Bike won't start - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Discen
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alberta,Canada
Posts: 258
Rep Power: 1
 
Bike won't start

Well, I have a problem with my DRZ

(i've been over to thumpertalk, and no help on this one so someone might have an idea here) I'll shorten the story

Went for a ride the other day, bike stopped running and wouldn't start (I've been having a problem with rust in the tank clogged the PJ) Took the carb out, cleaned it and the bike struggled to start but it did start, Rode it up to the nearest road to go home and it died again but started so I headed right for home.

On my way home It felt like a lost of power (Not huge lost of power, but some) when I pulled it the driveway the bike just shut off (It got me home though) Now it won't start, So here's what I've checked so far

Carb is cleaned again
new spark plug, it has very strong spark
the timing is right (Checked from TDC and looking at the cams)
Cam chain tensioner is manual, and doesn't appear to have backed off
Ignition timing is non adjustable on these bikes
Valves are in spec except for one exhaust is just alittle tight.
Checked over the wiring, and the dummy switches (kickstand and clutch switches have been removed on this this)
I drained the oil, looks like oil and doesn't smell like gas or coolant.

The starter will run, and I can feel the piston moving, It wants to start but it won't kick. The plug is wet after abit, so it's getting fuel and has spark so does this leave me with lack of compression?

I just found it weird since to rode home good then just died, wouldn't a lack of compression been really noticeable on the ride home that day?

Any help would be great, I just didn't want to start tearing the top end apart if I didn't have to, although it looks like I will be.

______________________________________
03 DRZ 400
05 VFR 800A
05 GSXR 1000
04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
Epicsoldier is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Hmm. It has air, fuel and spark... do a compression test? Thats about all thats left to do... good luck, Ben!





.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 AM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,655
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Battery?

rmb is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Discen
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alberta,Canada
Posts: 258
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Hmm. It has air, fuel and spark... do a compression test? Thats about all thats left to do... good luck, Ben!





.
Yeah I figured that would come up, wish I had a compression tester. Might have to take her to the local shop for a test.

Thanks though!

And the battery seems good, it has no problem cranking it over and over and over.

______________________________________
03 DRZ 400
05 VFR 800A
05 GSXR 1000
04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
Epicsoldier is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
so your carb is getting gas? i have seen some issues with the vacuum petcock... turn it to prime.

but if you are getting gas, and spark then hmm... never heard of such weird things with a drz.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 AM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,770
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicsoldier View Post
And the battery seems good, it has no problem cranking it over and over and over.
My suggestion is the same as above, check the battery and associated connection points. You'd be surprised that a battery has enough juice to crank the starter, but not have enough to get the bike to fire up. It sounds to me like either a bad battery or a loose battery connection/ground wire. Remember, KISS!

Pvster is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
The 919 project continues
 
mdtoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,427
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Have you removed the petcock and cleaned it out? If you're having rusting issues, I'd pull the tank and get that issue taken care of first.

mdtoney is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Discen
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alberta,Canada
Posts: 258
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Have you removed the petcock and cleaned it out? If you're having rusting issues, I'd pull the tank and get that issue taken care of first.
Yep, The petcock is new (few months ago) and the screen has been cleaned out. The battery is also new as of last spring, but I will put it on charge just to take that out of the equation.

Mind you, the motor has about 17K miles on it and the valves are worn (as I'm adjusting them alot, I just wanted to try to make it till the winter) It has been drinking oil (When I bought the bike, the valves were tight and f*cked the valve seals so I'm assuming that is where the leak was) I had a leak down and compression test done in the spring and it all showed good except for a 5% leak at 100psi.

When I say drinking oil, it wouldn't burn/smoke all the time, only the odd time usually during deceleration and it would only last 15 seconds and stop for awhile. When I drained the oil yesterday, I have a magentic drain plug and there was a huge goop of what looked like grease on the plug (never seen that when I changed the oil before)

I heard before that carbon + oil and make is goop like grease? is that true? I'm almost wondering if the motor is carbon-ed up to the point where a valve is stuck open? I'm gonna clean the oil screen (DRZ's are dry sump) and maybe pull the side cases off to see if there is anything wrong in them. I'll throw the battery on charge and check out the connectors also.

______________________________________
03 DRZ 400
05 VFR 800A
05 GSXR 1000
04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
Epicsoldier is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Princeps Prior
 
redline919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,894
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicsoldier
Well, I have a problem with my DRZ

(i've been over to thumpertalk, and no help on this one so someone might have an idea here) I'll shorten the story

Went for a ride the other day, bike stopped running and wouldn't start (I've been having a problem with rust in the tank clogged the PJ) Took the carb out, cleaned it and the bike struggled to start but it did start, Rode it up to the nearest road to go home and it died again but started so I headed right for home.

On my way home It felt like a lost of power (Not huge lost of power, but some) when I pulled it the driveway the bike just shut off (It got me home though) Now it won't start, So here's what I've checked so far

Carb is cleaned again
new spark plug, it has very strong spark
the timing is right (Checked from TDC and looking at the cams)
Cam chain tensioner is manual, and doesn't appear to have backed off
Ignition timing is non adjustable on these bikes
Valves are in spec except for one exhaust is just alittle tight.
Checked over the wiring, and the dummy switches (kickstand and clutch switches have been removed on this this)
I drained the oil, looks like oil and doesn't smell like gas or coolant.

The starter will run, and I can feel the piston moving, It wants to start but it won't kick. The plug is wet after abit, so it's getting fuel and has spark so does this leave me with lack of compression?

I just found it weird since to rode home good then just died, wouldn't a lack of compression been really noticeable on the ride home that day?

Any help would be great, I just didn't want to start tearing the top end apart if I didn't have to, although it looks like I will be.
My buddy had the same problem. It was the valves. It would be hard to believe 17k on a Drz without head work

redline919 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Why's everything on fire?
 
CB700S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,308
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Your problem is that you bought a DRZ. You have a compression problem like most of them develop after not terribly long, either rings or valves; one of my local shops does head and cylinder work for thumpers and you can watch their eyes light up when someone says they have a DRZ. Not knocking your bike, just pointing out that this is a known issue with the thing.

Most likely valves, based on your description. And it's going to do it again at about the same interval once you put it back together.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
CB700S is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Rep Power: 1
 
Now before you condemn you bike...I have a few ideas to try first. I have to say I don't know much about bikes so if I say something idiotic, well, that's why. Now, if it were a car id say to check fuel pressure, could be fuel filter or pump, check air filter (could be really clogged?), and finally if u have a catalytic converter, since its been smoking, it could be clogged.

84interceptor is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome