to discover, and that will send people packing or keep them from committing by active participation.

Obviously, KarlJay's new threads and posts are not spam.

True, the search feature can find stuff, but it's not a guarantee of always finding what you want - especially if you don't know enough to narrow the search down to something precise.
Imagine doing a simple search for "fork springs".
Then imagine the list of threads and the many hundreds of posts within them all.

Personally, from time to time I'll resurrect an old thread that is pertinent to a current thread.
(Like I recently did re air filters and no one even nibbled on it, I was shattered ! LoL)

Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Just got the seal kit and 10w fork oil. I mentioned that I was going to use brake cleaner to clean the insides, was told that's a bad idea.

They sell a specific cleaner for inside the forks.

What do you use to clean the inside of the forks when you change your fork oil?
Kerosene is fine.
Mineral Spirits isn't, as the "hotter" fractions it contains can attack fork seals in particular.
I'd assume that Chlorinated Brake Parts Cleaner would be bad news for the same reason.

I use Kerosene.
But you have to let it drain well when a partially assembled 919 fork is being cleaned.
Really well, and if you don't, the new fork oil will be contaminated and effected by it.
A 919 fork should be drained standing up - meaning the cartridge retaining bolt needs to be removed.
This is to help the kero drain down from the fork seal, instead of towards it.
You don't want kero getting past the bottom lip of the fork seal, as it will ruin the grease that is supposed to be between the bottom and top lips of the seal.
If one can not do a full strip, after letting the kero collect and drain out, simply sacrifice some new fork oil as a flushing agent, drain that, and go from there.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
If you're cleaning out the inside of your forks you may as well replace all the seals anyways, so I don't see why you would worry about them. I used brake cleaner on mine and didn't notice any ill effects but that may not be the best way...
Now there's a great point. I bought the upper fork seals, maybe I should have bought all the inner seals too. In fact, they should sell them as a whole kit. How expensive can a few o rings be and why not replace them once you're in there?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Pvester used the wrong word, as in spamming as a variant of spam.
Perhaps in an effort to get away with just one word, instead of explaining as he subsequently did.

We need to be careful here on our beloved website.
We need more members, not the same, and definitely not fewer.
Expecting everyone to fish for a thread that might mimic what they want to start, is suggestive of nothing being left to discover, and that will send people packing or keep them from committing by active participation.

Obviously, KarlJay's new threads and posts are not spam.

True, the search feature can find stuff, but it's not a guarantee of always finding what you want - especially if you don't know enough to narrow the search down to something precise.
Imagine doing a simple search for "fork springs".
Then imagine the list of threads and the many hundreds of posts within them all.

Personally, from time to time I'll resurrect an old thread that is pertinent to a current thread.
(Like I recently did re air filters and no one even nibbled on it, I was shattered ! LoL)
In the world if databases we have what's known as data normalization. It's where you disconnect information or break it down into smaller parts so that you get a more accurate results. In this case, someone searching for fork cleaning should be able to get to a thread that contains info specific for that vs having to dig thru another thread where the mention of cleaning methods might have the info someone's looking for, but is hidden by a header that could be unrelated.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:17 PM
McTavish

Red face

Quote:
In the world if databases we have what's known as data normalization. It's where you disconnect information or break it down into smaller parts so that you get a more accurate results. In this case, someone searching for fork cleaning should be able to get to a thread that contains info specific for that vs having to dig thru another thread where the mention of cleaning methods might have the info someone's looking for, but is hidden by a header that could be unrelated.
Aaahhhhhhh, so, if no one ever thread jacked and everyone titled things succinctly in a highly accurate way, all would be well and there'd be no need of data normalization!

Old 03-06-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Aaahhhhhhh, so, if no one ever thread jacked and everyone titled things succinctly in a highly accurate way, all would be well and there'd be no need of data normalization!
Now your getting it. While you're at it, how about getting people to obey the traffic laws? Do that and I'll let all the tread jacking you want
mcromo44 likes this.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:23 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Now your getting it. While you're at it, how about getting people to obey the traffic laws? Do that and I'll let all the tread jacking you want
Ha, good luck with that lol. A lot of the old timers on this forum derail threads like its an art form.

I apologize for my crassnes. I just get frustrated with finding threads that seem it'll have the answer since it has the problem posted, only to find no solution was shared. Really irks me.

As to the search, the wt search function is actually pretty decent in light of several other forums where the search is beyond useless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in