Can you bring a battery back to life with fresh acid? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 03-06-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Can you bring a battery back to life with fresh acid?

I have a number of car batteries that don't keep a good strong charge. Some of these are large truck batteries and the replacement cost it pretty steep.

I've seen videos about using epsom salt and other tricks to bring them back.

I understand they are just plates and the plates get coated over time.

I'm wondering if I replace the acid mix that's in there with fresh acid from a motorcycle shop, wouldn't that make it like a new battery except for whatever coats the plates?

Is there something that can help to clean the plates without opening the battery and scraping them?

I always wondered why they don't make rebuildable batteries. I know it can be dangerous for regular people, but a simple removable top would allow a company to rebuild the guts without having to buy a new battery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-08-2016, 04:28 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Serious hazards associated with handling sulfuric acid. My only experience has been with a lawn tractor battery. I pipetted some battery acid out of my car's battery and put it into the lawn tractor battery and got a couple more seasons out of it. Not sure it was worth the trouble though, or the damaged front bumper of my car where a couple drops has landed without my knowing it until a couple days later.

post #3 of 15 Old 03-08-2016, 07:27 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
Do you really want to handle this type of acid? It aint lemon man...

Dead wrong

post #4 of 15 Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

As long as you respect it you're unlikely to have issues... I remember when I was younger you'd buy an empty battery and buy the acid separately and have to fill it yourself... I'm pretty sure my dad has a jug of acid in the basement somewhere from the last one he bought... I would imagine that someone does it, but I'm not sure how you would get the plates clean which is likely the main issue when a battery fails...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 15 Old 03-08-2016, 09:32 AM
GLG-20

Garage
I don't know how well they work, but don't some chargers have a desulfation mode?

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #6 of 15 Old 03-08-2016, 11:39 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
As long as you respect it you're unlikely to have issues... I remember when I was younger you'd buy an empty battery and buy the acid separately and have to fill it yourself... I'm pretty sure my dad has a jug of acid in the basement somewhere from the last one he bought... I would imagine that someone does it, but I'm not sure how you would get the plates clean which is likely the main issue when a battery fails...
The 919 AC Delco replacement batteries are like this, the acid is separate from the battery. It makes it great for storing an extra battery in case shiz happens (like my Shorai finally croaking).

Acid install is pretty fool proof with the ac Delco though, no Mcgiver moments.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #7 of 15 Old 03-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post

The 919 AC Delco replacement batteries are like this, the acid is separate from the battery. It makes it great for storing an extra battery in case shiz happens (like my Shorai finally croaking).

Acid install is pretty fool proof with the ac Delco though, no Mcgiver moments.
+1 I got one of the $29.95 AC Delco batteries and was surprised how easy it was to add the acid. It fired the bike right up too, without any charging needed.

post #8 of 15 Old 03-08-2016, 04:24 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I have a number of car batteries that don't keep a good strong charge. Some of these are large truck batteries and the replacement cost it pretty steep.

I've seen videos about using epsom salt and other tricks to bring them back.

I understand they are just plates and the plates get coated over time.

I'm wondering if I replace the acid mix that's in there with fresh acid from a motorcycle shop, wouldn't that make it like a new battery except for whatever coats the plates?

Is there something that can help to clean the plates without opening the battery and scraping them?

I always wondered why they don't make rebuildable batteries. I know it can be dangerous for regular people, but a simple removable top would allow a company to rebuild the guts without having to buy a new battery.
It is a trick of old that can sometimes get one out of a jam but the battery will never be like new.
The process is fraught with peril.
Some people buy 93-98 % industrial sulphuric and pour it in, not realizing battery acid is much weaker.
Some people know about the battery acid strength, but make the mistake of making up the acid solution by adding water to the strong acid (seriously bad stuff happens) instead of adding strong acid to water very slowly.
Some people try such a "save" for a good battery run dead flat, so that when fresh acid is added, the acid solution ends up being too strong. (as compared to a badly sulphated battery that is dead)
In short, for certain circumstances, some useful battery life can sometimes be realized by dumping and refilling with fresh acid, but one must be extremely careful in every respect.
I did it once for a friend about 40 years ago, and it served the moment's need.
I put it in same league as Saran Wrap condoms................................

post #9 of 15 Old 03-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I put it in same league as Saran Wrap condoms................................
Will that protect again battery acid?

post #10 of 15 Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

One battery in question is a commercial truck battery and it's about twice the cost of a regular one. It sat for a long time without use and now it has one cell that's not bubbling. It's coming back with about 10V, so it's a bad cell.

it just seems that the acid is so cheap and the lead/zinc plates should be usable. Hate to keep buying batteries all the dam time.

I remember my dad had a JCPenny's lifetime car battery, he sued them and won after some 25 years of use.

There should be some solution that can treat the plates and get the build up off.

post #11 of 15 Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Personally, I would not ever add acid to a battery after the initial fill. I've seen bad things happen. I totally understand about not wanting to buy new batteries; at almost $400 a crack for the bus batteries I've been replacing lately, I understand your pain. I've even had cells die a few months after purchase. It just sucks. But I would rather buy a battery than have one go haywire either in the box or in my face.

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-09-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

That's one of the things that I've heard. Water evaps from the solution, so if you add just acid, you get a different mix. That's why they only add water.

The whole battery business seems like a scam to me. There's not much reason to have more than three car batteries. Small, Med, Large. If they made them all the same, the price would drop. Kinda like the light bulb, most being the same, the price drops. Same thing with ink jet printer, they package the ink differently and jack up the price for something that should be dirt cheap.

post #13 of 15 Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
That's one of the things that I've heard. Water evaps from the solution, so if you add just acid, you get a different mix. That's why they only add water.

The whole battery business seems like a scam to me. There's not much reason to have more than three car batteries. Small, Med, Large. If they made them all the same, the price would drop. Kinda like the light bulb, most being the same, the price drops. Same thing with ink jet printer, they package the ink differently and jack up the price for something that should be dirt cheap.
For a while office max had a refill center where they take your old cartridges and refill em for less than a replacement. Not sure why it didn't stick.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #14 of 15 Old 03-11-2016, 03:08 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
Quote:

You are %80 correct. It has been a massive scam for the last 50 years. Only recently vehicles started using very different configurations with different energy needs.

Dead wrong
post #15 of 15 Old 03-13-2016, 12:50 PM
919>food>beer

I've recently started using a batteryminder that I got off amazon for 45 bucks prime, it is charging batteries i thought were toast long ago. From my reading the desufation pulsing truly works to bring batteries back from the grave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode