Cleaning a Greased up Chain - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Cleaning a Greased up Chain

Ok guys so I maybe opening a can of worms, and I have scoured oil threads for hours, but I have chain cleaning question. Yes yes I know not again. My 9er is second hand, with 9000kms, but the previous owner used some type of grease to lube the chain. I want to completely clean it, without taking it off if I can. And then apply a clean drying lube like many of you speak so highly off. My question is what should I use to clean all the grease off that wont harm my O-rings etc. Right now I'm tossing up between WD40 or kero, or maybe metho or degreaser. Anyway I would appreciate some input and opinions. Also I have ruled out using a brush of any sort, or should I consider using one.
Thanks in advance WT!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 03:55 AM
no max no more

i use chain cleaner in a spray can once in a while and spray the hell out of it...fast and easy....dont like dry lubes seems to do nothing for rollers

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #3 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Immune

http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/B...hain-Lube.html

This is the lube I'm thinking I'll start using.

post #4 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I think WD-40 does a good job for cleaning. I usually do a thorough cleaning with mineral spirits when I change my tire. Poor some in a shallow pan and let one section at a time sit in it and then clean it off with a soft bristle brush.

post #5 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance
i use chain cleaner in a spray can once in a while and spray the hell out of it...fast and easy....dont like dry lubes seems to do nothing for rollers
Where abouts can I get me my hands on some, given its designed for chains it may be the way to go.

post #6 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike
I think WD-40 does a good job for cleaning. I usually do a thorough cleaning with mineral spirits when I change my tire. Poor some in a shallow pan and let one section at a time sit in it and then clean it off with a soft bristle brush.
That's what I was this inking at first, there are so many varying opinions about using a brush. What sort do you use? I'm thinking tooth brush... I'll just grab my house mates then put it back lol!

post #7 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate919 View Post
That's what I was this inking at first, there are so many varying opinions about using a brush. What sort do you use? I'm thinking tooth brush... I'll just grab my house mates then put it back lol!
The one I use is a wheel cleaning brush looks something like this

I think you could use a paintbrush or something too.

post #8 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike

The one I use is a wheel cleaning brush looks something like this

I think you could use a paintbrush or something too.
A paint brush is a great idea. That's nice and soft!

post #9 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

WD 40 is great for cleaning chains, it sprays on abd cuts through the gunk very well. Of course it can be messy too. Any old scrubby brush will work fine, and you dont need to spend extra for specual "chain cleaner". Kerosene in a tub works well too if you take the chain off the sprockets once in a while...you can even reuse it a few times since the grease & gunk will mostly settle to the bottom of the container.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #10 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow
WD 40 is great for cleaning chains, it sprays on abd cuts through the gunk very well. Of course it can be messy too. Any old scrubby brush will work fine, and you dont need to spend extra for specual "chain cleaner". Kerosene in a tub works well too if you take the chain off the sprockets once in a while...you can even reuse it a few times since the grease & gunk will mostly settle to the bottom of the container.
So are you saying I should use WD40 and kero? Or just one then the other. Sorry shadow but I'm a little dense lol!

EDIT. I reread your post and it all makes sense!

post #11 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

my cleaning instructions for my new DID x-ring chain says to not use a brush of any kind to clean. might be overkill, but i plan on following their directions.

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #12 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 05:55 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

I spray mine down with WD-40, let it soak for a minute then wipe clean with a shop rag. Then apply the lube of your choice.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #13 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

With mine, I soak a rag in WD-40 and give it a good wipe down from both sides and top/bottom. I have an X-ring chain as well... I swear there's a conspiracy with those grunge brushes, WAY too aggressive

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #14 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 AM
The Cripple

yup, dont use grunge brushes.

i use kero in a tub and take the rear tire off, leaving the chain on the front sprocket and clean a section at a time. i refuse to use wd-40 because i ride daily and it rains a lot here which is bad since wd-40 attracts water like no other. kero works great, is super cheap, and reuseable.

as for chain lube, i'd stay away from bel-ray personally. if you want a quick drying but great lube, get the dupoint teflon wax lube. stuff is AWESOME!

post #15 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
wd-40 attracts water like no other.
it does???

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #16 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

This is a great thread - everyone has an opinion. And most have a lot of merit.

I agree with Pvster and i stay away from WD-40 but for another reason. While it is a great solvent it has additives that damage rubber (it softens nitrile and makes it swell. And most o-rings are nitrile). Kerosene is great - just a bit smelly.

Mark

post #17 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
it does???
It's a little known fact that the tsunami was caused by some guy in Japan cleaning his chain with WD-40.

Actually I think WD-40 disperses water.

post #18 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I used an old rectangular tupperware box and a soft bristled toothbrush. Pull the chain off the rear tire, drop the slack into the tupperware bowl, pour in about 2-3 cups of kerosene, and go at it.

Took me almost an hour to get it REALLY clean, but then again, it was VERY dirty.

Then put the chain back on the sprocket and lube it.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #19 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Enginerd

Kerosene and a tooth brush

- Bryan
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 ABS
2010 VW GTI DSG
1976 Datsun 280Z Turbo
post #20 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Some people use Kerosene as a solvent, others use WD-40...

I use diesel. It is chemically very similar to Kerosene and I have a bunch of it around for the truck.

Diesel is also more widely available than Kerosene; most gas stations carry it.

I agree that the Grunge Brush is WAY too aggressive for cleaning O-ring chains. A good scrubbing would easily tear out the O-rings.
A toothbrush is plenty!

post #21 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Princeps Prior

Yeah, i'm gonna have to get rid of the grunge brush. In terms of a cleaning solution, i grabbed some citrus chain cleaner, seemed to work well. Next time I'm gonna try kerosene

post #22 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
It's a little known fact that the tsunami was caused by some guy in Japan cleaning his chain with WD-40.

Idiot probably did it while the bike was in 1st gear with his throttle lock on redline..

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #23 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
you're right, it does disperse water, and works well as that was it's original purpose. i cannot find any proof that it attracts water online, and appears to be just as many opinions regarding whether it does or not. i just know in my personal opinion that wd-40 is not a great, longstanding lube and once it's gone water goes right back to where it once was. this was proven my many experiences working as maintenance for an apartment complex rental company.

i previously used to service many bathroom exhaust fans with wd-40 after a good cleaning due to all the dust build-up, only to continuously have the problem, and wd-40 didn't last very long no matter what i did, and from what i seen, would just simply collect even more dust than before. once i got a tip from an older and wiser maintenance guy to switch to a wax based lubricant, i haven't looked back since! i still use wd-40 to clean and service moving parts, but it is no longer the lubricant of choice for me. since i discovered dupoint teflon lubricant a couple years ago, i've been using it ever since!!!

post #24 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
... I still use wd-40 to clean and service moving parts, but it is no longer the lubricant of choice for me. ...
WD-40 is a crappy lube, a decent solvent, and pretty darned good at displacing water... which is what it was developed for

If I recall correctly, WD-40 is the 40th formula that they tried in their quest to find a Water Displacing product.

ETA:
Yup. --> WD-40 Company and Product History

CB550-Four; CB750F; VF1000F
750 Nighthawk; CB900F; CBR1000rr
post #25 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Thanks for all the awesome input guys! This is exactly what I was after!!! :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster

as for chain lube, i'd stay away from bel-ray personally. if you want a quick drying but great lube, get the dupoint teflon wax lube. stuff is AWESOME!
Hey PV why don't you like belray? I actuality use all belray products, including oil (semi synthetic) and air filter oil. The reason its what what my local motorcycle store use for their services, so they stock it and put me on to it. Its expensive, but everything in Australia is! I would love to get my hands on some of the DuPont Teflon lube but it's no where to be found in OZ, and it is like a buzzilion for shipping if I buy it off amazon. I assumed the belray would be very similar. Am I wrong?

post #26 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM
The Cripple

yup, grew up with the stuff. grandfathers and father used wd-40 as a lubricant their entire life, as did i for most of mine until i converted lol. still know MANY people who use it as a lube still and refuse to be told otherwise.

one VERY handy use i've found for wd-40 is to re-seat the bead and inflate the tire at the same time unless you get one that's sat on a shelf for a bit too long which seemed to happen to me pretty often, so now i use starting fluid

post #27 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Yep, if i recall correctly you won't find the word lubricant in any advertisements or claims for WD-40.

As a correction: I looked at my current can of WD-40 and it does say lubricates... I just don't trust it for that... LOL

Mark

post #28 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Hey PV why don't you like belray? I actuality use all belray products, including oil (semi synthetic) and air filter oil. The reason its what what my local motorcycle store use for their services, so they stock it and put me on to it. Its expensive, but everything in Australia is! I would love to get my hands on some of the DuPont Teflon lube but it's no where to be found in OZ, and it is like a buzzilion for shipping if I buy it off amazon. I assumed the belray would be very similar. Am I wrong?
personal preference in all honesty, i've tried every formula of the bel-ray stuff except for their newest one (so i cant comment on that one specifically) and i've always had issues with chain fling and dirt being attracted to it rather quickly. more so when riding in the rain which happens more often than not here

that dupoint stuff is WORTH it. that's all i can say. are you sure there's none in aussie? if not, that's too bad. might be worthwhile to look into a wax based lube that similar and give that a whirl, unless you dont mind the chain fling/constant cleaning, then stick with what you know works for YOU.

post #29 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:51 PM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:

i use kero in a tub and take the rear tire off, leaving the chain on the front sprocket and clean a section at a time. i refuse to use wd-40 because i ride daily and it rains a lot here which is bad since wd-40 attracts water like no other. kero works great, is super cheap, and reuseable.

Quick Google search pops up an aerosol spray and something that looks like it comes out of a squeeze bottle.... I tend to over lube my chain with the aerosol sprays... and I've been looking for some sort of lube that I can control the flow better (e.g. not have to clean up a nice lube stain on the floor)

[This space for rent]
post #30 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster

personal preference in all honesty, i've tried every formula of the bel-ray stuff except for their newest one (so i cant comment on that one specifically) and i've always had issues with chain fling and dirt being attracted to it rather quickly. more so when riding in the rain which happens more often than not here

that dupoint stuff is WORTH it. that's all i can say. are you sure there's none in aussie? if not, that's too bad. might be worthwhile to look into a wax based lube that similar and give that a whirl, unless you dont mind the chain fling/constant cleaning, then stick with what you know works for YOU.
I hate chain fling! I continue searching the net trying to find it! Even I buy a box to make it worth my while, it doesn't go out of date does it lol! And I ride in the rain a lot to, due to not having a cage, needing to get to uni and enjoying the unpredictability of Melbourne weather.

post #31 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I just did a quick google and found this on XDTALK.com:

I seen the baking soda one and I forgot I had this one. Hopefully it will help some out, now so do seem far fetched..

1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
5. Keeps flies off cows.
6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7. Removes lipstick stains.
8. Loosens stubborn zippers.
9. Untangles jewelry chains.
10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
18. It removes black scuff marks from t he kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide..
21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
22.. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31. Removes splattered grease on stove.
32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37. Florida 's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42.. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #32 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The problem with WD-40 as a lubricant is it traps dirt (like most oily substances do).

For example, I clean computers once in a while and those darn crappy fans just like to stick. Pull the sticker off, pull the rubber plug and put WD-40 in there. Well, that may get you a month before it starts gumming up again, worse than before.

However, spray some graphite lube in there or even a few shots of Silicone spray? Once dry, it's lubed and lasts MUCH longer. Also, the Silicone spray continues to repel moisture.

Spray the stuff on your gloves and other leather products if you want a quick water barrier (without the greasy feel of WD-40).

EDIT: Don't get any kind of cleaner/lubricant (including Silicone) on your tires! Silicone can also make a smooth garage floor like slippery snot to rubber, so put a catch pan down if you use it!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #33 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
EDIT: Don't get any kind of cleaner/lubricant (including Silicone) on your tires! Silicone can also make a smooth garage floor like slippery snot to rubber, so put a catch pan down if you use it!
That last part is worth repeating.
No one expects concrete to be slippery like ice, yet it can be!

CB550-Four; CB750F; VF1000F
750 Nighthawk; CB900F; CBR1000rr
post #34 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
no max no more

Quote:
Where abouts can I get me my hands on some, given its designed for chains it may be the way to go.
i see it at all motorcycle shops...last one i got at honda

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #35 of 50 Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Am I the only one that uses Simple Green to clean my chain? I feel like such an outsider.

post #36 of 50 Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleBrawl View Post
Am I the only one that uses Simple Green to clean my chain? I feel like such an outsider.
i dont see a problem with the simple green, but i see potential problems with rinsing it off. do you rinse it off? if so, with what?

post #37 of 50 Old 03-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Quote:
i dont see a problem with the simple green, but i see potential problems with rinsing it off. do you rinse it off? if so, with what?
Nope, I don't rinse it off. Hasn't been an issue yet.

post #38 of 50 Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

post #39 of 50 Old 03-31-2012, 02:11 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
Can you make one of those for me please?

post #40 of 50 Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Can you make one of those for me please?
I would make 10s of 1000s of those and infomercial the crap out of it. Probably become rich instantly.
However, I don't own patent rights and reproducing this modern marvel would create legal and moral issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode