Cable lube didn't work as expected. Does yours fully return? - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x
  • 1 Post By Pvster
  • 1 Post By K1w1Boy

post #1 of 16 Old 10-29-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Cable lube didn't work as expected. Does yours fully return?

I disconnected the clutch cable and shot lube down there over and over again. I then cleaned and replaced and adjusted it. However, it still doesn't do a full return.

On the right side, the clutch cable pulls a lever that has a small spring, that external spring doesn't have enough strength to pull the cable by itself. The cable must overcome the spring of the switch, the friction of the cable, etc... and it's not actually pulling the clutch lever all the way back.

Does your clutch lever actually go all the way back? If you look at the little lever on the other end, does that little spring actually pull the whole thing AFTER the clutch springs have lost tension? There's two springs, the internal clutch basket springs that are strong and the tiny weak one on the outside. It's the tiny weak one that's not pulling the cable back, maybe it's just supposed to remove tension from the throwout bearing so that it doesn't rub all the time.

There's no adjustment to the tiny spring, it's fixed, but I could find a stronger one if it's supposed to do a full pull in stead of just tension release.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-29-2017, 08:50 PM
Tesserarius

I think it may be time for a new clutch cable, and if in doubt, replace that little spring, also. That clutch cable is at least 10 years old. You got the good out of it.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #3 of 16 Old 10-29-2017, 09:11 PM
919 Rider

Something doesn't sound right about your clutch. I'm don't know whats wrong but I had a look at my bike. My clutch works fine and that little spring on the bottom lever is sprung really tight. I have trouble pulling it off with just my fingernail hooked on it. Are your cable adjusters, top and bottom, out?

post #4 of 16 Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Something doesn't sound right about your clutch. I'm don't know whats wrong but I had a look at my bike. My clutch works fine and that little spring on the bottom lever is sprung really tight. I have trouble pulling it off with just my fingernail hooked on it. Are your cable adjusters, top and bottom, out?
So you're saying that the tiny spring on the end of the clutch cable is pulling your clutch lever ALL the way out?

So if you start pulling your clutch lever, you have spring tension from the tiny spring, then (as you keep pulling) you get more tension from the clutch springs? And the 1st level of tension from that tiny spring is enough to pull the cable and lever?

post #5 of 16 Old 10-29-2017, 11:50 PM
919 Rider

Yep. That little spring on my bike has a fair bit of pretension, my clutch lever snaps all the way back if I take my hand off. Maybe your little spring can be put on under tension. Has it been off before?

post #6 of 16 Old 10-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

If the clutch cable and lever are in good shape, that little spring on the pivot doesn't have much to do at all. It just takes the slack out of the cable and pulls lightly against the lever slack.
Is your clutch lever OEM and is the pivot pin well lubed and totally free? Do you have slack in the system? If you have an aftermarket lever that could be the problem.
The cables do wear out and they are cheap. If it is original and you've got a lot of miles on your bike, just change it.

As an option... Find someone that also has a 919 in your area to do a comparison with.

Good luck!

post #7 of 16 Old 10-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Centurion

Garage
Off topic, ohhh you have a blue one too Very nice very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
If the clutch cable and lever are in good shape, that little spring on the pivot doesn't have much to do at all. It just takes the slack out of the cable and pulls lightly against the lever slack.
Is your clutch lever OEM and is the pivot pin well lubed and totally free? Do you have slack in the system? If you have an aftermarket lever that could be the problem.
The cables do wear out and they are cheap. If it is original and you've got a lot of miles on your bike, just change it.

As an option... Find someone that also has a 919 in your area to do a comparison with.

Good luck!

post #8 of 16 Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Yep. That little spring on my bike has a fair bit of pretension, my clutch lever snaps all the way back if I take my hand off. Maybe your little spring can be put on under tension. Has it been off before?
I don't think it's ever been off. I think I need a way to get more lube in there. I spray it at the top and a little bit runs down, I need a lot more than that because it never came out the other side.

post #9 of 16 Old 10-30-2017, 01:49 PM
919 Rider

When I lube my cables the oil comes out the other end. Maybe your cable is sticking? I could take a pic of the lower clutch lever and little spring on my bike if it helps.

post #10 of 16 Old 10-30-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post

Good luck!
I'm pretty sure everything is original, I've cleaned and lubed the lever but haven't been able to lube inside the cable. I'll probably have to buy or make a tool because I spray in there and most doesn't even go down. It's very, very slow and it never came out the other end.

The interesting part is the it takes very, very little effort to move the lever full out. I wonder if the lever inside the clutch housing needs lube. The spring seems to have tension, but is having trouble moving things. Even with the lever off, it has trouble moving the cable.

I didn't see where to lube the lever that's inside the clutch cover.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-30-2017, 02:16 PM
RIDE RED

My money is on the cable is stuck/sticking. They?re not that expensive.$19.17 on partzilla.

post #12 of 16 Old 10-30-2017, 02:25 PM
919 Rider

Yeah get a new cable. Whenever I've had a bike cable stick and I can't get lube right through its usually because water has got in and rusted cable. Perhaps your cable outer covering has rubbed through somewhere, and water has got in. I think there is tip around here for pulling new cable through with the old?

post #13 of 16 Old 10-30-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Yeah get a new cable. Whenever I've had a bike cable stick and I can't get lube right through its usually because water has got in and rusted cable. Perhaps your cable outer covering has rubbed through somewhere, and water has got in. I think there is tip around here for pulling new cable through with the old?
Looks like I'm going to have to replace it. I'm adding it to the list.

That's a good idea about using the old cable, attach a new cable to the old one and pull it thru. Probably use some duct tape or cable ties.

post #14 of 16 Old 10-30-2017, 09:36 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to replace it. I'm adding it to the list.

That's a good idea about using the old cable, attach a new cable to the old one and pull it thru. Probably use some duct tape or cable ties.
Yup, new cable time. If the lubricant doesn't make it out the other end, there's a clog somewhere causing the cable to bind. With how old it is, you'll be impressed by how much of a difference the new cable makes.

Pro tip: disconnect both ends of the old cable, push in the upper end of the cable as far as you can, then barely stack and tape with duct tape. Only do 1 or 2 layers if you can help it. From there pull on the lower end of the old cable and slowly work the new cable to follow the same route. It takes varying amounts of strength and fitness. If it starts to take some bicep power, stop and figure out where the taped ends are getting hung up at.

Easier than it sounds.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #15 of 16 Old 11-02-2017, 10:22 AM
McTavish

If the cable has been rerouted, that could be at least part of the problem.

If the push / pull cable adjustment leaves too little slack, that could be at least part of the problem.

post #16 of 16 Old 05-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I think I need a way to get more lube in there.
In the very, VERY old days, before spray cans were invented, my brothers and I used to lube cables o/night by getting some light machine oil [sometimes from my mother's sewing machine supplies] and use that.

The process was to disconnect the cable at the lever, cut the corner out of a plastic bag, insert the cable into that hole, tie the plastic bag on to the very top of the cable housing, put the oil into the bag, then string the end of the cable up in the air from a rafter overnight. Gravity would do its work and oil would go all the way down the cable housing, lubing as it went.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable lube.jpg (6.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg cable 2.jpg (3.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png Cable3.png (82.4 KB, 4 views)
marylandmike likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode