Center stand holes, where are they and are they safe to use with no rear tire? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KarlJay

post #1 of 7 Old 05-29-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Center stand holes, where are they and are they safe to use with no rear tire?

I don't have a center stand and I see a mount hole on the Left side, but the closest on the Right side is used by that low mounted tank that sits behind the exhaust pipe.

Do you have to remove that tank mount in order to gain access to the center stand holes?

I assume all of our bikes have the mounts for a center stand even if they didn't come with one from the factory.

2nd question, is it safe to support the bike on the center stand using a bar and jackstands when you remove the rear tire, swing arm, etc... ?

3rd question, is there a special kind of lube for the swing arm? I have Mobil 1 Syn Wheel Bearing Grease, should that be good or should I buy something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-29-2019, 03:42 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post

A
I don't have a center stand and I see a mount hole on the Left side, but the closest on the Right side is used by that low mounted tank that sits behind the exhaust pipe.

B
Do you have to remove that tank mount in order to gain access to the center stand holes?

C
I assume all of our bikes have the mounts for a center stand even if they didn't come with one from the factory.

D
2nd question, is it safe to support the bike on the center stand using a bar and jackstands when you remove the rear tire, swing arm, etc... ?

E
3rd question, is there a special kind of lube for the swing arm? I have Mobil 1 Syn Wheel Bearing Grease, should that be good or should I buy something else?
A
Hmmm, we learn something everyday, I was not aware of that issue re the Right side.

B
If there is no straight line of site of adequate diameter, I would assume so, and Id assume it would be an easy do. (all of this is very suggestive that Evap can equipped 919s can't be fitted with a centre stand)

C
That is my clear understanding, only makes sense, and my guess is that there were way more centre stands retrofitted on a proportionate basis to Euro' 919s than NorAm 919s.

D
The centre stand is perfectly safe for such work. BUT simply using the centre stand mounting holes for a piece of rod slipped through then supported outboard by something like axle stands, is likely disaster waiting to happen. The diameter restricts the rod size one can use. Rod stiffness varies with the diameter to the 3rd power and length to the 4th power.
So supporting the skinny rod outboard means the 4th power factor will be dominant, and my guess is that it will bend - likely at the worst moment!
The factory centre stand pin diameter is plenty stiff for how the loads are applied to it in use.
In the past I have used an axle stand under the lean stand lug, then another under the side plate (that the swing arm pin slides through) on the right side. I've done it that way a couple of times, no problems, but be careful to make sure the bike is nice and square to the ground. I found it necessary to block up on side a bit with wood. Just be careful jigging it all up.

E
The issue is water, and being stationary, i.e not rotating.
I would not use a true synthetic lube, as it will likely be chemically neutral or to near neutral.
I would use either a lithium based grease, or anti-seize compound.
I honestly can't remember what I used, as I have both, I think I used the lithium grease I had on hand.
Speaking of true lithium greases, I'm finding it difficult to find it mass market auto departments nowadays.
I have to check further, but in the meantime I found a lithium grease doped with moly'di'.
That makes an excellent combination for a stationary swing arm pin that is expected to see moisture.
If the pin is anticipated to be R & R'd with any frequency, then the kind of grease used really won't matter much if at all.
But swing arm pins should be in place for many years, hence the concern over the lube selection.
Be sure to clean the pin tube in the frame real well before slipping in the lubed pin.
A piece of wood doweling with a wrap of fine emery or wet sanding paper works real well if any corrosion is found.

post #3 of 7 Old 05-29-2019, 03:56 PM
919 Rider

Karl, if you have a ratchet strap it's useful for lifting the bike as well as the jack. Sort of provides backup for the jack, share the load, prevent bike from falling off jack. I've used the grab handle at the rear to attach strap.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-29-2019, 04:49 PM
Tirone

How much are you looking to spend?

If willing/looking for more of an investment type product ($230 shipped) that can be used on different bikes, this ABBA stand is highly recommended by respected members on another forum I frequent:
https://abbastandsusa.com/product-de...ke-stand&pid=1

Swing-arm removal kit ($35) allows the bike to be disassembled down to the bare frame:
https://abbastandsusa.com/product-de...val-kit&pid=21

Also available is a front lift arm option to have full access to the front end, but I believe the swingarm has to be attached for a stabilizing strap, so if needed the front end work would have to be done after the rear end work (swing-arm re-installed) was completed.

post #5 of 7 Old 05-29-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Update: Got it done. Used a rod, probably 3/4" or so and it goes thru the holes where the center stand would go. It now rests on two jackstands that hold up that rod.

So the process is this:

- Put the bike on the rear stand

- Remove the tank bracket that is using one of the center stand holes

- place a rod thru the two holes that sticks out several inches. It hit the kick stand, but there's enough room to fit a jackstand under there.

- jack up the bike enough to get the jack stand under the rod, then you can remove the rear stand if you want.

Note: the jack stand that I use are the cast iron centering type, so the rod is forced to the center. I didn't have to remove the kickstand and it seems very stable.

Project status: swing arm bolt swapped, chain and sprockets removed, some basic clean up done.

Now I install the new sprockets and wait for Amazon to ship my new chain tool.

Pretty simple job really.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-29-2019, 05:34 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Update: Got it done. Used a rod, probably 3/4" or so and it goes thru the holes where the center stand would go. It now rests on two jackstands that hold up that rod.

So the process is this:

- Put the bike on the rear stand

- Remove the tank bracket that is using one of the center stand holes

- place a rod thru the two holes that sticks out several inches. It hit the kick stand, but there's enough room to fit a jackstand under there.

- jack up the bike enough to get the jack stand under the rod, then you can remove the rear stand if you want.

Note: the jack stand that I use are the cast iron centering type, so the rod is forced to the center. I didn't have to remove the kickstand and it seems very stable.

Project status: swing arm bolt swapped, chain and sprockets removed, some basic clean up done.

Now I install the new sprockets and wait for Amazon to ship my new chain tool.

Pretty simple job really.
Excellent that it worked out so well.
I'm not clear on a point though, so can you please clarify a wee bit?
Did you use two axle stands fairly close together, or one that went right up the middle and rested on the rod there?

post #7 of 7 Old 05-29-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Excellent that it worked out so well.
I'm not clear on a point though, so can you please clarify a wee bit?
Did you use two axle stands fairly close together, or one that went right up the middle and rested on the rod there?
Two jackstands on either end of the rod. The rod hits against the kickstand bracket on one side and sticks out several inches on the other side. Even with nothing done to hold the front, it's stable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode