Chain Cleaning - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Chain Cleaning

Is there a good method for cleaning the chain without removing it? I can't find a post directly addressing it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Centurion

Where's Bigdaa when you need him?

post #3 of 16 Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Centurion

post #4 of 16 Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Kerosene works well. I also use Mineral Spirits, chase with WD-40, then chain lube.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thanks for the words and pics. I'm gonna try using BeanClean, toothbrush and Repsol.

post #6 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 06:53 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

if you have a center stand and feel capable, it only takes about 5 minutes to remove the rear wheel. Then you can let the chain hang in a shallow dish of kerosene. I've been in the garage tearing parts off the 9er to clean and check things out. I'm pushing 20,000 miles and have only put on about 4 of those myself so I wanted to give it a thorough going through this winter. If I get feeling frisky, maybe I'll take some photos of the tear down and provide instruction.

Only piece of advice so far is to watch you knuckles when taking off the rear disk brake. Those things are on TIGHT!!! 80lb plus loctite? Apparently they don't want the disk to move.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Milites Gregarius

I use http://www.wtkchemicalsolutions.com/index.html

It works very well for me...

Not sure the what the special brew is, but all you need to do is spray it on, let it sit for 3-8min, rinse off with water, and if really dirty, reapply and do the same..

Chain comes out like new..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam919 View Post
Is there a good method for cleaning the chain without removing it? I can't find a post directly addressing it.

post #8 of 16 Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I've cleaned and oiled my chain once in 8 years. Still looks great, still works great... only has 8k miles on it though...and it's never been ridden in a drop of rain. My experience with modern o-ring chain is....oil of any kind just attracts road grit which is a lot more abrasive than metal/metal. Keep it dry, wipe it down with WD-40 now and then (which does nothing to lubricate..just keeps those gold side plates shining).
JohnnyB

post #9 of 16 Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

This stuff works well and is easy -
http://www.solomotoparts.com/catalog...n-p-16907.html

post #10 of 16 Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I've cleaned and oiled my chain once in 8 years. Still looks great, still works great... only has 8k miles on it though...and it's never been ridden in a drop of rain. My experience with modern o-ring chain is....oil of any kind just attracts road grit which is a lot more abrasive than metal/metal. Keep it dry, wipe it down with WD-40 now and then (which does nothing to lubricate..just keeps those gold side plates shining).
JohnnyB
Have to agree. This method has helped my chain last much longer than the Kerosene method. The only difference in my situation is my 02 9ner has 27k and is only on it's 2nd chain. first chain was cleaned with Kerosene and lubed with chain lube, the roller pins started ceasing up @ 12k. The current chain is still going strong - only 1 small adjustment for tension... no chain lube, no kerosene, just WD40 sprayed on liberally to remove dirt then wiped off. Then sprayed a 2nd time lightly and excess wiped off with a cloth.

post #11 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 

A thought just occurred to me! I realize how scary that is, but I have had 2 other independent thoughts in my life (and I've been alive for a long time.)
I am planning a 2K+ trip in the future. I know that I can always stop by the local Big Red store if I need a scheduled service, but what about my chain? Can I wait, or should I have that done as well? (Assuming that I service the chain just before I leave)

post #12 of 16 Old 12-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 4

There is no reason a clean, dry, properly adjusted modern O-ring chain would need in additional service during a 2,000 mile trip. Just the common sense stuff like checking tension now and then.

But...lube it up with something sticky that will collect road sand, and it will start the grinding process immediately.
As a machinist.... I cringe at the thought of taking a nice clean, dry, rolling mechanism like a chain and sprockets....thowing oil on them, then throwing a handful of sand on them. Can't think of a better way to accelerate wear, force dirt into seals, and make noise.

All the geezer hysteria about chain lube etc. is due to the 50 years of motorcycle chains BEFORE o-ring chains existed. (and I AM a geezer).

I would hop on my bike right now and do a 2,000 mile trip without the slightest concern for my chain. How many modern o-ring chains have you seen fail?
JohnnyB

post #13 of 16 Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I believe it has been said, but I for one will come off as a chain neglecter. Most important thing is chain tension. I always make certain that it is proper. When the chain seems nasty ... I simply spray WD-40 on it and grab the chain with an old towel or T-shirt. Ride for a bit to heat up chain and spray with a wax-based lube.

I have never had an issue with a chain, even on higher powered bike with lots of miles.

If you enjoy being obsessive ... more power to you.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #14 of 16 Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thanks for the replies! "I don't enjoy being obsessive, I just am"
I just wanna make sure I'm doing it right!

post #15 of 16 Old 12-24-2008, 07:55 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

If I understand everything I've read, the O-ring technology is the critical point. But I believe I've read elsewhere that the o-ring setup is similar to a sealed bearing set-up and that too much WD-40 has the same effect as on other seals i.e. enhances deterioration.

Maybe just a wipe with wd-40 to get any abrasive grit out, as opposed to spraying/saturating, and then the Honda o-ring chain lube so it can lubricate and leave white crap all over the place?

PS- I hear what some of you are saying about being obsessive. I actually have to say "CDO" because I have to put "OCD" in alphabetical order.

post #16 of 16 Old 12-26-2008, 08:57 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I've heard that the WD-40 in an aerosol can is what eats seals. Something about the propellant in the can and that WD-40 bought in a gallon jug does not eat seals/rubber.

Any truth to this?

Press Any Key To Continue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode