any way to make front signals flash on and off rather than dim and bright? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ariannasdaddy

post #1 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

any way to make front signals flash on and off rather than dim and bright?

hi everyone. new to the vstar. Not sure if i'm posting in the right place or not. I have searched and searched the web and cant find my solution.

My bike is a 2006 V star 1100 custom.

I installed LED signals front and rear. I did the mod under the speedo to fix the 4 way flash problem. Still has hyper flash, which doesn't bother me. I actually like it.

The signals I bought were 2 wire signals. I got them working. The back signals work perfect, no running lights, only signals. For the fronts i ended up using diodes and resistors and they are now running lights and they flash from dim to bright.

long story short -- is there a way to get the front to stay running lights, but flash ON and OFF instead of flashing from DIM to BRIGHT. I prefer the look if the light flashing completely off and on, rather than Dim and bright. hopefully someone can help. im going nuts trying to figure this out. Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

First of all, I'd say scrap the resistors and diodes. Get one of the led flasher relays and swap out with the oem.

Ie; http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...529321&alt=web

That will fix the on/off vs dim situation.

Normally on situation.... let me research more but guys on here have fixed that. Perhaps they will chime in.

Arte et Marte
post #3 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Chech out this video.
https://youtu.be/qTcDc85d1Q0
These are called zener diodes.
Just like these. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...912177&alt=web

They only work in one direction. Think of them as check valves for electric current.

Arte et Marte

post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariannasdaddy View Post
Chech out this video.
https://youtu.be/qTcDc85d1Q0
These are called zener diodes.
Just like these. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...912177&alt=web

They only work in one direction. Think of them as check valves for electric current.

Those diodes do the same as what I bought, all diodes only go in one direction...

And the led flasher if I swap it out makes it flash on and off instead of dim and bright? I thought the led flasher just helps fix problems like fast flashing and stuff.

I just don't understand because my back ones work the way they are supposed to, and as far as I know, the one relay controls all the flashers...

post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

when I have the signals hooked up. all 3 wires (up front) (running light, signal, and ground) they just stayed on solid. That's why i ended up putting in the resistor so it would dim the running light.

When i unplug the running light wire, the lights signal like they are supposed to. No matter what i do up front, the back ones work exactly like they should. stumped.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Interesting problem.

Here's my take on it.
Turn signal fix 12 Apr 2016.jpg
Only one side is shown for clarity.
Despite the apparent complexity it is really quite simple.
In the diagram the flasher switch is connected directly to the rear lights, the RC circuit, and to the normally open (NO) contact of the relay. When the turn signals are off the transistor is held in a non conductive state and the relay normally closed (NC) contacts apply battery voltage to the front light, keeping it on.

When the turn signals are activated the rear light flashes, and the capacitor charges up through the 10K resistor. This voltage is applied to the gate of the transistor which energizes the relay, connecting the front light to the flasher voltage. When the voltage from the flasher is interrupted the capacitor begins to discharge through the 330K resistor and the rear light, but before the voltage goes low enough to shut off the transistor the flasher voltage comes back on, keeping the relay energized.

When the turn signal is turned off the capacitor discharges until the voltage drops below the gate threshold, the transistor stops conducting, and the running light comes back on.

It sounds like you already know something about electronics, but if you need help with selecting components PM me for further information.

Oh, ignore the 500 ohm resistors connected to the LEDs. They are there only to satisfy my simulator program.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Interesting problem.

Here's my take on it.

Only one side is shown for clarity.
Despite the apparent complexity it is really quite simple.
In the diagram the flasher switch is connected directly to the rear lights, the RC circuit, and to the normally open (NO) contact of the relay. When the turn signals are off the transistor is held in a non conductive state and the relay normally closed (NC) contacts apply battery voltage to the front light, keeping it on.

When the turn signals are activated the rear light flashes, and the capacitor charges up through the 10K resistor. This voltage is applied to the gate of the transistor which energizes the relay, connecting the front light to the flasher voltage. When the voltage from the flasher is interrupted the capacitor begins to discharge through the 330K resistor and the rear light, but before the voltage goes low enough to shut off the transistor the flasher voltage comes back on, keeping the relay energized.

When the turn signal is turned off the capacitor discharges until the voltage drops below the gate threshold, the transistor stops conducting, and the running light comes back on.

It sounds like you already know something about electronics, but if you need help with selecting components PM me for further information.

Rob
We'll, God has spoken.☺
CKutz_GO likes this.

Arte et Marte
post #8 of 9 Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

i think i actually figured something out. Radiantz sells a little kit that makes them blink on and off. i might order that along with their fork wrap signals, and go that route for now... see how that works.

post #9 of 9 Old 04-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Josh

Garage
I did this on my Buell. I had nice LED turn signals on the front that were always on (full brightness) and the would blink "off" when I turned on the turn signals. I used the Custom Dynamics Eclipze2 modules. They worked exactly how they were supposed to.
Eclipze Module

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode