Clank sound when ridding over a 1/2" bump. - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,136
Rep Power: 1
 
Clank sound when ridding over a 1/2" bump.

I've been screwing around with the rear shock by compressing the spring a bit more and now I'm noticing a clank noise going over something very small. Something like a 1/4~1/2" variance in the street like a tiny gutter lip, causes a noise in the rear.

Does the rear shock have a rubber cushion or is there some part of the rear suspension that would clank when hitting a tiny quick bump?

KarlJay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 12-10-2017, 03:50 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 1
 
Can you get your bike up on a centre stand and check for play? Could be shock, wheel bearings or swingarm bearing.

Islandboy is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 12-10-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,136
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Can you get your bike up on a centre stand and check for play? Could be shock, wheel bearings or swingarm bearing.
No center stand, I've been able to balance it on the kickstand to adjust the shock spring. Kinda hard to check much that way. I can feel it, it's as if the shock was missing a rubber bushing and had a bit of play in it or something.

KarlJay is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 12-10-2017, 05:41 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 1
 
My stock rear shock is off bike. I took some pics of the end mounts. So you can see what's supposed to be there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-12-11 11_1512952674589.36.21.jpg (95.6 KB, 6 views)

Islandboy is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 12-10-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,136
Rep Power: 1
 
Ok, so it had a rubber coated eye. If that rubber is gone, it would cause a clanking. Damn, I'd hate to invest in a stock shock. I'm going to have to lean her on the side and wiggle that shock.

KarlJay is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 12-10-2017, 09:52 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 1
 
Actually that rubber you see is a dust seal. The metal centre piece is a collar/tube. Behind the rubber dust seal is a needle bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: png 30807fea42d4cee0fb530d8ea40ca242f3743d0b_1512967764793.png (118.9 KB, 11 views)

Islandboy is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 12-11-2017, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,136
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Actually that rubber you see is a dust seal. The metal centre piece is a collar/tube. Behind the rubber dust seal is a needle bearing.
That would be strange if that bearing was bad, but I guess it could happen. Maybe I need to find a way to raise the rear while having the suspension hang free.

Maybe use the engine puller to life the back from the rear grab.

KarlJay is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 12-11-2017, 04:36 AM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 1
 
Yeah I can't really see that bearing going bad either. But it's worth a look even if just to rule it out.
I've lifted the rear of the bike before by using the grab handle. I suppose the only problem I can see would be stopping the bike moving from side to side while your yanking things around.

Islandboy is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 PM
250xc-f
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 1
 
I have a 2002 with just over 10,000 miles and mine is making that sound as well. I thought it was the tool kit so I took it out of the bike, but that sound is still there. I really don't know how something from the rear shock could be worn out with that many miles, but I sure don't know what that sound is. Other than it is irritating.

250xc-f is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,136
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250xc-f View Post
I have a 2002 with just over 10,000 miles and mine is making that sound as well. I thought it was the tool kit so I took it out of the bike, but that sound is still there. I really don't know how something from the rear shock could be worn out with that many miles, but I sure don't know what that sound is. Other than it is irritating.
Glad to know it's not just me, but at the same time, there's just the two of us... So my main concern is safety and it seems like the only thing that could cause that noise would be the shock. What else could it be? Front swing arm connection?

It seems like it has to be a moving part of the rear.

KarlJay is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 12-12-2017, 06:36 AM
250xc-f
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 1
 
I can't argue with you.
I have mine in my living room on a rear pit bull stand (7 degrees with 4" of blowing snow outside) anyway I'm going to get underneath and check for anything that might be loose....

When they were released I bought a new 1973 Honda CR 250 M Elsinore and after one season the swing arm bushings were worn out completely. I took it off and sent it to So-Cal to a shop, that I can't remember the name of now, and they replaced the plastic type stock bushings with bronze bushings. With all that said it was 44 years ago, (man I guess I am getting old) and it just can't be that these bikes have that problem ?

250xc-f is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 12-12-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,136
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250xc-f View Post
I can't argue with you.
I have mine in my living room on a rear pit bull stand (7 degrees with 4" of blowing snow outside) anyway I'm going to get underneath and check for anything that might be loose....

When they were released I bought a new 1973 Honda CR 250 M Elsinore and after one season the swing arm bushings were worn out completely. I took it off and sent it to So-Cal to a shop, that I can't remember the name of now, and they replaced the plastic type stock bushings with bronze bushings. With all that said it was 44 years ago, (man I guess I am getting old) and it just can't be that these bikes have that problem ?
The weather sounds fun I'm in California and it's 60's for the last few weeks and the forecast is for 60's and I just got in from riding all over town.

I'm not sure what would make the noise, but few are talking about it, so it seem rare.

My bike is my daily ride, so I can only tear it down so far before I have to stop.

KarlJay is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 12-12-2017, 07:29 PM
250xc-f
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 1
 
KarlJay I envy you and your 12 month riding possibilities.
Do you have access to rec gas ?
I hate ethanol that the Obama white house now has in our gas.
Here in northern lower Michigan I can get rec gas at two different stations that are close to me, one at 90 and the other at 91 octane. I use nothing else in my 919 or my KTM 250 xc-f.

I am still searching to find this problem....

250xc-f is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 12-12-2017, 08:57 PM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,765
Rep Power: 1
 
Both of you, check your exhaust hanger before the up sweep on the under side. Its likely cracked or broken, making the clank sound.

Pvster is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 12-13-2017, 03:11 AM
250xc-f
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 1
 
Thank you Pvster.
I really appreciate your help.
I will check that hanger here shortly....

250xc-f is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 12-13-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,136
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250xc-f View Post
KarlJay I envy you and your 12 month riding possibilities.
Do you have access to rec gas ?
I hate ethanol that the Obama white house now has in our gas.
Here in northern lower Michigan I can get rec gas at two different stations that are close to me, one at 90 and the other at 91 octane. I use nothing else in my 919 or my KTM 250 xc-f.

I am still searching to find this problem....
I'm not sure what rec gas is. I remember someone telling me he had barrels of fuel that were marked with something because it had limited use. I don't remember how it was marked, maybe a die and scent.

Either way you slice it, California has some of the most restrictive rules. I've heard the CA blend gas adds a lot to the overall costs of everyone's gas.

KarlJay is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 12-13-2017, 07:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,218
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Another thing to check is the muffler bolt.. Somehow I had one back out on me last year and didn't notice until I went to wipe off the exhaust cover and the whole muffler was moving around

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 12-13-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,136
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
Another thing to check is the muffler bolt.. Somehow I had one back out on me last year and didn't notice until I went to wipe off the exhaust cover and the whole muffler was moving around
Good point. I should start grabbing things and see what's loose. I did add some brackets a while back and then took them off, maybe something worked loose.
badmoon692008 likes this.

KarlJay is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 12-14-2017, 11:07 AM
250xc-f
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 1
 
Rec. Gas is available here in Michigan right at the pump in many gas stations.
It has no ethanol and it is premium grade.
It costs maybe 10 cents more a gallon.

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html





I have been under my 919 a number of times and the exhaust pipe mount is solid on both sides. Now it could be cracked right where the bolt goes through, but unless I loosen the system and take it off I will not know about it for sure. I have also checked both mufflers and their shields and they seem to be tight. I have searched my Honda Service manual looking at the diagrams.

Thanks badmoon and KarlJay

250xc-f is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome