CBR 250 Turn Signal on 919 - Install Question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

CBR 250 Turn Signal on 919 - Install Question

Hi Guys,
Previous owner of my bike damaged the right side blinkers on the bike so I decided to replace them all with CBR 250 blinkers. Will this be an easy swap or do I need to worry about anything in particular?

I came across one thread where guys were discussing LED blinker installation and said that stock 919 blinker has three wires. The CBR comes with two, would i need to get any additional parts to get this to work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Fronts should be 3 wire and rears should be 2 wire, other than the actual mounting you might have to get creative with wire connections

Dan
post #3 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Discen

It is interesting that you post this as I was thinking of the same swap. From what I have seen the front turn signals are two wire signals on the CBR250, so there will not be any running lights like there are with the stock signals from the 919. I was looking at the mounting just 10 minutes ago. The 919 has a bolt through mounting and then a second hole for the wires. The 250 signals look like they have a hollow bolt that the wire come through. I am not sure if the holes on the bracket on the 919 will be the same size as turn signals Iv'e had on other bikes with the hollow bolt are larger. I wish more companies would make nice looking turn signals. I was looking at the turn signals on the CB1000r. You would think with the fancy headlight and angular body work they would have done something more like what the CBR250 has, but they have some thing on there like the turn signals from a CBR 600 from the early 90s. Ill be following your experience with interest. cheers Ediit: Beefsalad responded as I was typing my long winded response (interrupted by a health lesson for my son "just around the corner"). Do the 250 lights have running lights? I am curious to read what you find. Cheers

post #4 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 05:08 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Deleted my previous post, as it was for the wrong post.

Will upload pictures if you want. CBR250R (as in the 2011-2013 models) have 2 wires in the front. They do act as running lights, so I'm assuming they have a solid state device somewhere to take care of that switching. I didn't think to look at the mounting post size, nor the hole on the 919. BRB with more info!

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 05:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The 250R has a 10mm post. The 919 has a 12mm hole.

As far as retaining the running light function goes...it'll take someone better at electronics than myself, but I'm certain it's possible.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #6 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
The 250R has a 10mm post. The 919 has a 12mm hole. As far as retaining the running light function goes...it'll take someone better at electronics than myself, but I'm certain it's possible.
I am probably no better at electronics, but I wonder if you could just put the wires and socket from the 919 into the 250 turn signal body. You would need an orange bulb that fits in the 919 assembly. I wonder if the 919 bulb is one or two filament. I may have to just buy a used turn signal assembly and play around with it.

These are the other options I was considering:

CBR 1000 rr
Triumph speed triple
kawasaki ninja 1000 rear signals (I put these on a Zrx 1100 I had and they were great).

I know it seems like a lot to go through when there are cheap aftermarket signals out there, but inspection stations are sticklers around here for DOT stuff. Plus, I dont mind the larger OEM signals, especially the signals with some more style sense.

post #7 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here's your answer on the electrical. Found searching the web... not my work
Single filament turn signal wiring question - The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum

There's nothing wrong with keeping the state happy, and there's certainly nothing wrong with retaining visibility.

post #8 of 15 Old 10-29-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
Here's your answer on the electrical. Found searching the web... not my work
Single filament turn signal wiring question - The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum

There's nothing wrong with keeping the state happy, and there's certainly nothing wrong with retaining visibility.
I found another very valuable post here on WT that confirms your finding.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tion-4106.html

It seems I just need to get myself some diode's to rig that puppy up and hopefully it works. The link above also has an interesting diagram on how to properly connect diodes by robtharalson so check it out for future.

As of the 10mm vs 12mm threads I will have to figure something out. Just by the look is seems like the signals would fit right in but it might take some rigging.
I will try to keep you guys posted if I succeed.

Thanks

post #9 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 12:08 AM
The Cripple

Why not just go with some RIzomas and be done with it?

Or if you REALLY want to splurge, get some Watsons...

post #10 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 AM
Honda919Rider #1

Wouldn't using the turn-signals from a 250 make the 919 slower?

post #11 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Why not just go with some RIzomas and be done with it? Or if you REALLY want to splurge, get some Watsons...
The rizoma a look nice, and are probably more visible than some of the aftermarket stuff, but no DOT label = no sticker here.

Making a nice looking, stock (dot compliant), turn signal work is the goal.

post #12 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Why not just go with some RIzomas and be done with it? Or if you REALLY want to splurge, get some Watsons...
Rizomas are out of my budget but you are right that it would be a good choice.
Set of Rizomas would run me around $160 - $200 vs $85 for brand new CBR OEM turn signals.

post #13 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
The rizoma a look nice, and are probably more visible than some of the aftermarket stuff, but no DOT label = no sticker here.

Making a nice looking, stock (dot compliant), turn signal work is the goal.
I'm sure glad I don't live in a liberal rule-ridden state

Who the heck denies someone the right to drive a vehicle because of a sticker on a frickin' bulb???

We get people driving all over the place waving arms out the windows because they don't have blinkers - nobody cares.

Rant over.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #14 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I'm sure glad I don't live in a liberal rule-ridden state Who the heck denies someone the right to drive a vehicle because of a sticker on a frickin' bulb??? We get people driving all over the place waving arms out the windows because they don't have blinkers - nobody cares. Rant over.
It's really not that drastic.

I could ride up to a more rural area and have a ticket put on with whatever I want attached to the bike, but then thereby be an excuse for someone to bug me later on. I have "heard" that there are many in the state that don't get stickers even put on their bikes.

I may know someone who rode for 10 years without a sticker, but then they moved the stickers to the license plate when that person was gone from the state and now they are more visible.

I also don't mind being more visible. I use my bike for commuting mostly and I need to compete with a lot of iPhones for the drivers attention.

post #15 of 15 Old 10-30-2014, 11:42 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betli29 View Post
I found another very valuable post here on WT that confirms your finding.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tion-4106.html

It seems I just need to get myself some diode's to rig that puppy up and hopefully it works. The link above also has an interesting diagram on how to properly connect diodes by robtharalson so check it out for future.

As of the 10mm vs 12mm threads I will have to figure something out. Just by the look is seems like the signals would fit right in but it might take some rigging.
I will try to keep you guys posted if I succeed.

Thanks
12mm hole,10mm threaded rod...there is no problem here! Worst case scenario, you add a washer on the back side, but I am certain a 10mm nut is wider than 12mm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode