CBR 900RR Header to stock Y pipe - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 10-17-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question CBR 900RR Header to stock Y pipe

Hi Twisters,

I am trying to find out will the CBR 900RR headers fit the stock Y pipe on a 2002 CB 919?

My goal is to eliminate the cat but keep the undermount dual exhaust. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also will this header work with a belly pan or does it sit too low?

Thanks again for your time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP34 View Post
Hi Twisters,

I am trying to find out will the CBR 900RR headers fit the stock Y pipe on a 2002 CB 919?

My goal is to eliminate the cat but keep the undermount dual exhaust. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also will this header work with a belly pan or does it sit too low?

Thanks again for your time
The 900rr header is for a side mount exhaust so it will not work with the y pipe without extensive fabrication. I've never seen a cat on a 919 before. Cali bike? Your easiest route is to pick up a header from a non California 919.

post #3 of 21 Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
The 900rr header is for a side mount exhaust so it will not work with the y pipe without extensive fabrication. I've never seen a cat on a 919 before. Cali bike? Your easiest route is to pick up a header from a non California 919.
Post a picture of the cat. If you need a header, I have one that I can sell you. I am trying to purge some parts that I have laying around.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan

post #4 of 21 Old 10-17-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Here are my headers from underneath. I don't think I have a CAT. Please correct me if I am wrong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5663.JPG (96.9 KB, 25 views)

post #5 of 21 Old 10-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

My 2007 had a CAT in the Stock Header. It was inside the bulges in the Y pipe. Here's a pic on the inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1281.jpg (71.5 KB, 31 views)

post #6 of 21 Old 10-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Here are my headers from underneath. I don't think I have a CAT. Please correct me if I am wrong
That looks just like mine. Went downstairs to check.

-Michael Jordan
post #7 of 21 Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Centurion

Quote:
The stock Y pipe of a 49 state 2002 does not have a cat to start with; unless you are in CA it is not even an issue.

Quote:
My goal is to eliminate the cat...
Why? If it had one leave it, if it didn't don't sweat that either.

Quote:
My 2007 had a CAT in the Stock Header. It was inside the bulges in the Y pipe. Here's a pic on the inside.
This. Those that have them have them there. If the Y is black= no cat. If the Y is stainless=cat.

post #8 of 21 Old 10-17-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
The stock Y pipe of a 49 state 2002 does not have a cat to start with; unless you are in CA it is not even an issue.

Why? If it had one leave it, if it didn't don't sweat that either.

This. Those that have them have them there. If the Y is black= no cat. If the Y is stainless=cat.

Ok so here is my dilemma as my y pipe is stainless. I plan on getting the an exhaust as well as install my power commander and getting it all tuned. I was told by a tuner if I have a CAT that I would need to have a bung installed for an O2 sensor before the CAT which adds to the cost of this upgrade / tune. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #9 of 21 Old 10-18-2016, 05:48 AM
Optio

Garage
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162003192105

-Michael Jordan
post #10 of 21 Old 10-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Ok so here is my dilemma as my y pipe is stainless. I plan on getting the an exhaust as well as install my power commander and getting it all tuned. I was told by a tuner if I have a CAT that I would need to have a bung installed for an O2 sensor before the CAT which adds to the cost of this upgrade / tune. Any info would be greatly appreciated

There are many 06-07 (all have cats) or pre-06 CA models with slip-ons & PCIIIs that do just fine. I would not worry about it. If for some reason it bothers you it can be removed with a hammer & punch easily. It is in the bulge in the Y & looks like a bundle of very short drink mixing straws.

post #11 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
There are many 06-07 (all have cats) or pre-06 CA models with slip-ons & PCIIIs that do just fine. I would not worry about it. If for some reason it bothers you it can be removed with a hammer & punch easily. It is in the bulge in the Y & looks like a bundle of very short drink mixing straws.

It's not that it bothers me. I was told a hole needed to be drilled before the CAT and a Bung welded/installed for the 02 sensor so that the PC3 and bike can be dyno tuned and mapped properly. Is this true?

post #12 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 03:46 PM
Princeps Prior

No it's not needed

post #13 of 21 Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So do I go through the expense of dyno tuning? Or do I just load one of the maps in the 919 dropbox?

I will be running Scorpion Exhausts on my 919. I did not see any maps for the Scorpion slip-ons within dropbox. I do have my PCIII ready to install.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

post #14 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 04:18 AM
Left of Centre

Install it, run a map, see how it feels...

post #15 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
So do I go through the expense of dyno tuning? Or do I just load one of the maps in the 919 dropbox?

I will be running Scorpion Exhausts on my 919. I did not see any maps for the Scorpion slip-ons within dropbox. I do have my PCIII ready to install.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Depending on your elevation you can probably use one of the maps in the drop box. That's what I did. I think I'm using the 2nd Sato map from Ldh if I recall correctly. Try a couple out as stated. I looked for the bike to idle smoothly and the best throttle response. You are also supposed to sync the throttle bodies with the PC3 but I never did. My bike runs like a beast. No dead spots anywhere in the rpm range.

post #16 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Depending on your elevation you can probably use one of the maps in the drop box. That's what I did. I think I'm using the 2nd Sato map from Ldh if I recall correctly. Try a couple out as stated. I looked for the bike to idle smoothly and the best throttle response. You are also supposed to sync the throttle bodies with the PC3 but I never did. My bike runs like a beast. No dead spots anywhere in the rpm range.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks
Can you provide link to maps? I have one drop box folder I accessed but not sure about whether or not LDH's maps are there

post #17 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Princeps Prior

I'm pretty sure I'm using the satonew2 map here. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r000mjqr9...19%20maps?dl=0

post #18 of 21 Old 10-21-2016, 09:38 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. Thanks
Can you provide link to maps? I have one drop box folder I accessed but not sure about whether or not LDH's maps are there

To the best of my knowledge, all of the LDH maps are in the McRomo compilation folder.
Including the moriv4 map as converted from original .map format to PC3usb required .djm format.
Also, many of the maps therein have been notated.

post #19 of 21 Old 10-21-2016, 09:47 AM
McTavish

Quote:

This is nonsense you are being told.
The 919 ECU can't handle an O2 input.
A PC3usb has no facility for an 02 input.
A tuner can use a wand up one of the pipe outlets.
You don't need a bung welded on and you don't need an 02 sensor.
Knock out the cat.
Synch the closed and open positions between the TP and the PC3usb.
Install a recommended map from the library.
(I always suggest moriv4 as the starting point for aftermarket twin canned factory header)
If that is not satisfactory, check to make sure your synch and map install was successful, then try another relevant map.
If you can't find satisfaction, and/or are fiendish about a custom tune for your specifics, get a custom map done by a good tuner.

post #20 of 21 Old 10-21-2016, 03:39 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
If you can't find satisfaction, and/or are fiendish about a custom tune for your specifics, get a custom map done by a good tuner.
A bit more on getting a custom map done.
919s have a high volume X low heat rejection area cooling system design.
While this is extremely rarely ever a problem (aside from high temp X low humidity X hi altitude air X sustained (or high time component of a track lap) high power levels, it can all too easily be problematic during mapping.
The 919 ECU (per LDH advice from eons ago and likely long forgotten by too many) has enrichening steps that kick in once the coolant temperature rises past the ideal range.
(my guess is the enrichening steps are intended to reduce combustion chamber heat load into the cooling system, noting power will also be reduced)
A 919 is into the fuel enrichening zone when the coolant fan kicks in.
If a 919 is being mapped while the cooling fan is on, the mapping will be incorrect, as the PC's mapping correction will be based on an enriched, and not normal, amount of fueling as called for the ECU's map. (remember, the map in the PC3 is a mapping correction laid over the ECU's map)
In other words, any part of a dyno run that is done with the cooling fan running, it botched.
And because of small rad and the large coolant volume, it takes longer to knock the coolant temperature down during the inter dyno run cool-off periods.

Today's tidbit : For track days, and IF your coolant is running hot because of above referred to conditions, remove the fan ! At speed, the fan restricts flow for the area it blankets and effectively reduces the heat rejection rate of the rad. Another trick is to run 10 % EG 90 % water along with WaterWetter. The 10/90 formula increases the specific heat of the coolant and improves its heat rejection rate of the overall cooling system. The 10 % EG content makes sure you have decent water pump seal lubrication, as hot water has very poor lubricating properties. If you want some antifreeze effect, use 25 % EG instead of 10, and keep in mind that 25 % EG isgood to roughly -10 F
AND won't actually freeze solid below that, and instead "slush up".

post #21 of 21 Old 10-24-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you all for the awesome advice and pointing me in the right direction. PCIII has arrived. Now I am just waiting on my exhaust. I plan on removing the CAT in the meantime as exhaust is coming from overseas. Looking forward to seeing how the maps impact performance. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode