Chain Came Off - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Chain Came Off

Chain kicked out during a third gear wheelie. The chain slapped up my exhaust caving it in and broke my chain guard and side cover. Fixed it and immediately went home. This morning I noticed I was missing 2/10ths of a liter of oil . So I held up a white piece of paper to the back of the exhaust and it was sprayed immediately by oil

I went straight to honda to diagnose it. They assured me that by holding the front end up so long the oil was getting in the airbox. Being assured and relieved I did a high wheelie leaving the Honda shop

Side note I am selling the Yoshi's for 150 plus shipping. (Still work and sound great, I'm just too damn OCD)

Going to do a GP style exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
post #3 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
You do know you're starving the engine of oil by constantly doing high wheelies, right?

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919

post #4 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Le So Cal Troll

you got LUCKY that the chain didnt bunch up at the front sprocket and break the case.

What kind of chain? rivet or clip style master? and how much slack was on it?

post #5 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I just want to know how the heck you're doing 3rd gear wheelies on a 919???

Dang my elevation!!!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
You do know you're starving the engine of oil by constantly doing high wheelies, right?
This.

I know stunters that regularly overfill their 954s, sounds stupid to me but better than starvation I guess. I believe Honda did something about the starvation issues with a oil pickup and sender right? Or was that just another street misinfo.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #7 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Your lucky you still have both feet!

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #8 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I'd love to see a Sidi hard boot vs breaking chain.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #9 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Tirone

I'd like to have the Yoshi's. I don't care what they look like. Do you still have my info?

post #10 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
you got LUCKY that the chain didnt bunch up at the front sprocket and break the case.

It was a Jt chain with a clip style link. The master broke after there was too much slack in it. My fault
post #11 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I just want to know how the heck you're doing 3rd gear wheelies on a 919???

Dang my elevation!!!
I start out in first gear and shift up. I have gotten it to 4th but ran out of clear road.
post #12 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
I'd like to have the Yoshi's. I don't care what they look like. Do you still have my info?
You get first dibs and I can knock off $10 for shipping for helping me out with the headers. I should still have the address on the box. Thanks again btw
post #13 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
It was a Jt chain with a clip style link. The master broke after there was too much slack in it. My fault
there is your problem...

DID with rivet style ONLY on street bikes.

You might be able to get away with lesser stuff on smaller HP dirbikes and whatnot.... but street is not worth the risk... you got off LUCKY that the chain didnt do more damage to you or the bike.

3rd gear wheelie is easy btw.... get her up in first and shift through the gears. I usually run out of road by the time 3rd is grabbed. Not sure about oil starvation... i know the stunt crowd who stand at 12 oclock have to do stuff with the oil pickup etc to get it to work properly.

post #14 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
there is your problem...

DID with rivet style ONLY on street bikes.

You might be able to get away with lesser stuff on smaller HP dirbikes and whatnot.... but street is not worth the risk... you got off LUCKY that the chain didnt do more damage to you or the bike.

3rd gear wheelie is easy btw.... get her up in first and shift through the gears. I usually run out of road by the time 3rd is grabbed. Not sure about oil starvation... i know the stunt crowd who stand at 12 oclock have to do stuff with the oil pickup etc to get it to work properly.
I didn't realize they specially modify their bikes to do that. Good to know thanks!
post #15 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 05:58 PM
-Thread Lurker-

Quote:

I had a CR 250 I raced in my teens, I had taken off the "case saver" but forgot to put it back on. Chain snapped, whipped around and took out a chunk right down to the clutch pinion. I had to use some JB weld to patch it. Dealership I was sponsored by bought it back for a trade on a 450.

I was told its impossible to buy just one half of the case as they are made specifically to mate together. Is this true? Anyone know?

Till next time, Brrraap
post #16 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattaio606 View Post

I was told its impossible to buy just one half of the case as they are made specifically to mate together. Is this true? Anyone know?
Yes it is true for most manufacturers. Case halfs are line bored and reamed as a set.

post #17 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 PM
-

Quote:
I start out in first gear and shift up. I have gotten it to 4th but ran out of clear road.
Fair enough, I've been working on riding wheelies into 2nd.... and yeah, you're right it can eat up a lot of safe runway quickly.

You look to have stock-ish sized gearing. How fast are you going to kick into 3rd? I'll clutch up in 1st, ride that close to the rev limiter and then kick to 2nd. If I shift earlier, she just doesn't have the strength to keep stood up. Never dreamed the 919 would carry into 3rd.

Are you just hitting BP in first then slowly accelerating to speeds which will support higher gears?

post #18 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
Fair enough, I've been working on riding wheelies into 2nd.... and yeah, you're right it can eat up a lot of safe runway quickly.

You look to have stock-ish sized gearing. How fast are you going to kick into 3rd? I'll clutch up in 1st, ride that close to the rev limiter and then kick to 2nd. If I shift earlier, she just doesn't have the strength to keep stood up. Never dreamed the 919 would carry into 3rd.

Are you just hitting BP in first then slowly accelerating to speeds which will support higher gears?
If I clutch it up I can get it to the balance point quicker to have a smooth more gradual wheelie vs chasing it. I'm pretty comfortable with the balance point but no where near stunter. There is a girl here who can slow wheelie circles around me. It's kind of a turn on and kind of irritating
post #19 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
post #20 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 PM
-

Quote:
If I clutch it up I can get it to the balance point quicker to have a smooth more gradual wheelie vs chasing it. I'm pretty comfortable with the balance point but no where near stunter. There is a girl here who can slow wheelie circles around me. It's kind of a turn on and kind of irritating
Thanks. Guess I need to smooth out my hop to BP. I thought I was getting it up, but it sounds like I'm not getting it quite high enough. And slow wheelies? Oh boy, I've never even tried that.

post #21 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
.... With her legs over the bars
sounds like you want em wrapped around you.

post #22 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

It is probable that the chain parted because the master link clip was installed facing to the outside. I know that's the usual way to do things, but in this case the chain runs so close to the outer frame plate it can actually hit it even with a rivet link. The cure is to install the master link with the clip facing inward, which is the way I do it even with a rivet link. Better safe than replacing the cases.

Rob

post #23 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 08:08 PM
-Thread Lurker-

I use my shifter foot on the passenger peg and stand up. if I clutch up and start slow I can usually keep it up without revving the shit outta her.

Sitting I just cant get to that high sweet spot the same way...

Till next time, Brrraap
post #24 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
It is probable that the chain parted because the master link clip was installed facing to the outside. I know that's the usual way to do things, but in this case the chain runs so close to the outer frame plate it can actually hit it even with a rivet link. The cure is to install the master link with the clip facing inward, which is the way I do it even with a rivet link. Better safe than replacing the cases.

Rob
would it knock the clip off even it it was installed properly with the direction of travel (with the open end facing backwards when the link is at the top of the chain?)

post #25 of 28 Old 11-09-2013, 02:07 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
would it knock the clip off even it it was installed properly with the direction of travel (with the open end facing backwards when the link is at the top of the chain?)
Yes, if the exposed ends of the pins are hit often enough they will back out, pushing against the clip until it fractures and the pieces fall off, quickly followed by the plate coming loose.

Often I have TiG welded the master link plate on which absolutely insures it will not come adrift. Yes, it's even possible to do with o-ringed chains -- all it takes is a wet rag and a quick tack on each pin.

Rob

post #26 of 28 Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Yes, if the exposed ends of the pins are hit often enough they will back out, pushing against the clip until it fractures and the pieces fall off, quickly followed by the plate coming loose.

Often I have TiG welded the master link plate on which absolutely insures it will not come adrift. Yes, it's even possible to do with o-ringed chains -- all it takes is a wet rag and a quick tack on each pin.

Rob

Ah that would make sense

post #27 of 28 Old 11-10-2013, 01:10 PM
The Cripple

Quote:

Rob
This is pretty much what happened to me with my ninja 250. Ended up destroying the undertail, locking up the rear wheel and punching a hole through the engine case. Found the pieces about 2-3 miles up the road from where the chain came apart.

Didn't help that the chain was a cheapo RK chain, had less than 3k miles on it when it fell to shit.

post #28 of 28 Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Will fly for food.

Garage
Could have been worse-

Loose Chain Highside Crash - YouTube

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode