Battery Woes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Battery Woes

Today was an interesting day. 919 left me stranded for the first time ever. Wife and I rode all day in the hot Phoenix heat, stopped and started it several times with no issues. Then later in the afternoon rode to the base of south mountain and stopped to get water before heading up the summit. Bike was turned off maybe 5 minutes, only to come back and have the starter whirr down as the battery died.

Da fuq?!

Tried push starting it a few times to no avail, got to a point where the engine wouldn't even turn over anymore, the rear tire would just drag. So I let it sit and pulled the battery out. The battery was actually way too hot to handle with bare hands much to my surprise. One side (inside towards the air filter housing) was much hotter than the other side.

Had several people offer to jump it, except they didn't have cables lol. One family stopped and said they had cables, so they gave me a jump and the bike fired right up and kept running. The guy said that its known for the heat to zap batteries like that, but its hard to tell if the battery needs replacing or if it just needs to cool down.

Well I can't have that happening again. So, what do I look at for a replacement battery?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I would do some research on how well lithium batteries handle the heat. We already know they take a while to warm up while cold, but I don't know how they handle extreme heat for extended periods of time.

...on my droid.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 04:06 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Heat is a notorious killer of conventional batteries. It would be interesting to know what kind of battery it was, the in service date, mileage, and if it was tendered.

The Yuasa in my ST just died yesterday, tendered all of its life, in service date was 8/04 with 48K on the clock. I rolled it out of the garage, hit the starter button, and nada. I just did 1650 miles down to Mt. Airy, NC the week before last with no issues.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

post #4 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 04:35 AM
Honda919Rider #1

I like visiting the Valley - My suggestion, replace the battery, head up to Sedona via backroads.

Then up to Flagstaff and do the Sunset Crater loop.

It you need a place to sleep, ride up to Lockett Meadow and camp, you'll thank me.

Return home, post pictures.

Enjoy!

post #5 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 04:55 AM
Cornicen

I just picked up a lithium battery, weighs like 1/4 of what most batteries weigh.

Also, removing that battery on the side of the road must have been awful. I was struggling to get my battery out in the garage not long ago. Honestly, who designed that housing for the battery?!!?

I will be attaching some leads soon so I won't have to mess with it again. Does anyone have any mods they did to make access to the battery easier?

Bikes:
2004 V-Rod (sold)
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2003 RC51
2010 Triump Scrambler (sold)
2003 CB900F
2004 CBR 600rr

Non Bikes:
2007 JK Sahara
2005 CTS V (sold)
2006 Audi S4
post #6 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

My GSX-R has 2 bolts and takes 30 seconds to get out.
My 919 has 1 bolt and takes @#$%@#$ %%#$ $#@$#@ to get out.

Yup crappy design for sure!

Sucks getting stranded, can you do a load test on it like an old school battery?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbonater View Post
I just picked up a lithium battery, weighs like 1/4 of what most batteries weigh.

Also, removing that battery on the side of the road must have been awful. I was struggling to get my battery out in the garage not long ago. Honestly, who designed that housing for the battery?!!?

I will be attaching some leads soon so I won't have to mess with it again. Does anyone have any mods they did to make access to the battery easier?
High on my list of things to do. The positive cable terminates at the main fuse. I'm hoping to be able to piggyback the terminal there, although it's kinda cozy there too. Otherwise I'll cram a second cable inside the battery box.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #8 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Heat is a notorious killer of conventional batteries. It would be interesting to know what kind of battery it was, the in service date, mileage, and if it was tendered.
I will check into that and post back when I can. I can say its an AGM battery, sealed.

What should I be replacing it with? My search so far does not yield any type of battery that likes 110+ weather.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

How old was the battery? Could it just be at the end of its normal life regardless of the heat. I'm sure they all get pretty hot with the location of the battery box right next to the engine.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Bike has been starting up and running fine all day today. Never experienced this before so this is new to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode