Can't charge iPhone from my bike, tired 4 different chargers, all failed. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Can't charge iPhone from my bike, tired 4 different chargers, all failed.

I need to charge my phone and wanted a direct charger, I'll get a battery pack charger later, but need a charging port.

So I went to Kohl's, tried 4 time and they all failed (same brand). I tried Walmart and finally O'Reilly's Auto. The O'Reilly is a USB port direct to 12VDC, so maybe that one will work and so far it seems to be working on a test battery, but so did the others.

Some of these have been 1 and 2 amp USB output and one from Walmart had the iPhone cable built in and claims 2.4 amp.

I've wired to a cig adapter, then straight to the battery, still, each one has failed.

The best I got was an on/off/on/off/on/off repeating pattern from one as it seem to be resetting itself.

So I'm kinda lost on this. I figured poor ground, too high/low input voltage, weak + connection, etc...

That's when I went straight to the battery. I got one to work for a while by holding it directly to the battery, then it ended up dying after a short time.

Does anyone know of a brand that actually works on a motorcycle and does about 2 amps. IDK if the iPhone matters, should be the same for Android.

I've tried Kohl's, AM/PM, Walmart, O'Reilly. O'Reilly had about 10 choices and I'm now trying the direct wire version, same as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Access...38882558&psc=1

[EDIT] maybe one like this. Anyone give this brand a try?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F73MGX8...ICEVESDQN&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGZRLJL...ICEVESDQN&th=1

Also, where did you get a good "key switched" 12V+ source, no need to keep it powered all the time.

One more option, looks to be made for motorcycles:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDF3Z4L...10f44f45c&th=1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2019, 12:28 PM
GLG-20

Garage
I only need mine occasionally so don't have the same needs as a daily rider like you. I use a Battery Tender 081-0158; it attaches to my battery tender plug, so is easy to connect when I need it and just take it off again at the end of a ride. Obviously not switched, so can't help you there.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #3 of 7 Old 02-13-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
I only need mine occasionally so don't have the same needs as a daily rider like you. I use a Battery Tender 081-0158; it attaches to my battery tender plug, so is easy to connect when I need it and just take it off again at the end of a ride. Obviously not switched, so can't help you there.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Now that's interesting because you would be using the Battery Tender plug (I don't have one, but I could change that.

However, having it hang off the side vs having something mounted up by the handle bars with a rubber cover for rain seems like it's a better option.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I have this one I got at cycle Gear...(basically the same as the battery tender one Superdog has)
I've been using it for over a year with no problems. I have it zip tied to the handle bar riser.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...ide-usb-outlet

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I got a cheap "waterproof" one off ebay and installed it where the pair pump used to be in the front of the frame. I build wire harnesses at work all the time so installed a terminal block with ground, switched power with a relay I installed using the tail light wire to switch the relay, and constant hot. I run the phone charger (which is just two USB ports), my chain oiler, and the port for my heated gear all off the switched power on this terminal block. I know I've posted photos and a better description elsewhere on this forum before.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #6 of 7 Old 02-14-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Looks like I found a few interesting ones on Amazon, but one happens to have the handlebar mount included.

This one has a fuse, switch, cig adapter, 2 USB, clock, rain cover and a voltmeter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKR2F6Q...c-9751a1337b94

This one has the holder with the charger built in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Y1U2Z1FL&psc=1

I wouldn't mind having the handlebar holder for the phone.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
I got a cheap "waterproof" one off ebay and installed it where the pair pump used to be in the front of the frame. I build wire harnesses at work all the time so installed a terminal block with ground, switched power with a relay I installed using the tail light wire to switch the relay, and constant hot. I run the phone charger (which is just two USB ports), my chain oiler, and the port for my heated gear all off the switched power on this terminal block. I know I've posted photos and a better description elsewhere on this forum before.
Interesting, I'm wondering if that new QC 3 would work better with heated gloves. I don't use heated gloves, but if I did, and if they used the QC3 port, then I should get that (as long as it doesn't damage the iPhone).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode