I made a chain oiler setup for my 9'er that I've been testing out for a couple of thousand miles. For the most part it's totally unnecessary, but I like to tinker
. So far its working good so figured I would post a few pics.
Here's the general set-up. It's gravity feed and I have been using it about every time I get gas (160-170 mi). The restrictor allows about 1 drop every 2-3 seconds. So far I have just been using regular 40W motor oil, but will try gear oil next.
The delivery to the chain is through a brush that is normally used in industrial applications to lubricate chains (I assume in manufacturing plants). The bristles are nylon and really soft (kinda like a paintbrush) so I don't think there is any danger to the o-rings, but I will continue to monitor.
The supply valve is just under my left leg on the side of the bike and I can reach it while riding with a little effort or just turn it on at a stoplight.
Under the seat is the Reservoir, made from 1-1/2" PVC and a few fittings...
...the charging valve and restrictor...
...and the Vent Valve...
Here's a wider view of everything under the seat
This is about what my chain normally looks like. I think this was about 50 or 60 miles after I used it.
So far so good. The nice thing about the brush application so far is that you don't have to worry about your speed. It puts and seems to maintain a very thin layer of oil to the rollers. I do get some fling mainly on the underside of the swing arm and inside the front sprocket cover, but too nothing annoying.
Total cost about $50. The brush was the most expensive and was $21. The rest of the pieces and parts were roughly $30 and found at Lowes.