Barnett Clutch Kit???'s - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pvster

post #1 of 12 Old 12-15-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question Barnett Clutch Kit???'s

Does anyone have any experience with the Barnett Clutch Kit. I am thinking of going with this kit to get smoother shifts along with the shift kit from Factory Pro.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-15-2016, 08:25 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP34 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Barnett Clutch Kit. I am thinking of going with this kit to get smoother shifts along with the shift kit from Factory Pro.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
I doubt that Barnett plates would have smoother engagement than stock Honda plates and stiffer springs are not a smoothing element either.

Also, many have said that 919s worked harder shift better.

What is it that you are experiencing that is problematic ?
If it's the actual shifting of gears, I doubt it's the clutch that's causal.

The Factory Pro bits look intriguing, I'm intending on those too for next season re track days useage.

post #3 of 12 Old 12-15-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Very clunky feel in gears 1-2 when cruising. Neutral is a pain to locate sometimes. I just want smooter engagement overall. I had a buddy with a CBR1000 who's clutch was smooth like butter. Click Click is what I experienced even though I had little seat time or familiarity with his bike. I want the same experience. Spoke to Marc at Factory Pro. He stated his shift kit will resolve the aforementioned issues. Placed my order. We shall see. Love my 919 I am just trying to get her dialed in to be the riding experience I want. PC3 is installed. Fluids are new and up to date. I was told lubricating clutch cable may help. It's more the feel of the shifter on the foot I am looking to smooth out. Thanks for the prompt response. Any input you have is greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-15-2016, 08:43 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Very clunky feel in gears 1-2 when cruising. Neutral is a pain to locate sometimes. I just want smooter engagement overall. I had a buddy with a CBR1000 who's clutch was smooth like butter. Click Click is what I experienced even though I had little seat time or familiarity with his bike. I want the same experience. Spoke to Marc at Factory Pro. He stated his shift kit will resolve the aforementioned issues. Placed my order. We shall see. Love my 919 I am just trying to get her dialed in to be the riding experience I want. PC3 is installed. Fluids are new and up to date. I was told lubricating clutch cable may help. It's more the feel of the shifter on the foot I am looking to smooth out. Thanks for the prompt response. Any input you have is greatly appreciated.
You can test the clutch cable by disconnecting the end at the actuating arm and then checking the cable friction. It'll either be good or it won't be. If not stock bars, check the cable routing as that can very easily be a factor.

My guess is you'll like the F Pro bits.

I found the 919 likes lever preload more than I was used to, but then, maybe that's why I was such a hacky shifter back in the day. LoL.
Also, there's a fair bit of accumulated slop all the way through the external linkage system.
That slop manifests itself as "lost motion".
Yet another reason for some lever preload, as that takes up the lost motion.

Make sure the shifter arms are aligned, one spline out can really have an effect. The arms are supposed to be parallel.

If you have stock front springs, keep in mind the very divey front end exaggerates any "unsmoothness".

post #5 of 12 Old 12-16-2016, 06:49 AM
The Cripple

+1, don't pussy foot the shift lever. Work the 919 harder and it'll shift more smoothly for you. Also, don't shift below 4k rpms between 1st and 2nd. The 919 box is a quirky Lil thing that you just get used to and have to learn what it likes/doesn't like.

What year and how many miles?
ewmin3m likes this.

post #6 of 12 Old 12-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Centurion

Garage
Pussy foot.... lol

+2 on what Pvster said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
+1, don't pussy foot the shift lever. Work the 919 harder and it'll shift more smoothly for you. Also, don't shift below 4k rpms between 1st and 2nd. The 919 box is a quirky Lil thing that you just get used to and have to learn what it likes/doesn't like.

What year and how many miles?

post #7 of 12 Old 12-16-2016, 10:10 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

A clunky gear box on a Honda is generally one of two things

1. An abused gear box that has been ran too hard with improper shifting technique that is wearing internals and/or improperly adjusted clutch action.

2. Poor choice of engine oil or excessively worn engine oil. Unlike cars modern motorcycles share their engine oil with the transmission. Motorcycle oil is specially formulated with friction modifiers to allow the use of organic plates within the clutch pack. Some oils are better than others when it comes to this part of equation and then there are still guys out there that insist on running car oil in their motorcycle with wet clutches...

A Barnett Kit will not fix either of those issues and will likely exacerbate the latter. In fact most Barnett kits are actually a little more grabby than OEM clutches especially the Kevlar versions and they also dirty up the oil bath with alarming quickness.

post #8 of 12 Old 12-16-2016, 10:11 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

That's 2 helpful posts in the same day on this site. That's all yer getting from me today

post #9 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 05:41 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I ran the Barnett kit in mine from around the 74k mile mark until I wrecked just before hitting 85k (my steel plates had spots of wear that were out of limits, I found it weird too). I soaked the plates in oil for a day before I installed, and the clutch springs were torqued to specifications in the service manual. With the slight difference between that and stock, some of that excess freeplay/lost motion in the clutch lever was gone. After all was said and done with it, I feel it was slightly better than stock. Had good grip, lever pull had a little more resistance, and she bit a little harder. Nothing to go out and pick up because its a necessity. As far as my experience with the stock 919 clutch, I bought my bike used with 3,300 miles on her. So I've never ridden a 9 with a brand new clutch until I installed the Barnett.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #10 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
I ran the Barnett kit in mine from around the 74k mile mark until I wrecked just before hitting 85k (my steel plates had spots of wear that were out of limits, I found it weird too). I soaked the plates in oil for a day before I installed, and the clutch springs were torqued to specifications in the service manual. With the slight difference between that and stock, some of that excess freeplay/lost motion in the clutch lever was gone. After all was said and done with it, I feel it was slightly better than stock. Had good grip, lever pull had a little more resistance, and she bit a little harder. Nothing to go out and pick up because its a necessity. As far as my experience with the stock 919 clutch, I bought my bike used with 3,300 miles on her. So I've never ridden a 9 with a brand new clutch until I installed the Barnett.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am at the point where I am getting her dialed in. She has 31k miles. I purchased the shift kit for Factory Pro. We'll see how that goes as far as performance. So yay or nay on the Barnett clutch kit? Should I try different springs that are less stiff then what comes with the kit? Thanks again for you input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #11 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 11:14 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am at the point where I am getting her dialed in. She has 31k miles. I purchased the shift kit for Factory Pro. We'll see how that goes as far as performance. So yay or nay on the Barnett clutch kit? Should I try different springs that are less stiff then what comes with the kit? Thanks again for you input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMHO, the Barnett kit for the 919 is a small step above the OEM. If your current clutch doesn't have any issues, I would leave it and see how the shift kit works with it. If you feel the stock clutch isn't cutting it for you the Barnett might be worth a shot. I would keep the springs with the kit though. They are nowhere near as stiff as the springs from their race kits. Those things are no joke.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #12 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 01:04 PM
The Cripple

I say nay with the Barnett kit. The box really shines under load and once you're good with it, can be smooth.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if your clutch Springs were out of spec. At nearly 48k miles, my clutch Springs were just barely out of spec. The main reason I ordered the factory pro kit was because my shifts were getting really sloppy with no predictability. Turned out that while my clutch Springs were barely out of spec, I actually had a failure of the detent arm that was causing the issues, I suspect. Also the detent spring showed signs of stress fatigue so I used the one from factory pro. I also installed new oem clutch Springs. Haven't had a chance to get the 919 fully assembled so I can test it. If it wasn't for the detent arm bearing failing, I'd likely stay with oem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode