Chain Oiler for the Lazy - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 10-04-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Chain Oiler for the Lazy

I made a chain oiler setup for my 9'er that I've been testing out for a couple of thousand miles. For the most part it's totally unnecessary, but I like to tinker . So far its working good so figured I would post a few pics.

Here's the general set-up. It's gravity feed and I have been using it about every time I get gas (160-170 mi). The restrictor allows about 1 drop every 2-3 seconds. So far I have just been using regular 40W motor oil, but will try gear oil next.

The delivery to the chain is through a brush that is normally used in industrial applications to lubricate chains (I assume in manufacturing plants). The bristles are nylon and really soft (kinda like a paintbrush) so I don't think there is any danger to the o-rings, but I will continue to monitor.

The supply valve is just under my left leg on the side of the bike and I can reach it while riding with a little effort or just turn it on at a stoplight.

Under the seat is the Reservoir, made from 1-1/2" PVC and a few fittings...

...the charging valve and restrictor...

...and the Vent Valve...

Here's a wider view of everything under the seat

This is about what my chain normally looks like. I think this was about 50 or 60 miles after I used it.

So far so good. The nice thing about the brush application so far is that you don't have to worry about your speed. It puts and seems to maintain a very thin layer of oil to the rollers. I do get some fling mainly on the underside of the swing arm and inside the front sprocket cover, but too nothing annoying.

Total cost about $50. The brush was the most expensive and was $21. The rest of the pieces and parts were roughly $30 and found at Lowes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Your that lazy you decided to become unlazy and make a chain oiler

j/k Interesting design Mike. Good on ya

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #3 of 23 Old 10-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Nice job!

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci

post #4 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 03:11 AM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Fixing to make one of these tomorrow .... just cuz I can lol .... and a good chain is frikkin expensive !!! ....

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...
post #5 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Very slick!

I'm interested in how much more chain life you will get by constant lubrication.

My chains last between 13k & 17k with a WD40 wipe down after every ride and periodic lubrication especially after rain.

Keep us posted.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #6 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostevo052 View Post
Fixing to make one of these tomorrow .... just cuz I can lol .... and a good chain is frikkin expensive !!! ....
I really like mine. Here's the link where I got the brush if you plan to go that route and haven't got one.

Product Detail | Applied.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Very slick!

I'm interested in how much more chain life you will get by constant lubrication.

My chains last between 13k & 17k with a WD40 wipe down after every ride and periodic lubrication especially after rain.

Keep us posted.

Doc
I put the chain oiler on when I replaced the OEM chain. So far so good. 12K on my DID X-ring...still solidly in the green. No visible ill effects to the rings from the brush. I just wipe the chain down every 500-1000 miles and use the oiler for 5-10 mins every time I get gas. I did switch over to 90W gear oil and only have to refill every 3 months or so.

post #7 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Looks like it could be easily adapted to most any motorcycle.

Here's my test engineer showing
Quote:
You have a business opportunity on your hands!
- Make it smaller so it does not take up most of the under-seat room
- Make it easier to refill; use something like a front brake fluid reservoir?
- automatic shut off when the engine is not running? (I forget stupid stuff like that. messy! )
I like the brush. Other systems I have seen use a small pipe to drip the oil directly on the chain; this requires very careful positioning. Your brush idea eliminates the need for user precision while keeping all the functionality. Nice!

Since I commute daily, I have considered an automatic chain oiler. Wiping the chain down after every ride simply is not an option. Regular maintenance, while I do it, is a pain. Also - oil is the factory recommended lubrication, not a spray lube.

I just thank the engineers for including the second trip meter; I set it to measure mileage since the last time I sprayed the chain. Otherwise I'd have to manually keep track of the mileage interval

post #8 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
I just thank the engineers for including the second trip meter; I set it to measure mileage since the last time I sprayed the chain. Otherwise I'd have to manually keep track of the mileage interval

was that a feature in 02 models? if so how do I set it up?

Thanks.

post #9 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 10:26 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpit2003 View Post
was that a feature in 02 models? if so how do I set it up?

Thanks.
sadly no. in 04 they got adjustable suspension, clock, and 2nd trip meter.

post #10 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Mike the differance between yours and mine, is I put my oil on the inside of the chain, one inch before the rear sprocket. I figured it would be less fling there. I still have my squeeze bottle on the left front fork tube. I changed the OEM chain and gears at 35,023 miles, and should have left the rear gear alone.
I also bought the Harbor Freight 24" caliper and center drilled the rear axle and the swing arm thru bolt, and ground the calipr tips to fit snug in the holes. Then lock down the caliper, and check the other side. Once a week or so, I get the caliper and recheck the bolt holes. I also safety wire my rear adjusters. The rear axle has NOT moved in 4,175 miles as of yesterday.
Mike gave me the idea of the oiler, ZaQ123 gave the H.F. caliper tip, and Rob the safety wire tip. All together will get you max mileage from your gears.

[
post #11 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
Looks like it could be easily adapted to most any motorcycle.

Here's my test engineer showing

I like the brush. Other systems I have seen use a small pipe to drip the oil directly on the chain; this requires very careful positioning. Your brush idea eliminates the need for user precision while keeping all the functionality. Nice!

Since I commute daily, I have considered an automatic chain oiler. Wiping the chain down after every ride simply is not an option. Regular maintenance, while I do it, is a pain. Also - oil is the factory recommended lubrication, not a spray lube.

Thanks for the comments Texas

1st Gen was a drip tube, but it seemed that only about 1/2 of the drips made it on the chain, most likely due to wind. I'm really happy with the brush. It also had a solenoid valve but it didn't last long (probably not very high quality), so I switch to manually operated. You just have to remember to turn it off.

Definitely room for improvement on the reservoir. Since I wrote this thread, I deleted the vent line and just made a fill cap in the top of the reservior. The reservoir could be much smaller, because it doesn't use the oil at a really high rate. There are alot of these type things used in industrial applications for lubricating chains. Including reservoirs and solenoid valves, but they are way too big to use on a bike.

post #12 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Great thread, very ingenious idea, and good info from all respondents.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #13 of 23 Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I really like mine. Here's the link where I got the brush if you plan to go that route and haven't got one.

Product Detail | Applied.com
Thanks !!! ... frikkin awesomesauce !!

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...
post #14 of 23 Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
Mike the differance between yours and mine, is I put my oil on the inside of the chain, one inch before the rear sprocket. I figured it would be less fling there. I still have my squeeze bottle on the left front fork tube. I changed the OEM chain and gears at 35,023 miles, and should have left the rear gear alone.
I also bought the Harbor Freight 24" caliper and center drilled the rear axle and the swing arm thru bolt, and ground the calipr tips to fit snug in the holes. Then lock down the caliper, and check the other side. Once a week or so, I get the caliper and recheck the bolt holes. I also safety wire my rear adjusters. The rear axle has NOT moved in 4,175 miles as of yesterday.
Mike gave me the idea of the oiler, ZaQ123 gave the H.F. caliper tip, and Rob the safety wire tip. All together will get you max mileage from your gears.
Wow 35K on a chain is awesome. Were you using your oiler for part of that time and do you have a link to your oiler? I remember seeing but couldn't find the thread. I'd like to see how you positioned the outlet near the rear sprocket. The squeeze bottle is a great idea. Very simple, and you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it off.

post #15 of 23 Old 05-08-2011, 10:48 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Pics should be on an older thread somewhere. I put mine on at around 1,000 miles and it's still hooked up. My oil dripper end was plastic, and it came loose and was ground up in the chain. I cut a new one outta 6061 and pressed in brass tubes in a Y shape. This was pop riveted to the bottom of the swing arm.

[
post #16 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Nice with the brush! I use the Loobman [LINK] which is similar, but puts the oil on the sprocket instead of the chain. Seems to work good for me. I use 90wt oil in mine.

I like the brush idea though... Interesting.

post #17 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjayp View Post
Nice with the brush! I use the Loobman [LINK] which is similar, but puts the oil on the sprocket instead of the chain. Seems to work good for me. I use 90wt oil in mine.

I like the brush idea though... Interesting.
Can you post up a pic. The ones on their website don't look the greatest.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I'm not sure I have one. Lemme see.

post #19 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Discen

i have run the scottoiler since the bike was new, I have 42000 km on the original chain, and still going strong, best $ saving mod there is IMHO

post #20 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Well, I thought I had some pictures of it, but I guess not. It's kinda taken apart right now (took the bottle mount off) but I'll get some pics of it when I get it put back together. It's kinda hard to photograph to be honest.

post #21 of 23 Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehirt View Post
i have run the scottoiler since the bike was new, I have 42000 km on the original chain, and still going strong, best $ saving mod there is IMHO
42,000Km = ~26,000 miles.
Pretty good!

post #22 of 23 Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 AM
RMWL

Hey Mike,

Where did you get the restrictor and what are the specs for it? I bought my last 2 cans of chain lube. I'm determined to have a lubing setup on my FZ before I run through those!

Do you know of a cheaper alternative to the nylon brush? How many miles do you get between having to replace the brush? I was tossing in my head of getting a round paint brush, lopping off the handle, and feeding oil to the bristles with the clear tube.

-T

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good .45 at your side, kid

2006 FZ1, Red & fully Ivanized
2008 YZF-R6, Raven, Mostly stock

2010 Toyota Tacoma, jacked & TRD Supercharged, 15mpg on 93
post #23 of 23 Old 06-05-2012, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
Hey Mike,

Where did you get the restrictor and what are the specs for it? I bought my last 2 cans of chain lube. I'm determined to have a lubing setup on my FZ before I run through those!

Do you know of a cheaper alternative to the nylon brush? How many miles do you get between having to replace the brush? I was tossing in my head of getting a round paint brush, lopping off the handle, and feeding oil to the bristles with the clear tube.

-T
The restrictor I used is for drip irrigation that you can get at Lowes/ Home Depot. I think the one I got was rated for .5 gal/min. Keep in mind that flow rating is with 40-50 PSI behind it. With just static oil it was only about 1 drop every 30 secs. Whatever you use, test it before you put it on the bike.

As for the brush, I think I got about 20K miles out of it. It gets a little deformed and worn over time, but I didn't really care as long as it was still touching the chain. You could probably rig up something like you described, but I went with something that was designed to be used with a chain, plus it already had the port to hookup the oil tube to.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode