Calling all mechanics - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Calling all mechanics

Iím having a problem and I have a suspicion I may be the cause. Over the winter I did quite a bit of work to my 919 all at the same time. Since then I have a complete dead spot between idle and about 2200-2500 rpms. Itís mainly noticeable in first gear, because thatís the gear that sees those rpms.

During the winter I did the flapper mod, pair block offs, changed factory mufflers for Scorpion slip-ons, changed the injectors / throttle bodies, de-rusted the tank, changed fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and replaced the air filter. I also did a valve adjustment and this is where I think the problem lies. I think itís possible I have the cams 1 tooth out of time. Dead spot at idle but it runs marvelously at all other RPMs. It also seems to run just a tad hotter than it should.

The temperature problem could be in my head, and the loss of power at idle could be from the slip ons I suppose. Any input?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Here is a picture of my cam alignments. Anyone else familiar with what they should look like?

post #3 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I found an old thread to reference the marks off of. Iím fairly certain itís timed correctly but Iím still open to opinions before I put it back together one last time.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Here is a better picture for reference.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 12:53 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I cannot remember how the marks lined up exactly. But I plan to be in there looking at mine possibly this weekend. I can let you know then.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Is the "T" mark aligned with the index mark in the timing hole? Your marks look okay, but only if the T marks is lined up.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Shown here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UntitledTiming.jpg (237.8 KB, 19 views)

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Yes the ďTĒ mark is properly aligned. I went ahead and put everything back together. I was just doubting myself for no reason.

The problem seems to be that I didnít get the bike til October last year after it had cooled off. Now that itís hot out I didnít like how the temp gauge was acting. I think itís all good. Thanks for the input guys.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Tirone

I am a recent owner of a 919. Mine goes from cold to almost hot fairly quickly and it's only starting to warm up around here. 15 minutes of riding and stopping at a light usually means the fans are kicking in. That usually brings the temp back down pretty well. I've triple checked my coolant levels.

My 01 TL100R didn't run this hot this fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode