Bike knocked over - brake lights affected? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-21-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Bike knocked over - brake lights affected?

So some chump knocked my bike over. They lifted it back up. Small crack in my windscreen, bent bar end weight, scuffed footpeg - no substantial damage.

What's strange is that my rear indicator lights, which are stock and would normally be on as daytime running lights, won't turn on. They function as indicators perfectly though. Likewise, my taillight is on but does not brighten as i engage either front or rear brake.

Could be possible that this was the case before the tip over. Either way, I need to figure it out. Any suggestions? The wiring diagram was an utter puzzle to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

My bikes rear indicators are not on. The fronts are. The rear only activate for turn signals

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #3 of 8 Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
My bikes rear indicators are not on. The fronts are. The rear only activate for turn signals

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
as running lights? okay great, one less problem then ha ha. Just the brake lights activating then hmm.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 PM
919 Rider

Front brake. Check the two wires that slide onto terminals under front brake master cylinder. They come off easy.
Rear brake. Check to make sure switch on footpeg isn't out of adjustment. Probably just isn't activating switch.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-22-2017, 07:12 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Front brake. Check the two wires that slide onto terminals under front brake master cylinder. They come off easy.
Rear brake. Check to make sure switch on footpeg isn't out of adjustment. Probably just isn't activating switch.
+1

sucks about your bike. i had some lady back in to mine and knock it over. left me a note, busted a bar end mirror but i think that was it. luckily someone helped stand it back up right away. Its sorta understandable. people are so out of it with driving now that it's really easy to glance back (oh there's no massive SUV behind me, must be fine) and back up too far, or just misjudge the distance.

the rear brake pedal switch is funky to work with.. gotta adjust one thing up and another thing down.. if i remember right. but just have the bike next to a wall or something so you can see when the brake light goes on.. with the rear i think if your pushing by hand you have to give a decent push to get it to light up. the front should do it right away, but like island boy said those little connectors pop off all the time.
i don't think any of my indicators are on all the time.. but if your bike was bought used someone could have wired it that way, mine are aftermarket LEDs so idk how they acted originally.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-22-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

thanks folks!

@Islandboy was right, I pulled off the two connectors for the front brake, shook them a bit, dusted them off, and popped them back in. right as rain.

In doing this I realized that my handlebar shifted about an inch to the left in the fall (@CKutz_GO props to you for being understanding of them, i'm fuming). So I just need to figure out those clamp rivets and I'll shift it back over

post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
with the rear i think if your pushing by hand you have to give a decent push to get it to light up..
If it's adjusted correctly it should go on just as easily as the fronts... I have mine set so the light goes on right before the brakes start being applied...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #8 of 8 Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicholas View Post
thanks folks!

@Islandboy was right, I pulled off the two connectors for the front brake, shook them a bit, dusted them off, and popped them back in. right as rain.

In doing this I realized that my handlebar shifted about an inch to the left in the fall (@CKutz_GO props to you for being understanding of them, i'm fuming). So I just need to figure out those clamp rivets and I'll shift it back over
well, i've probably done worse to the bike than they did.. but it is pretty boneheaded.. about the clamp rivets. they are just plastic covers over metric socket head screws. pop the covers off with a screwdriver, pretty sure it's a size 6 alan socket for the bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
If it's adjusted correctly it should go on just as easily as the fronts... I have mine set so the light goes on right before the brakes start being applied...
yea, mine probably wasn't originally... i forget how it's set up.. but iw onder if as your brake pads where that gap will increase or decrease.. maybe it's not related.. eh. just one of those things to check occassionally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode