Antifreeze - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Antifreeze

My cb900f was running hot on the highway which you know is not normal. I am not too mechanicaly inclined, but knew that I hadn't checked the antifreeze in a while, so I bought some Prestone Dex-cool which is for cars. Is this going to be a problem? Bike cooled down for a while, but soon appeared hot again. It's home now and I will chwcl tomorrow and go to mechanic Monday. Any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Left of Centre

The amount of coolant in the system in hot weather is always going to be more of a factor than the specific type of anti-freeze you add to it....

post #3 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

But no matter what you do, do not put Dex-Cool in your system. That crap will clog up your system. If you need something on the pinch, just use distilled water. How old is the coolant in there now?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller

post #4 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
But no matter what you do, do not put Dex-Cool in your system. That crap will clog up your system. If you need something on the pinch, just use distilled water. How old is the coolant in there now?
+1 If you mix the orange Dex-Cool with regular antifreeze it will turn to a gel and stops coolant flow.
Can I Add the Green Coolant to the Orange Coolant?

You can put the regular Green/Yellow Prestone in if it doesn't contain Silicates. Should say on the label.

Also when you fill the cooling system, do it from the radiator cap (you have to raise the tank). If you only add it to the overflow tank under the seat, the system isn't full.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Immune

I had a truck with the orange dexcool in it, and in my case I did have some seals get really soft and gooey... So my experience lies in the "avoid it category".

And yeah, be ***REALLY*** careful about what coolants you mix with what, they are not all compatible any more, and It's my understanding that even if they swear up and down to be compatible, you should be careful. I've been running Some blue coolant made by Honda for Honda cars. No problems in two years, locally available and relatively inexpensive.

Whatever you do, I suggest you flush out the system as best as possible and start over with whatever coolant you decide on. (dont mix it in)

post #6 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Hastatus Prior

When you say 'running hot' where is your needle at when cruising on the highway? I only ask because I thought mine might be running a little hot as well lately (although it has been 98-100 outside) but I wanted to see if what I think is hot is actually OK.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #7 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikero
My cb900f was running hot on the highway which you know is not normal. I am not too mechanicaly inclined, but knew that I hadn't checked the antifreeze in a while, so I bought some Prestone Dex-cool which is for cars. Is this going to be a problem? Bike cooled down for a while, but soon appeared hot again. It's home now and I will chwcl tomorrow and go to mechanic Monday. Any suggestions.
Flush and fill with Engine Ice. Bleed the air out of the system. Is the fan coming on? Also could b thermostat sticking or coolant temp sensor. And yes Dexcool is the worst antifreeze ever made. Does it get in the red on the gauge?

post #8 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I don't know but will have system flushed Monday. It never reached red, but was geting close and it normally runs real cool. Fan came on after ading antifreeze. Will not ride tomorrow and will bring to mechanic Monday. Mechanic is about a mile away.

Thanks for the help. It's good having you guys to go to.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

If you're moving past 40 on the freeway, you shouldn't be going past the halfway mark. In traffic it's normal to get past the temp logo specially in the hotter months.

And even if your car or truck (I think it's mostly GM) calls for dex-cool, I'd think about flushing it out to green. Google around and you'll see a lot of system failures because of the orange stuff

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #10 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikero
I don't know but will have system flushed Monday. It never reached red, but was geting close and it normally runs real cool. Fan came on after ading antifreeze. Will not ride tomorrow and will bring to mechanic Monday. Mechanic is about a mile away.

Thanks for the help. It's good having you guys to go to.
You should have them put Engine Ice coolant in. It's the best in my opinion

post #11 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Got dyno graphs?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode