Bike won't start after installing PCIII and Exhaust - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Bike won't start after installing PCIII and Exhaust

Hey everybody,
First, thank you for any and all ideas. Second, I know next to nothing about mechanical and electrical problems with cars/motorcycles, so I probably should have done this project with someone that does to learn from them. I figured this would be easy enough to learn, and I'm hopeful that with the expertise on this board it will be a success in the end. With that caveat, here is the problem: This afternoon and evening I installed a K&N air filter, a PCIII and a pair of Yoshi carbon fiber cans to my 2006 919. Everything was going smoothly until the VERY end of the project. After everything was installed and before replacing the tail section I started up the bike to make sure everything was running, and the bike started up right away. It sounded way better than the stock cans, which was very exciting. Figuring the project was successfully complete I turned off the bike, plugged in the tail light on the tail section, and screwed in the six bolts that hold on the tail section. I then turned the key to fire up the bike for a test drive, but the bike wouldn't start. Total bummer. The headlight/brights, turn signals, brake light all work just fine. Even the gauge needles do their pre-ignition movement, but the bike won't start at all. The PCIII still does its warm up sequence when I turn the key. Notably the bike doesn't make the electronic/grinding noise (starter priming?) it normally makes when the needles are doing their warm up thing. I figured it was probably just a blown fuse, so I checked the fuse box and all of the 10's and 20's in the box were just fine. I even replaced the first 20 in the ignition spot with a new fuse to no avail. I took apart the tail section again and ran through all of the wiring and connections to make sure that nothing had come undone when I re-installed the tail section, and I'm just not sure what to make of this. Particularly since the only thing that changed from the bike starting up with no problems to not starting at all was plugging in the brake light from the tail section... Any ideas? There was a 30 fuse that was a bit hard to pull and by this time of the evening I had to give up on the project, so that could be it. The 30 is not in the regular fuse box and I'm not sure what it's for. It didn't look blown from the top, but it may still be a problem. Besides all of the electronics appearing to work when the key is turned the bike doesn't make any noise or even try to start up now. I tried unplugging the tail light and starting it that way as that was the only thing that changed between starting up without a problem and not starting at all, but still no noise and no startup.
Other notable things about the bike - I'm the third owner. One of the previous owners installed aftermarket Rizoma turn signals with aftermarket wiring for the signals (very clean wiring that doesn't appear too complex). I previously installed a quick connection to my battery for a trickle charger and re-installed it when I hooked the battery back up after installing the PCIII. All of this was stable between starting the bike and then plugging in the brake light and the bike not starting. I think these are the only electronic additions that could be contributing to the problem. I have attached a picture of the setup under the seat. I apologize that it is not of better quality and doesn't show more, but it's the only one I could find on my phone at present. The only other thing that comes to mind is a random connector on the right side of the bike near where the PCIII hooks into the native ECU that wasn't connected to anything when I was really scanning the electronics on the last look over, but I'm pretty sure that that was not connected to anything when I started the whole project as their is no other connector to which it would attach. In other words, pretty sure that's not the problem.
Well, thank you for reading a very long post. Any ideas are welcome, and I'm hoping to get this thing sorted tomorrow evening as my bride and I were looking to go for a Saturday morning ride out to breakfast! Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you guys.
- Jazzdude
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Electronics.jpg (342.4 KB, 19 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM
The Cripple

Check the kill switch, make sure its in the "on" position.

edit: not being a dick, sorry I should of explained more. Remember the KISS principle. Keep it short and simple. Check the obvious but simple things, kill switch, is bike in gear while on kick stand, etc.

post #3 of 18 Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

That is hilarious in that I think you are correct sir. I think I stopped the bike after listening to the mufflers by hitting the kill switch which is something that I basically never do. Unfortunately the bike is several miles away in a garage, but I will try that tomorrow after work. Thanks for the suggestion and a rapid response.
- Jazzdude

Edit: Didn't take offense at all. I think you are correct. Really tired and didn't even think about the kill switch. Was running through electrical connections instead of keeping it simple. Will update tomorrow PM. Thanks again.

post #4 of 18 Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 PM
The Cripple

Anytime Jazzdude. Its happened to the best of us! Hopefully that's all it is. Keep us posted!

post #5 of 18 Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Tirone

Happened to one of us more than once.

post #6 of 18 Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Happened to one of us more than once.
yup... gonna admit early on with my 919 i had a couple instances of panic when i turned the key and it wouldnt start due to that very simple reason haha.

post #7 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 AM
-

Thank you MSF.

When you take the course, they cover [what you will think is silly at the time] "how to start your bike" using the acronym FINE-C. The funny thing is, after class, you'll never forget these steps for some reason.

post #8 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Discen

I've done the same thing

Current
2006 Honda CB900F 919 Hornet
Sold
1996 Suzuki GSF750 Kan.of.tuna
1985 Honda VF700 Intercepter
1997 Suzuki DR650
post #9 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Haven’t ever forgot about the kill switch, but have went into a frenzy looking for my key. Only to find it in the tail of the bike. It's often something so simple you just don't think about it. Hope it turns out well for ya.

post #10 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Tirone

Even more kill switch fun....sometimes I have trouble with my hands getting numb, and almost every time I've been on the interstate, going 80ish, and reach over and take the throttle with my left hand, to flex my right hand, I hit the kill switch. Talk about an oh sh-t moment. Slide up on the tank, sitting nearly sideways, and an except for God's intervention, a dozen or more tire tracks across you if you fall.

post #11 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Tirone

My kill switch has been shut off randomly in parking lots over the summer no less than 5 times. It is kinda a funny joke, go to start it and nothing, and your initial response is always oh no now what.

post #12 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Man and Machine

I had a panic moment at the grocery store once, i had for some odd reason turned off the run switch and thought what the heck! that's weird this thing always starts... What's the deal...had a Harley moment.

post #13 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hooray! I am a bit embarrassed and very grateful to report that it was indeed the kill switch. The bike is running very well and the sound is incredible compared to stock. Looking forward to taking it out for a ride tomorrow morning. Thanks again Pvster for the suggestion and to all others who can commiserate with missing the kill switch check before panicking about possible electrical issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new exhaust1.jpg (327.6 KB, 15 views)

post #14 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I still think you should have pulled the engine and grabbed the con-rod stretcher tool, it has to be low compression.

;-)

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #15 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
The Cripple

Whew, glad that's all it was! I've done it plenty of times myself lol. Enjoy the ride and thanks for the picture! Glad all is well.

post #16 of 18 Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdude View Post
Hooray! I am a bit embarrassed and very grateful to report that it was indeed the kill switch. The bike is running very well and the sound is incredible compared to stock. Looking forward to taking it out for a ride tomorrow morning. Thanks again Pvster for the suggestion and to all others who can commiserate with missing the kill switch check before panicking about possible electrical issues.
Glad to hear it was nothing but the switch.

Did you synch the PCIII to the bike's Throttle Positioner ?

What map are you running with the TRSs ?

post #17 of 18 Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Glad to hear it was nothing but the switch.

Did you synch the PCIII to the bike's Throttle Positioner ?

What map are you running with the TRSs ?
To answer your first question, I did not sync the PCIII to the throttle position. In fact, I have never heard of this until you brought it up. The bike is running really smoothly and my milage actually increased from about 45mpg to about 50mpg with the PCIII install. Very satisfied with it. I hesitate to ask because I don't know if I should mess with a good thing as it is currently set up and running well, but how would I go about syncing the PCIII with the throttle position?

To answer your second question, I don't know exactly what map it's running. I bought the TRS cans, K&N air filter, and PCIII from fuelmotousa.com and they loaded a map that they said would work for these cans. Is there a way to check with my mac computer hooking it up with a USB cable to check what map it is/save a copy on my computer easily? My guess is that it would probably be easy enough to do this and sync it with the throttle, but like I said above, really satisfied with the way the bike is running so I hadn't planned on changing the map from whatever they installed before they shipped it.

post #18 of 18 Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Glad you got it figured out and glad that it was a simple fix, those are always the best fixes, even when you have to bang your head against a wall for a while.

Hard to tell from the picture you posted, but is that where you mounted the PCIII, or is it just sitting there while you still have the tail off? If that's where you mounted it, I'd recommend moving it to one side or the other since it could get squished there if you and/or a passenger are on the bike.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode