Anyone took there 919 to dealer for front brake? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Anyone took there 919 to dealer for front brake?

My new (320 Miles) 919 is making front brake noise, I know everyones does. At first it was just a bad noise when using the brakes, now it will squeal like a trash truck or school bus, very loud! There is also a bad viberation at all speeds from the front rotor. I was just wondering if anyone took theres to the dealer to get it fixed and if so did they do anything. I broke the brakes in properly to avoid any problems and to get long life out of them.

The back brake is perfectly quiet ans smooth, wish the front"s" were the same.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Immune

is the bad vibration only during braking?

post #3 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

***Edited*** 319 miles, yes, take it to the dealer service department, be nice, calm, explain what is up, they might correct it for free - read below, if you mention improper set up, be nice, just ask them to check it out, cleaning them should take care of the problem. If this is your first trip to the dealer service department, tell them that, no matter what , be nice, you might need them someday and they will remember you.

Get that first oil change done, if you are not doing it yourself, now is as good a time as any - 600 miles is suggested, I do mine after a hundred or so. A proper first oil change might run $60-80.00 because there are a few minor checks and adjustments. Oil, figure $20-25, filter, $10-15 and a half hour billable labor, $ 40.00 +/- it adds up.

************************************************** ************************************************** **

First can try try blowing them out with air, if that does not work, try some aerosol brake cleaner.

You may need to do both, it sounds like your brake pads may of become contaminated, and there is a chance that might not be covered under warranty, so if the air or brake cleaner does not do it, you might be paying for new pads.......

A lot of possibilities, if you are not mechanically inclined, take it to the dealer, brakes are critical, but that is not news to anyone.......

Oh, if the bike was not properly set up, the brakes may of become contaminated -I think I have the set up manual on my yahoo group, it might be for the older year, worth reading, that is what the dealer is supposed to so when setting the bike up from the crate - and many do not follow them.....

post #4 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
My new (320 Miles) 919 is making front brake noise, I know everyones does.
Everyone's brakes do NOT make noise! Especially when you describe having a bad vibration at all speeds and squealing like a trash truck!! That is definitely not normal. Take it back to the dealer and have them make it right for you. If the conditions are as you say, any good mechanic will clearly see that something is not right.

Good luck!

post #5 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 12:04 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

From 200 to 18,000 miles mine were completely silent. I wouldn't accept that they all do.

The only thing ALL 919s do is stink. Don't let those guys with low exhausts try to tell you otherwise. They still stink, they just stink on the guy riding behind them instead of all up their own backs and stuff...

post #6 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
From 200 to 18,000 miles mine were completely silent. I wouldn't accept that they all do.

The only thing ALL 919s do is stink. Don't let those guys with low exhausts try to tell you otherwise. They still stink, they just stink on the guy riding behind them instead of all up their own backs and stuff...
I posted one of the dreaded screaming front brake threads a while back. I flushed them out with air and they got a little better. Also, I washed the bike one day and decided to hose the front calipers and rotors down reeeeeaaaally good and now they are very quite. After the hosing, I finished washing the bike and took if for about a 20 mile ride to dry everything off.

They still make a little noise sometimes, but not enough to worry about.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #7 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Sounds like a warped rotor. Take it back ASAP!

post #8 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I posted one of the dreaded screaming front brake threads a while back. I flushed them out with air and they got a little better. Also, I washed the bike one day and decided to hose the front calipers and rotors down reeeeeaaaally good and now they are very quite. After the hosing, I finished washing the bike and took if for about a 20 mile ride to dry everything off.

They still make a little noise sometimes, but not enough to worry about.
What year is your bike?
A while back there were a couple members complaining about their front brakes squealing, but nothing to the extent that the OP is describing.
I'll see if I can find those old threads. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember it mostly happening on '06 and '07 models... don't quote me on that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post

The only thing ALL 919s do is stink.
As for the stink, I believe it exists because more than a few members have commented on it over the years, but I've owned two 919s and have never experienced it.
Is the stink a gas smell, like it's running a too rich?
My '04 was purchased with aftermarket cans, PCIII, and K&N filter; the '07 was stock for a couple weeks and then modified with the same parts.
I don't recall ever hearing a definite resolution to the stink issue, or why some have it and others don't.
My riding jacket hangs right next to my desk at work and only smells like leather. I consider myself lucky!

post #9 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 01:18 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Is the stink a gas smell, like it's running a too rich?
Yes and Yes.

...neither of which ever bothered me. I'd be a liar though if I told you it didn't happen.

A few of the guys at my office who ride even mentioned it when I replaced the 919 recently.

post #10 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Immune

I had squeaking front break . but it happened after I changed my pads. I never experienced any shaking as you've described . if your front end shakes while riding , It could be a number of things . as simple as wheel out of balance or misaligned axle . if the shaking happens during braking only , and your bike being so new .I would say you might have a bolt lose or not torqued to the correct spec. could be one of the calipers. in any case take it to the dealer , I believe it is still under warranty.

post #11 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 01:33 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better

I thought the stink was corrected by the catalytic converter that was introduced in later years into the Y-pipe.

IIRC, stainless Y-pipe means "yes, it has a catalytic converter", black metal means "stink".

post #12 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

As for the stink, mine has stunk since the first ride, for whatever reason it seems to be stinking less since I have been ripping on it and doing some more high speed rides

I took the bike to the dealer today and got the run around, the service guy wouldn't even look at it, said to ride the front brake for a few miles on the first ride of the day, then said to clean them out with brake cleaner. The end! I will try the sos pad and brake cleaner, but something isn't right! There seems like no reason to try to extend and problem that I can't fix, guess I need to find a dealer that cares?!

I don't even mind the stink, just those damn front brakes! I have had lots of new and used bikes, never anything like this!

As for changing the oil and filter, I changed it at 200 miles, now a little over 400.

post #13 of 33 Old 09-17-2009, 03:39 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have a 2002 that had the stink, it was bad, not related to the CAT, that was "supposed" to be a fix.

My wife got sick after riding on mine, headache, the whole 9 yards, I attributed it to the exhaust - My son, then a wee little kid, literally passed out, fell asleep - on a ride, I had to reach back and catch him to keep him from falling off - I attributed it to be being a big guy and the placement of the stock exhaust -

Honda would do nothing I was the first to install a low pipe to combat this problem, as Honda denied any problem.

Anyway, the brake problem. The bikes come from the factory covered in a coating, cosmoline, and if it is not removed properly, the brakes can squeek and become grabby - a good cleaning usually corrects this.

post #14 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

I went to bed at 2:00am last night, as I snuggled up to my wife who went to bed at 10pm I couldn't help but notice that she wreaked of exhaust smell from the bike, we rode about 30miles and I never got on it, we had gotten home around 8:30pm, speeds from 30 to 60mph. When I say she smelled I mean she REALLY smelled! The exhaust should not smell like that! Here hair even wreaked and she was wearing a helmet.

Oh and my front brakes are still screaming!

post #15 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Low side exhaust helped the stink alot...like TJ said, the exhaust still smells but it doesnt get all over you like with the undertail

post #16 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I'm glad I got my first 919 before I read any of these horror stories - I might have run the other way and never looked back!

Sorry to hear that you guys are having issues. I hope one of the dealers will at least take it for a test ride so they can hear the squealing. If either of my 919s had ever squealed or stank, I would have immediately looked at something else for my daily commute.

post #17 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Personally, I think "the stink" issue comes from larger riders creating a vacuum of sorts, causing the exhaust to recirculate back and up around them.

Low pipe cured it on mine, and we've all heard some people had good luck with tips to direct the exhaust down or som eaftermarket cans -

Anyway, simple fix, run race gas 50/50 - sure, it has lead in it and will probably rot your brains more than they already are, but it sure smells good.......

post #18 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I am 5'10 170lbs, not a large rider, probably about perfect size for a 919. Still a smelly bike. Anyone else find themselves riding wheelies from every stop sign? Seems to be a problem I have with mine...

post #19 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I did it on accident once or twice.

post #20 of 33 Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 PM
just ride it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post
be nice, calm, explain what is up, they might correct it for free - read below, if you mention improper set up, be nice, just ask them to check it out, cleaning them should take care of the problem. If this is your first trip to the dealer service department, tell them that, no matter what , be nice, you might need them someday and they will remember you.

+1 being calm will get you farther than being an ass... not that you would just saying...

Yea, I'd take it back them and just ask them to check it out. Mine squealled a little bit for a while, but then it quit. never had a bad shake though...

post #21 of 33 Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
I am 5'10 170lbs, not a large rider, probably about perfect size for a 919. Still a smelly bike. Anyone else find themselves riding wheelies from every stop sign? Seems to be a problem I have with mine...
Throttle control.

The possibility of this problem being remedied is very low. Honda is aware of this issue & too many members here have come up unsuccessful.
The bike is discontinued so you success is even less hopeful.
Try the cheap fix first, but I would suggest saving for some replacement rotors & pads from Galfer or Braking.
All your brake issues/problems will disappear forever.

Good luck, And may the Force be with you.

post #22 of 33 Old 09-19-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Come to find out it has been the rear brake making all that damn noise all along, huh, I will clean the crap out of them and see what kind of short fix that does for me.

post #23 of 33 Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Well a little update, I had my bike guy clean the brakes and rode it 20 miles and the squeek was back worse then ever! I took the bike to another Honda dealer who told me to bad and I needed to buy new pads on my dime and have them do all the work. I told my bike guy to order me new pads for the all the brakes, hopefully this will fix the problem, I will let everyone know. It is embarrassing to roll up to a stop light and have everyone look at you like you are on a pos bike because it just made the worst brake noise ever!

My bike guy likes EBC brakes so that is what he ordered, hope they are good.

post #24 of 33 Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
Throttle control.

The possibility of this problem being remedied is very low. Honda is aware of this issue & too many members here have come up unsuccessful.
The bike is discontinued so you success is even less hopeful.
Try the cheap fix first, but I would suggest saving for some replacement rotors & pads from Galfer or Braking.
All your brake issues/problems will disappear forever.

Good luck, And may the Force be with you.
I've beat this issue to death with no resolution. Do a search on brake squeal, you'll get an earfull. Mines an 06, some squeal, some don't. My front still squeals like a banshee. New EBC HH pads, Multiple thouough cleanings, bla bla bla. The squeal will sometimes go away but always comes back after a hundred miles or so. Take xrmikeys advice and start saving for the galfers like me. I gave up on the cheap fixes, they never lasted for long and that squeal is beyond aggravating. Best of luck!

Steve

post #25 of 33 Old 09-30-2009, 01:49 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The bike it new, the dealer should replace the pads / correct the situation under warranty if they really are bad - call Honda if you have too -

For customer or product related questions or comments you can contact Honda Motorcycle Customer Support by telephone at 866-784-1870, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 PST. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number or Hull Identification Number ready when calling. Or by mail at: Honda Motorcycle Customer Support, P.O. Box 2200, Torrance, CA 90501.

That will start a file on the bike, and Honda will follow up with the dealer.

Remember, be nice.

Could also of been due to improper set up ...... Gotta clean those rotors properly, many dealers do not do it......

post #26 of 33 Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Any progress on the "stink"? Have you tried diffrenet fuel brands, octanes?

post #27 of 33 Old 09-30-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

I really havent noticed it but I have been wearing a helmet and going back and forth to work, I stink when I come home so I wouldn't know the difference. I will keep you updated. I ammost want to say that it is better but about the time I do it will stink again.

post #28 of 33 Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Canyon Junkie

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The 919s stink, even at altitude. I'm going to get mine remapped. It's a common issue. i had the guys check, after 05 there is no update for this issue. Also the cat talked about above I have only seen on cali bikes, I have a federal edition, so I don't have it. Some guys have had luck with Powercommanders to lean out the mix. Good luck! DB

Are we having fun yet?
post #29 of 33 Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

My '07 has a cat in Florida, as do all '07's. My bike guy installed the EBC pads tonight and all is well, the pads seem to have a lot more grip and are super quiet, I am loving life again!

post #30 of 33 Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

What about the "bad viberation at all speeds from the front rotor"?
Did the fresh pads remedy this situation?

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #31 of 33 Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

To be honest I rode the bike from his shop to my house and that is only 3-4 miles at the most, the front pads have a slight hum, I am told this is a good thing. I can really feel the new pads grip, a lot more then the stock ones, I have the stock ones, they looked glazed over to me but I don't know anything. He cleaned the rotors good when he put the pads on and I got home and sprayed the pads down and wiped the rotors down REAL good again. Maybe the dealer didn't clean the rotors when the prepped it, I know the bike was crap when new, when I had the 600 mile adjustments done by my bike guy it was like a totally different bike! I also had him take out the free play in the throttle to zero free play, love that, there was a ton!

post #32 of 33 Old 10-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Guzzi Man

Bent rotor or carrier I suspect

Have the dealer check the run out with a dial gauge indicator right away. Had ZX6R rotors replaced under warranty after 300 miles.

post #33 of 33 Old 10-04-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Still making noise with new pads, I am going to call Honda mon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode