Cb1000r SSS on the 919? - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior
 
redline919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,894
Rep Power: 1
 
Cb1000r SSS on the 919?

I read something searching google that the cb1000r swing arm will bolt to the 9er. I couldnt find much else about it. Does anyone know anything about this?

redline919 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

There have been a few threads about using various SSSA's on the 919, and I have yet to see one that is less than awesome. They have all also needed some fairly serious adjustment (cutting, hacking, welding) to make them work...but its far from impossible!

0cool used a VFR SSSA, and I think his thread was the most detailed...but there was another thread about 4-6 months ago using a different model, and that one was nicely done, too.

I dont believe that Ive seen one done using the CB1000R swingarm, but the process should be about the same!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 12-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Ian
 
HeliMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 3,313
Rep Power: 1
 
The thing that I find appealing about the CB1000R swing arm is that it uses a conventional non-linkage shock mount .... similar to the existing 919 rear end that's boxed and cast into the swingarm, and even the shocks look similar in length and design.

The overall length of the CB1000R SSS seems longer then the VFR set ups as well. If you look at 0cool's build and the "Italian job" builds the wheel base looks short compared to the original 919. Just look at the tip of the tail and drop a line off of them and see where it intersects the tire/wheel compared to a stock 919. Also the space between the rear wheel and fabricated shock mount is always very tight it looks.

Not taking away from either of those builds, they are both quality workmanship and lots of time and effort was put into them .... but altering the geometry of a bike is a gamble and u might not like the results.

Stumbled across this .... not like I am planning something .... I swear.


HeliMech is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 Old 12-09-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior
 
redline919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,894
Rep Power: 1
 
Pave the road so that others may follow

redline919 is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 12-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,613
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Ian, it's winter. Get to work!!! (on the SSS)

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 07:17 AM
Ian
 
HeliMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 3,313
Rep Power: 1
 
Only two things stopping me at the moment.

Time = other project on the go at the moment
Parts = slowing going to start picking up the key pieces.


Stay tuned for winter 2016 though.

HeliMech is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Old, Bold rider
 
robtharalson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 2,331
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

CB1000r swingarm assembly on ebay:
2011 11 12 13 14 Honda CB1000 CB1000R Swingarm Rear Drive Hub Assembly 2013 | eBay
There goes the price excuse! New, it would cost close to $1500.

Don't wait too long.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
robtharalson is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
voodooridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 4,599
Rep Power: 1
 
Why put off till 2016 that which can be started in 2015?


Dan
voodooridr is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Ian
 
HeliMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 3,313
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
CB1000r swingarm assembly on ebay:
2011 11 12 13 14 Honda CB1000 CB1000R Swingarm Rear Drive Hub Assembly 2013 | eBay
There goes the price excuse! New, it would cost close to $1500.

Don't wait too long.

Rob

Already have that one saved to my watch list. =)

Isue is the "cad vs usd" had been shit lately ... and shipping it up north adds a another big chunk of $$$.

HeliMech is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Ian
 
HeliMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 3,313
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Why put off till 2016 that which can be started in 2015?
Because if I don't get this vw camper van done .... my wife will kill me. No joke. Lol

HeliMech is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
voodooridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 4,599
Rep Power: 1
 
Your domestic issues aren't our concern, we need entertaining


Dan
voodooridr is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Ian
 
HeliMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 3,313
Rep Power: 1
 
I'll need a camper to live in ... after she kicks me to the curb for bringing home so many entertaining projects.

HeliMech is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 12-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
voodooridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 4,599
Rep Power: 1
 
You'll freeze to death in a camper this time of year


Dan
voodooridr is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Robert
 
HRC27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 1,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Dan, start your damn RC51 swap and we'll be plenty entertained.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
HRC27 is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 12-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Ian
 
HeliMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 3,313
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC27 View Post
Dan, start your damn RC51 swap and we'll be plenty entertained.
x2 .... your time to "toe the line".

HeliMech is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 12-13-2015, 10:44 AM
GLG-20
 
Superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,354
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
Superdog is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 12-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
voodooridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 4,599
Rep Power: 1
 
It's "started" just not progressing very quickly, getting the headlight cage the way I want it without being a welder is proving...............interesting


Dan
voodooridr is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 12-13-2015, 10:56 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
voodooridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 4,599
Rep Power: 1
 
Besides, this isn't about me, it's ALL about Ian and his interesting winter projects
Everybody watch Ian


Dan
voodooridr is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 12-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Ian
 
HeliMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 3,313
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Besides, this isn't about me, it's ALL about Ian and his interesting winter projects
Everybody watch Ian


HeliMech is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 12-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Robert
 
HRC27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 1,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
It's "started" just not progressing very quickly, getting the headlight cage the way I want it without being a welder is proving...............interesting
Can't weld? Who the hell can weld!? Take to a welder and $20 or so later it's done.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
HRC27 is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 12-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius
 
voodooridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 4,599
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC27 View Post
Can't weld? Who the hell can weld!? Take to a welder and $20 or so later it's done.
Oh sure, sounds easy when you put it like that


Dan
voodooridr is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 12-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Robert
 
HRC27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 1,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Oh sure, sounds easy when you put it like that

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
HRC27 is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 12-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Robert
 
HRC27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 1,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
The thing that I find appealing about the CB1000R swing arm is that it uses a conventional non-linkage shock mount .... similar to the existing 919 rear end that's boxed and cast into the swingarm, and even the shocks look similar in length and design.

The overall length of the CB1000R SSS seems longer then the VFR set ups as well. If you look at 0cool's build and the "Italian job" builds the wheel base looks short compared to the original 919. Just look at the tip of the tail and drop a line off of them and see where it intersects the tire/wheel compared to a stock 919. Also the space between the rear wheel and fabricated shock mount is always very tight it looks.

Not taking away from either of those builds, they are both quality workmanship and lots of time and effort was put into them .... but altering the geometry of a bike is a gamble and u might not like the results.

Stumbled across this .... not like I am planning something .... I swear.


What wheel you reckon that is on the rear? For sure not CB1000R.

Also, you got a link Ian? If he did a how to, seems a interesting read. No plans on doing this though.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
HRC27 is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 12-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Robert
 
HRC27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 1,126
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Nevermind, VRF800 and: Brutale Hornet - build by opper - Wrist Twisters

Ooops, VFR800.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
HRC27 is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 08-09-2017, 06:28 AM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC27 View Post
Nevermind, VRF800 and: Brutale Hornet - build by opper - Wrist Twisters

Ooops, VFR800.
the rear swing arm is a cb1000r, the wheel is vfr800

tmac919 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome