Chain cleanliness - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Chain cleanliness

Guys, I am kind of curious here. I see people talking about cleaning their chains all the time and I've never really had to clean mine. I usually put it on the stand and rotate it and spray on lube about every 300 to 400 miles. Admittedly I only rode about maybe 1000 miles last year due to my work commitments (travel out of town) but before that I've usually ridden all spring summer and fall (Well, OK, in DFW its more like summer, summer and summer). I've taken off my front sprocket cover and there was some grease build up that I knocked out with a screw driver and a rag but aside from that I just don't have a ton of build up normally, at least none to where I have to physically get town and scrub on the chain. Usually the most I have to do is take the pressure sprayer and the scrub brush at the car to it while I rotate the rear wheel on the stand.. Am I alone in this or do other people kind of never seem to suffer from the huge amount of gunk build up?

For lube I am using the Maxima brand chain wax in the big 13.5 ounce can...

Not the best picture quality but I didn't feel much like bending over too far in my slippers... lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic29952.jpg (155.0 KB, 38 views)

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I would just consider yourself lucky. Sounds like your chain wax is keeping your chain pretty clean. The low miles probably has something to do with it too. I wouldn't hit it with a pressure washer as the water may get past the o-rings and wash out some of the factory lube.

I usually just spray some WD-40 on a rag and wipe my chain off while spinning the wheel by hand.

post #3 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Ditto that, NEVER use a pressure washer, or any water based anything, really, to clean your chain. WD-40 to clean, then lube with a good chain wax. Done.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Well, I will correct myself. I use the high pressure wand at the car wash but I just use it with the low spray when I am addressing the chain (not squeezing the handle to blast mode). The most aggressive I get with it is usually spraying the soap on once it comes out, (still lower pressure), then I swap to the brush attachment with the foam going and I just get busy with the chain, then I rinse it off with the lower pressure of the wand as well.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #5 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Be careful with the brushes as well, they can still harm the o-rings.

Also, water is water. Still damages the chain to some degree - that's why it's best to immediately clean and lube the chain after riding in wet weather. Let it sit and you're asking for rust.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
then I swap to the brush attachment with the foam going and I just get busy with the chain,

No offense intended, but I hope the next person in the car wash using the brush attachment doesn't have a heart attack when they find chain lube/mung all over their paint job.

Terry
'02 Suzuki LS650/Ryca
'12 Suzuki VStrom 1000
'76 Kawasaki KZ750 twin
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

No kidding! I'd be pissed if I started to wash my car and instead of cleaning it I was smearing chain lube and road grime all over the paint!

I never notice too much lube build up on the chain or the sprocket cover. As others have mentioned, after washing the bike I spray the chain with WD-40 to displace the water, and wipe off the excess with a rag, then spray it with chain lube, and again wipe off the excess with a rag. Quick and painless, and I don't notice too much gets flung off.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Dewbie

In his defense, the brush with foam is supposed to be used on wheels, not on your cars paint. At least that's how my local car wash has it labeled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode