Chain/sprocket noise? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Chain/sprocket noise?

So I've only very recently noticed this noise and it seems to be coming from somewhere around the front sprocket. Its definitely more noticable when I'm walking or rolling the bike around

is it bad or is it normal?? any ideas what might be the cause?

Chain tension is within spec and I've been lubing fairly religiously approximately every 200 kms
sprocket is also tight

video:

Chain/sprocket noise on Hornet 900 - YouTube

Just as aerodynamic airplanes are simple and streamlined, a motorcycle--which manages to balance an engine and a seat between two wheels--has a mechanical integrity, with intertwining pipes, chains and springs, that is fascinating to behold - Peter Plagens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Just watched it. That's a common indication of a tight chain. Did you check the slack after a proper lubing?
It's tight or your chain is done. How many miles on the chain, counter and sprocket?

*edit: Just watched again on my cell phone. It looks like you've got rust on your chain. Or is that dirt?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Im the third owner, I've done approximately 5000km on it (2485.5 miles). Bike now has 43250km (26874 miles)
going through the previous owners servicing receipts and there is no indication of the chain of sprockets being replaced

and Im not sure if its rust, I haven't attempted to clean the chain I did get some kero/grease mixture on it while attempting to clean out the front sprocket cover though lol

Just as aerodynamic airplanes are simple and streamlined, a motorcycle--which manages to balance an engine and a seat between two wheels--has a mechanical integrity, with intertwining pipes, chains and springs, that is fascinating to behold - Peter Plagens

post #4 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I'll let someone else watch your vid (on a tablet or pc). My guess is you need a new chain. Along with counter and sprocket

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Honestly, doesn't sound too bad to me - You gotta remember that when you have the back end of the bike blocked up, the chain drops farther and may hit the lower chain guard. Something it doesn't usually do when planted on the tires. Have you looked inside the swingarm area to see if you're hitting somewhere?

Do a real good clean and lube of the chain, then move the rear tire forward a bit. Repeat the sound test, see if it helps or not.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Discen

It is either the chain too tight( rotate the chain to find the tightest spot and adjust from there) or you have a link or two sticking and as that passes over the sprocket it clicks.

post #7 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Man and Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehirt
or you have a link or two sticking and as that passes over the sprocket it clicks.
I had the same noise once.For me, It was caused by a combination of a bad chain and a front sprocket starting to wear. I could see the links and sprocket not mate easily as I ran it with my hand. Once I put a new chain on the sound went away.

post #8 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Thanks guys
My local doctor (mechanic) assures me that its completely normal for a chain to sound like that when its beginning to wear
Looks like I"ll be doing the 17/44 conversion sooner than later!

post #9 of 10 Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Princeps Prior

Mine was doing this it was the rear wheel bearings. I also heard the front sprocket can get worn where it slides onto the shaft. You can try to grease the sprocket in the middle of it and put it back on. I replaced my chain and sprockets only to find out it was the wheel bearings all along. Good luck

post #10 of 10 Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Ah, the joy of the smooth and quiet of a new chain and sprockets.
I don't know why I endure the growl to get every last mile out of the old stuff - but I do. I have a new set in the garage now - just waiting for the next big road trip or something.

Chain Wear: If you have 24,000 mi on the original set, just count your blessings and go shopping. Check for uneven stretch by measuring the slack in different parts of the chain. Going from too tight to too loose over and over can be a source of noise. Check for excessive heat - if the rollers are turning blue it's time for a new set. Chain failure can do a variety of things - all of them bad - all of them expensive.

Replacement: Tensile strength is king! If you put a chain rated less than 10,000# on a bike with this much torque it will not have a long life. Spend the extra 50 bucks on a beefy one. "Conversion" is fine for tweaking the ratio but unless it's a dedicated track bike where every ounce matters, Don't go down to 520. 530 generally has a higher tensile strength and more meat on the sprockets and will last longer.

Chain Tension: After installing the new stuff, get a baseline reference by aligning the countershaft, swingarm pivot and rear axle (you may have to pull the shock just this once) to find the tightest point and set about 1/2" of free play. Then connect the shock and drop the rear to full droop and measure the free play again. That will me your setting each time you adjust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode