Bar end Mirrors on 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Bar end Mirrors on 919

Hey guys!

I just bought these for my 919
Amazon.com: 2000-2007 Honda CB 900F 919 Bar End Mirrors: Automotive
and now how do install them....do i just take the bar ends off and move all my controls up cause the hang off that half inch with the stock bar ends? and do I pull the guts of the stock bars out or do I just use the same mounts as the stock bar ends?

thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome!

Just pull the bar ends out and slap these on. Shouldn't have to adjust any control pods.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 32 Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

they have the expanders to grip in the bars.....and my grips hang off to far they would hit the mirrors and the stock internals are at the end of the bar should i just rip that stuff our or try and use it?

post #4 of 32 Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Ah, I gotcha.

First off, you would take all the internals out of the stock bar ends - the anti-vibe inserts, all that would come out. Then these mirrors would go in just by themselves.

Apart from cutting down your grips, which you probably don't want to do, the only other option is to move your control pods up the bars a bit to make room.

Or get a new set of bars and install it all from scratch.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 AM
The Cripple

Or a better option:

Take your bar end weights to someone who can use a lathe on them. Takes about 5 minutes and it allows you to mount the bar end mirrors onto the weights themselves without having to modify anything else.

post #6 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Princeps Prior

I took my weights out and cut them down a lil for the mirror inserts. Then put an O ring on the end I cut to reduce vibration and put the weights back in. Then install the mirrors since you now have room inside the handlebars.

post #7 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Hastatus Prior

^^^ man, why didn't I think of this!

I'm gonna cut mine down and put em back in.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #8 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

redline can you show a picture? if you have one?
Im concerned if i take the bar weights out that its going to vibrate like a bitch.
If i take the guts our of the handlebar can i put it back in? or do i have to get new stuff?

post #9 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Princeps Prior

Cool

I don't have a picture but you take the weights out cut them enough for the mirrors to fit in the bars also. Put an o ring on the end of the weights you cut on so it doesn't vibrate. The other end has one already. Put them back in. Put your mirrors on. Bam!

post #10 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshulsair View Post
redline can you show a picture? if you have one?
Im concerned if i take the bar weights out that its going to vibrate like a bitch.
If i take the guts our of the handlebar can i put it back in? or do i have to get new stuff?
Search is your friend. Here is the set that I had:https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...out-29477.html

No oring is needed, I never had issues with any vibs and I used cheapo ebay barend mirrors.

post #11 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

OHH i understand... i was thinking you meant put the mirrors on the inside of the weights but your saying put the mirrors on the outside and add an o ring so the mirrors dont vibrate?

post #12 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM
The Cripple

No, you cut out a section in the middle of the bar end weight using a lathe to the diameter needed to fit the barend mirrors. The barend mirror comes apart where you see the upper and lower piece bolted together. No oring is needed as I had zero problems with vibs and I highly doubt the member I sold them to has any problems with vibes as well.

post #13 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Princeps Prior

Lol a lathe. Dude man up pull the weights out. The weights are the guts. Cut some off with a grinder put an oring like this put the weights back in the bars put the mirrors in. You are just cutting off enough for the mirrors to fit in the bars. Get it? The mirrors do not attach to the weights. The o ring is so it doesn't vibrate

ForumRunner_20120711_004419.png

ForumRunner_20120711_004717.png

ForumRunner_20120711_004529.png

post #14 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I understand thanks guys so much

post #15 of 32 Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Lol a lathe. Dude man up pull the weights out. The weights are the guts.
If you're gonna do that much work, might as well just yank out the bars and leave em out. Still no issue with the vibes with the bar end mirrors mounted directly to the bars

Clearly redline and I are talking about two very different approaches. If you want to have the mirrors up against the bars, you can do what he described, or just yank out the weights altogether. If you want to keep the barends intact, you can do what I showed. You got some nice options whatever route you decide to do.

post #16 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster

If you're gonna do that much work, might as well just yank out the bars and leave em out. Still no issue with the vibes with the bar end mirrors mounted directly to the bars

Clearly redline and I are talking about two very different approaches. If you want to have the mirrors up against the bars, you can do what he described, or just yank out the weights altogether. If you want to keep the barends intact, you can do what I showed. You got some nice options whatever route you decide to do.
You're funny ^ What I described is hard to do? The purpose of cutting the weights is so you can still have them in there obviously. Who in the world has access to a lathe anyway when you can do what I said at home for free

post #17 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
You're funny ^ What I described is hard to do? The purpose of cutting the weights is so you can still have them in there obviously. Who in the world has access to a lathe anyway when you can do what I said at home for free
And you're dismissive rather than seeing other possibilities. Shoe fits on the other foot ya know

To flip it back on you: Who in the world wants to cut their barend weights when they could just pull them out and not use them? I certainly didn't have any issues.

As to the lathe, if one doesn't have one, its not hard to find a local machine shop that most surely does. Nor is it hard to pay $5.00 or a case of beer (or a blow job in your case) to get the job done.

In fact, I have an extra set of barends that I would be happy to find a machine shop to put a lathe to it for someone (at cost of course) if they couldn't find one themselves.

The way you described is one useful way, there are also 2 other useful ways. Its all up to the OP to decide which way they want to go since each method has their pros/cons.

Now chill out. There's plenty of ways to go about the same goal

post #18 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Princeps Prior

Lol

post #19 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Princeps Prior

Someone please close this thread before this guy asks me out on a date!

post #20 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Someone please close this thread before this guy asks me out on a date!
What's the matter? Can't hold your own? Getting a little too sensitive?

OP, you got plenty of options here If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and some of us will help out as much as we can. If you're concerned about your barends and/or weights, I've got an extra pair of both laying around somewhere I can sell ya for cheap so you have spares/back ups if needed. I'm sure a few other people on here have extras as well that they might be willing to get rid of.

post #21 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Princeps Prior

Get over yourself.... No one cares what you have to say. He was talking to me not you in the first place. But you had to start dick ridin as per usual. Putting your useless comments at the end of every thread just to get the last word. Again no one cares. He already figured it out. Get on with your life. Its nice outside. Go find some more guys to pole jock

post #22 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 AM
The Cripple

If you look at post #15 you'll see that I identified the fact that we were talking about two different approaches when it probably sounded like we were talking about the same thing to the OP until pictures were provided.

LOL... damn you make it too damn easy. Why do you have your panties in a wad eh? Did I piss in your corn flakes this morning?

Cry more....

post #23 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Princeps Prior

Again no one cares get a job

post #24 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Again no one cares get a job
I have a job, but thank you for the offer.

Op let me know if you have any more questions. We can help you with.

post #25 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Bacon-powered

I would go with Pvster's option here. It gives you the best of most worlds. You get to keep your vibration dampeners intact (good in case you want to go back to stock) and you get to keep your bar end weights on. You won't have to move your grips and pods. Bonus. The only downside I can see to it, is that you'll take some of the finish off the bar end weights which could lead to rust. Painting is easy though. You won't be able to use the end plug expander on the mirrors. Make sure you figure out what diameter the turned down section needs to be for the mirror clamp before you give the end weights to a machinist.

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919
post #26 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshulsair View Post
Hey guys!

I just bought these for my 919
Amazon.com: 2000-2007 Honda CB 900F 919 Bar End Mirrors: Automotive
and now how do install them....do i just take the bar ends off and move all my controls up cause the hang off that half inch with the stock bar ends? and do I pull the guts of the stock bars out or do I just use the same mounts as the stock bar ends?

thanks for the help
I have the exact same ones and while all the suggestions are valid, the best solution I found was a new set of bars (the Moose Racing or Fly Racing Carbon Steel have enough weight you don't need the internals) with the controls set in 1/2 an inch and the mirrors just clamped on to the end. They are super stable, vibration free and I've never felt like they were going to come out of the bar (I never really trust the compression inserts). Plus, you're going to get sick of the stock bars in like a week anyway.

Here's what they look like mounted (with the new bar):
919_rear_left_040912.jpg

Here are a couple bar links:

Fly Racing 1010
Moose Racing

post #27 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
The Cripple

Those bars look sweet 2002-919. Are they "noisy" at all?

very valid point regarding the paint ekovach, I never thought to look at mine closely but I didn't notice any rust issues when I took them off to sell to another member on here (wish I could remember who it was).

post #28 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
What?

Quote:
No vibes. Rock solid without any inserts. And since they are steel I didn't hesitate to drill the keeper hole for the throttle housing. (Though, from what I've read, the alum bars are fine for that too.). Plus they were like $18.

post #29 of 32 Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM
The Cripple

18 bucks is a great price! Do you know if its a steel alloy?

post #30 of 32 Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 AM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
18 bucks is a great price! Do you know if its a steel alloy?
http://www.flyracing.com/product/mot...bars/453/black

Yep, the are a carbon steel alloy.

$19 at Amazon - Amazon.com: Fly Racing 1010 Carbon Steel 7/8" Standard Handlebars - ATV/Black: Automotive

They have push in endcaps. So when you clamp the bar ends onto the actual bar, you can just cap the end and it looks pretty clean.

One note, if I was doing it all over again, I'd probably cut 1/2" to an 1" off the ends of the bars and narrow them up a little, but my previous bikes were an 05' CBR1000RR, '07 R1, '05 R1, and '02 R1. So, I like the narrower feel.

As it is though, the lines all fit really nice with no adjustments needed. Just roll the bar forward or backward in the perch to get what feels right to you.

Oh, and the most important thing - Put a TOWEL or, better yet, a piece of CARDBOARD (corrugated will eat a small, dent causing, impact) over the tank when you are swapping the handlebars.. You WILL drop something on it.. the bars, a lever, a bolt, a tool.

Don't be that sad guy with a chip in the paint or a little dent because you thought it couldn't happen to you.

post #31 of 32 Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Batman

Quote:

very valid point regarding the paint ekovach, I never thought to look at mine closely but I didn't notice any rust issues when I took them off to sell to another member on here (wish I could remember who it was).
That would be me! I love the setup! But I have noticed my bar ends sometimes tilting on the throttle side because it won't tighten up. Was going to message how you got yours to stay solid...its probably operator error

I'm looking at if I setup them wrong (stock bars) or if this is something normal...and how I can get them to be solid and not turn from the inside of the bar end weight.

Any suggestions? Otherwise, the paint is holding up just fine and no rust reported from me...but I don't really ride/park outside in rain so that may be moot....

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #32 of 32 Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

My bike was dropped in a garage so my bar ends were kinda rough so I ended up pushing the internals inside with o rings and the clips since they tweaked when I went to take them out slight vibration but Its no worse then it was before il eventually get new handlebars when I am rid of the disease thefundsarelow

image-1035229296.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode