Chain and Sprockets Install-Novice Notes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Chain and Sprockets Install-Novice Notes

Just did my first chain and sprockets replacement, so I thought I'd offer a few observations. Ideally, some of the more experienced members will ring in and correct me if necessary before someone takes my opinions seriously.

1) The shop manual: The only real irritating part of the manual for this exercise is that it explicitly states that Honda uses a master link chain. I looked at 1,140 links (114 stock chain links X OCD factor of 10) before finally coming to back to this site and determining that not all chains have master links. Thanks to Barton664 (AGAIN!!!!!) for guidance.

2) 114 vs 112 links, overall gearing:I went with 114 links and 16/43. As a novice with less than a year in the saddle (~3500 miles), I am still building my skills foundation--I want an extremely solid base so that as i start my more serious mods, I will understand the changes. Man, I love this f***ing machine.

3) Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tool Part #08-0135 and some sort of caliper: Yes, dammit, I stuck a crowbar into my wallet and bought the tools for this job. There is no turning back now--- I am always going to be around motorcycles, kids will be getting dirt bikes soon (don't tell them yet), somebody else may need help, etc. The Jumbo will break a chain as well as do the rivits. The caliper is used twice during installation of the master link: you measure the amount pins are pushed through during setting of the sideplate and diameter of the rivit as it set during staking. For setting the sideplate, I measured the width of the chain and then set the caliper 0.050" above this point and then checked the pins repeatedly until they brushed the caliper like gapping a sparkplug. For staking, I set the caliper to 0.222" and then kept checking as I tightened down on the ol' Jumbo. If you are patient, the rivits will look just like in the manual (I will post a picture tomorrow-our camera sucks ass at night photography).

4) For those who debate whether or not to change sprockets with chain: I bought this bike used and the previous owner documented everything. Near as I can tell, he got 20K miles out of chain and sprockets. Here is a side by side comparision of old vs new for driving gear and driven gear after a ton of miles (I will look at these pictures once they are posted-if they stink on ice, I will try to replace them). The choice is yours:

As always, I could not have done this without you all. Mike Wheeler (LDH) at Dan Kyle and my boy Barton664 are fantastic.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Good Job nesty. Those are some sharp teeth on that old sprocket, definitely time to replace it.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #3 of 17 Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

good job man. Glad you love you ride.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index

post #4 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here is a picture of the rivits (I think-I can never tell how it will look until it is posted).

They seem to look like the picture in the manual, no cracking, but maybe an experienced eye can see something...

This picture sucks.

post #5 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Great post Nesty. Looks like you did a great job. I will most likely have to do my chain later this year and I'll definitely refer to this thread.

post #6 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post

They seem to look like the picture in the manual, no cracking, but maybe an experienced eye can see something...

You put the chain on upside-down!......Just kidding.

I'm glad to see that you invested in the right tools. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. Good job.

Professional
post #7 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 12:38 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Perfecto!

post #8 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

dude!!! you put it on backwards the arrows are in the wrong direction!!!

post #9 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
dude!!! you put it on backwards the arrows are in the wrong direction!!!
Them fighting words! I can't see much in the pictures, so I have noting to say other than.... Wanna do mine?

post #10 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Stop the presses!

Thank you for the kind words everybody, but I will have to put the kudos into escrow, not to be released until this job is done right.

Between the fact I was working at night and the crappy photography, I didn't clearly see that there was an o-ring on the right pin of the master link that was starting to push out. I put a bunch of miles on the bike and then saw it when I checked the chain. You can make it out on the crappy picture if you are really looking for it.

Hopefully, there are one or two spots where I made a rookie mistake, or screwed the pooch like a pro, depending upon your perspective. Then l can get it figured out and post the final chapter when the job is perfect so the next person can avoid the huge, throbbing, tumescent rubbery mass undulating in the breeze like mating whales that I have hanging off my otherwise perfectly beautiful new gold DID 530.

...(pause)...DANG IT!

post #11 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

ok.... i am confused.... did you fix it or not???

and thats why i pay someone to doit...

post #12 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

well thats why he screwed the pooch you tell him whay to do, and you dont even do it yourself..... typical

j/k

post #13 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
well thats why he screwed the pooch you tell him whay to do, and you dont even do it yourself..... typical

j/k
i find it easier to pay for it to be done... then i can blame someone else if it aint right...

post #14 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 09:08 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I didn't even notice the squished O-ring in the pic, but then again I wasn't really looking for it

As I told you on the phone it's all about feel and I didn't get my first one right either... In fact I have messed up a couple since then so many years ago. It happens. Like everything else in this world it takes experience to become proficient and you are on your way with a very steep learning curve. Additional master clips are cheap & only a phone call away bro!

post #15 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
Stop the presses!

Thank you for the kind words everybody, but I will have to put the kudos into escrow, not to be released until this job is done right.

...(pause)...DANG IT!
Ok all, I think we have it. Mike at Dan Kyle shipped me out a couple of master links and I modified my procedure in three ways:

1) The Motion Pro instructions read, "Flare the end of the master link pin to the mfr. spec. by tightening the body bolt. Repeat for the other master link pin." After speaking with LDH, I took his advice and flared both pins simultaneously working side to side and measuring throughout. The other two changes to my procedure are tweaks; this was the money step.

2) When staking, I previously measured the pin depth by difference. This time I rolled the master link to the back of the sprocket, and used the depth guage on the caliper, setting the caliper across the two pins

3) Pay close attention to feel. You will be staking the pins and flaring the rivits. After a certain point, the processes feel like constant resistance rather than progressive tightening like a nut and bolt. Eventually, you will have a pretty good idea how much you gain with each turn. MONITOR YOUR O-RINGS. I repeat: MONITOR YOUR O-RINGS. I rolled the master link out to the back of the sprocket to inspect O-rings and check measurements. Take a couple of measurements each time because they can vary as much as 0.003"-0.005"-if they are all in the ball park and the O-rings are good, take it and ride.

Here is the end-on view. I have road tested and we seem to be looking good after the first few runs.

As always, I apologize for my crappy pictures.

post #16 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Like I told ya it all comes down to experience & feel. Nobody gets it right the first time

Cheers again!

post #17 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 05:00 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i am impressed you washed your hands before snapping photos... you are sooooo ocd....lol........

great job jon... you can do my chain when its time....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode