CB919 Hornet UK - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryce919er
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
aspect1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Hi all.

I have some blanking plates to remove the pair valve system. Seems an easy job but i have a couple of questions.
Does my 2002 919 hornet with Bewolf end cans have a catalytic converter in the Y pipe? I don't want to do the pair removal in case I mess up the Cat.(if there is one)
Also, will removing the pair trigger an Fi warning light?

Thanks

Steve
York

aspect1968 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Tesserarius
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 622
Rep Power: 1
 
Steve, the American 919 did not have cats until '05, I think. I know my '04 did not have one.

If you have a cataliyc converter, it is a bulge in the exhaust pipe just after the exhaust pipe is turned upwards, by the back shock. No bulge, no cat.

Sniper-x is offline  
Old 07-30-2018, 01:16 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,500
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspect1968 View Post
Hi all.

I have some blanking plates to remove the pair valve system. Seems an easy job but i have a couple of questions.
Does my 2002 919 hornet with Bewolf end cans have a catalytic converter in the Y pipe? I don't want to do the pair removal in case I mess up the Cat.(if there is one)
Also, will removing the pair trigger an Fi warning light?

Thanks

Steve
York
1
I am not sure, but do think the Euro spec 900s were all fitted with Cat's.
I also just checked the Power Commander M112-500 series of maps, all of which are dedicated Euro spec maps. Maps 501 and 502 both specifically state catalytic converter in terms of 2002 or 3 German bikes.

2
North American spec 900s will not get a FI fault light if the PAIR system is removed.
I don't know about the Euro spec models.

Hopefully others will be able to help more.

mcromo44 is offline  
 
Old 07-30-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
aspect1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Thanks guys

Yea mine has a bulge just as it turns up into the Y pipe. I guessed thats where it was. Not sure if i should go ahead with the pair valve blanking incase it fouls up the cat

aspect1968 is offline  
Old 07-30-2018, 01:42 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,500
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspect1968 View Post
Thanks guys

Yea mine has a bulge just as it turns up into the Y pipe. I guessed thats where it was. Not sure if i should go ahead with the pair valve blanking incase it fouls up the cat
The PAIR helps reduce unburned hydrocarbons plus converts some carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide.
I don't know what catalytic converter targets.
If it is there for partially or exclusively for unburned hydrocarbon reduction, then removing PAIR will make the cat' run hot, as in hotter than it should or is designed for.
So, if one wants to get rid of PAIR, it would be wise to knock the cat' out of the pipe.
Conversely, one could knock out the cat', but leave the PAIR intact, and suffer no ill effect.

mcromo44 is offline  
Old 07-30-2018, 01:51 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,500
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Steve, the American 919 did not have cats until '05, I think. I know my '04 did not have one.

If you have a cataliyc converter, it is a bulge in the exhaust pipe just after the exhaust pipe is turned upwards, by the back shock. No bulge, no cat.
1
No cat's in all the North American 05s either.
(Canadian bikes don't have them and Canadian bikes were 49 state versions)

2
Overall, my recollection is this, but I might be wrong:
All California 919s had Evaporative Canisters.
At some point, the California bikes also got a cat', either in 05 or 06 and something about 06 rings a bell.
Then all North American 919s got cat's, pretty sure just one year only, in 2007, the last year of production.
It would be good to put this aspect to bed once and for all.

3
Another aspect of this is the North American ECUs and wiring diagrams across the years and variations.
As in whatever variations there actually were.

mcromo44 is offline  
Old 07-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right Here
Posts: 1,324
Rep Power: 1
 
All California models had cats regardless of year. Cat added in 06-07 to the 49 state also. All Y's have a bulge, if its black no cat, if its SS there is a cat inside. Some Euros had cats & some didn't depends on country & probably year.
mcromo44 likes this.

Bryce919er is offline  
Old 07-31-2018, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
aspect1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Someone suggested that if my bike doesn't have a lambda sensor in the exhaust so therefore it won't have a Cat. God im confused now

aspect1968 is offline  
Old 07-31-2018, 07:31 AM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,500
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspect1968 View Post
Someone suggested that if my bike doesn't have a lambda sensor in the exhaust so therefore it won't have a Cat. God im confused now
No factory 919 ever had a lamba sensor, and there's thousands with cat's.

mcromo44 is offline  
Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
aspect1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
I'll take the exhaust off and have a look tomorrow

aspect1968 is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome