Changed the plugs, now the radiator fan won't cut on - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Changed the plugs, now the radiator fan won't cut on

So I successfully changed the plugs this past weekend, however while in traffic yesterday I noticed that the radiator fan didn't cut on at the appropriate time. Fortunately, I got out of traffic before the engine got too hot, but the fan doesn't cut on.

I checked the wires coming from the fan, they look fine. I checked the fuse, it's fine. I checked all the connections I could find, and I don't seem to have pulled any loose. So I'm not sure what I did...

I don't think it's of relevance, but I used the NGK CR9EH-9 plugs.

Also, where can I get some spare parts? Despite my having thought I tightened the bolts back onto the radiator sufficiently, one has fallen out...

Thanks for any and all input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kently View Post
So I successfully changed the plugs this past weekend, however while in traffic yesterday I noticed that the radiator fan didn't cut on at the appropriate time. Fortunately, I got out of traffic before the engine got too hot, but the fan doesn't cut on.

I checked the wires coming from the fan, they look fine. I checked the fuse, it's fine. I checked all the connections I could find, and I don't seem to have pulled any loose. So I'm not sure what I did...

I don't think it's of relevance, but I used the NGK CR9EH-9 plugs.

Also, where can I get some spare parts? Despite my having thought I tightened the bolts back onto the radiator sufficiently, one has fallen out...

Thanks for any and all input.
Kent, if your talking about the lower right hand or left hand bolt it is just a standard deal you can pick up anywhere. I've long since lost mine and now have replacement Lowes parts in it!

As for the fan, I would check to see if you can hot wire it first. No point in beating yourself to death looking for a short if the fan motor is bad. If it works fine getting direct power, I'd then start looking at the fuse's, then your connections from the fan all the way to the thermo-switch, then to the relay and on.

post #3 of 9 Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

On the hardware, there is only one side bolt and one in the center. I think its the left side that doesnt get a bolt, there is just a tab that slips into a grommet and the right side gets a bolt.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
On the hardware, there is only one side bolt and one in the center. I think its the left side that doesnt get a bolt, there is just a tab that slips into a grommet and the right side gets a bolt.
yes, you are correct. My bad!

post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

The fan is turned on by a relay pulled up by a signal from the ECU -- there is no thermo switch. The only fuse directly related is the fan / LCD (instrument display), so if you can see the trip / odo, the circuit is getting power.

There is a two pin connector just in front of the radiator cap fitting that provides power and ground to the fan motor, check to see if it's properly plugged in and all the pins are seated in the connector bodies: you may have disconnected the plug to get at the spark plugs and forgotten to reconnect it, or not fully seated them together. If you can't find an obvious mistake it will take a bigger dive into the electrical system, but problems of this sort are usually related in some way to the area you were working on, so always check there first.

Bon chance

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

man... I'm staying away from this thread! you all keep pickin on me... LOL...

post #7 of 9 Old 08-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
yes, you are correct. My bad!
I only knew that because I thought I had lost one too

post #8 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Know that guy that you never want to let around tools 'cause he always screws something up? That's me. In any case, with the help of someone with a more discerning eye I figured out what was wrong...

The mounting bolt on the top (the one I lost) goes through the hole with the rubber grommets attached to it and through a plastic piece behind it. Somehow I managed to wedge the fan into that plastic piece when putting everything back together, thus the bolt never went through it and the fan was unable to move.

The fan still works, but it's pretty warped now, so I'll probably need to acquire a new one of those, and it looks like changing it out isn't going to be very fun... I can't believe I did that. ;(

Anyone know the part number for said fan?

post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Since you are in Chicago... you can head over to Service Honda (5634 Hohman Ave., Hammond IN 46320) and pick one up. I'd call them first since they don't really stock much. Or you can just go to Service Honda Home of the CR500AF 500AF 500AFX Junior-X - Honda Motorcycle Parts and have it shipped!

19015-MCZ-003 SHROUD
19020-MCF-013 FAN, COOLING
19030-MCZ-000 MOTOR ASSY., FAN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode