big issue - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

big issue

Hello guys. now that I cought your attention.... need your help people. didnt know really with whom to discuss, so here goes.. I have a gsxr 600 srad and after my trip from the UK to Germany I noticed the bike is spitting out oil from the exhaust. it starts and runs well but spitting oil as crazy. could it be the piston rings? and would it be a difficult and expensive repair? thanks for your answers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 04:02 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Is it overfilled with oil? Does it smoke? Have you checked the sparkplugs?

post #3 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 04:22 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

when you say spitting oil...is it obviously oil or just lots of black soot? Also, is it smoking? If oil were making it to the exhaust, I would expect a nice oil burning stink and at least a little smoke.

Press Any Key To Continue.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

the spark plugs are alright as it should be, the engine was not overfilled with oil and there is no blueish smoke. i thought it might be the water condensate, but the bike was in a fairly warm garage and iīve driven it 1 day ago. this morning when i started the bike and gave some gas my hand was literaly getting black from the stuff comming out of the exhaust. i rode it just minutes ago to double check and it seemed alright just some black spots on a white tissue when giving gas.. tell me guys, is it normal for the engine to burn oil on really long trips? in the UK i filled the oil till max and in Germany its on min.

post #5 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 AM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimer View Post
the spark plugs are alright as it should be, the engine was not overfilled with oil and there is no blueish smoke. i thought it might be the water condensate, but the bike was in a fairly warm garage and iīve driven it 1 day ago. this morning when i started the bike and gave some gas my hand was literaly getting black from the stuff comming out of the exhaust. i rode it just minutes ago to double check and it seemed alright just some black spots on a white tissue when giving gas.. tell me guys, is it normal for the engine to burn oil on really long trips? in the UK i filled the oil till max and in Germany its on min.
No... I would say that is not normal...

Now I am going to give you the best advice your ever going to get...

Sell it for parts and buy a Honda.

My buddy has a SRAD and his engine is totally shot at 17k miles...

Spoiler:
post #6 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

i do love hondas but i wouldnt say that SRADs are bad bikes... iīve red so many reviews about it and spoke with many owners and none of them said anything bad about this model. Basspiece, perhaps your friendīs bike was f%§%ed up from the beggining. I know that the only problem all gsxr bikes have is the cam tentioner can ware out at any mileage. iīve never had such a long trip in one go and the disapierance of oil got me wondered can it be normal...

post #7 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 07:50 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Just curious. How far of a ride is the uk to deutzland?

post #8 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

560 miles mate

post #9 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 08:36 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sounds like you have a Problem, Either Piston Rings, or Valves. What year is the bike and how many miles on it? I would think the Sparkplugs tips would be pretty black and oily as well if you are burning that much oil in 500 miles.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #10 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Optio

Garage
If you have access to a compression tester do a compression test on the motor. If there is one cylinder that is a lot lower than the others squirt a little bit of oil in this cylinder and see if this brings the compression back up. If it does then the piston rings are going or gone. If not then start looking at thinks like valves.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #11 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The only time I had anything like that was with an old KZ 550. Sounds exactly the same problem I had. Hole in the piston. It will get worse and start to smoke a lot. Eventually you will start to get gas in the oil as well.

Spoiler:

post #12 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

i came to a conclusion that everything should be alright for a number of reasons:
1. it was the condensate in the morning.
2. when the engine got warmer on idle there was absolutely nothing comming out and when giving a lot of revs just some black spots appeared, nothing to be worried about.
3. theres absolutely no smell or smoke comming out of the exhaust
4. i rode 560 miles non stop (just fueling) at a constant minimum speed of 90m/h. sometimes waaay more... furthermore i got some info from some people saying that their sport cars consumed oil when driving long miles at quite high speeds.
so i think it was a false alarm. thanks everyone for your thoughts if ill notice it getting worse ill definatelly need to fix it

post #13 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 10:27 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Well. Next time you make that trip take some photos and post them for us. And ride careful

post #14 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

cheers! will do

post #15 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimer View Post
i do love hondas but i wouldnt say that SRADs are bad bikes... iīve red so many reviews about it and spoke with many owners and none of them said anything bad about this model. Basspiece, perhaps your friendīs bike was f%§%ed up from the beggining. I know that the only problem all gsxr bikes have is the cam tentioner can ware out at any mileage. iīve never had such a long trip in one go and the disapierance of oil got me wondered can it be normal...
gsxrs only problem is the cam tensioner? What about that 'little frame problem' they had? American Suzuki Recalling 2005-2006 GSX-R1000s For Frame Bracing, Replacement Or Reimbursement News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

post #16 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Greg

Vlad, are you SURE someone didn't swap an old BSA or Triumph in place of your Suzi while you weren't looking?
Seriously, the oil could have been over filled and high pressure squooshed (technical term) ahl (Texas pronunciation of "oil") past rings, seals, et al....some or all of the above....UNTIL it reached an equilibrium. Then stopped doin it.

post #17 of 17 Old 06-13-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

beefsalad, that was only with 2005-2006 r1 so thats a different story, kawasaki ninjas also had some trouble with their frames from certain years, but the cracks appear from extreme stunting or hard colisions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode