Another 919 with problem on low rpm - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 07-21-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Another 919 with problem on low rpm

Hello guys. Yesterday I did starter valve synchronization, because I had a poor performance at idle speed.
After synchronization, I went to ride, and noticed the failure to 3-3.5 rpm bike jerks, but after 3-3.5 rpm - good, easily power wheelie)).
In what may be the problem? Today I replaced the spark, but the problem remained.
I read couple threads with seems problem, but think I have another problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-21-2012, 02:32 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Check the fuel pressure regulator, what you have is a classic symptom. Search here for it, there're a couple threads.

post #3 of 22 Old 07-21-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Check the fuel pressure regulator, what you have is a classic symptom. Search here for it, there're a couple threads.
Thanks for the reply!
Ohh shit! FPR costs 250 $ in Russia: D. Please, tell me, i can riding with bad FPR? Of course I will order new FPR, but it's will arrive after 2-3 weeks.
Question: Why FPR is dead? this may be a sudden or I helped him to die?

post #4 of 22 Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I need to start exporting FPRs to Russia.... LOL

FPRs can just become faulty. It can start with a small issue only noticeable under load, but usually there are tell-tale signs. Excessive amounts of exhaust smell, poor running (like you mentioned), fouled plugs, etc.

You did not help it become faulty by riding and filling gas like normal. If you've been using bad fuel additives, that may be an issue but usually they just go bad on their own.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 22 Old 07-21-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
I need to start exporting FPRs to Russia.... LOL

FPRs can just become faulty. It can start with a small issue only noticeable under load, but usually there are tell-tale signs. Excessive amounts of exhaust smell, poor running (like you mentioned), fouled plugs, etc.

You did not help it become faulty by riding and filling gas like normal. If you've been using bad fuel additives, that may be an issue but usually they just go bad on their own.
Means this is a coincidence), I thought I messed it when did synchronization.

post #6 of 22 Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Le So Cal Troll

check my post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
kiss method on the 919 (Keep it simple stupid)

First check the battery cables.

Next check the major ground lead thats under the tank on the throttle side of the backbone on the frame.

Does the bike crank over as fast as it normally should? If so then your batt is fine... if not then replace.

If both those are good, then its likely you have the one and really only part failure known to the 919 which is the fuel pressure regulator.

You can check this a couple of ways.

1. With the bike cold, start it up, feel the outer cylinder headers vs the inner cylinder headers.... if the inner's are cold compared to the outers then you have a FPR problem.

2. Pull the spark plug on cylinder #2 (that would be the second cylinder from the clutch hand side of the bike) ... if its black, FPR problem.

3. Pull the vacuum line on the FPR, if there is fuel dripping or smell of fuel in the line the fpr has gone bad.

post #7 of 22 Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Chief 10 Beers

I was wondering if the FPR problem was related to Ethenol in our gas in America. If his does turn out to be the problem then I guess I will back off that theory? Would it be cheaper for him for someone to send him one from USA?

There are bold motorcyclists and old motorcyclists, but (OK) there are few old bold motorcyclists
post #8 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Le So Cal Troll

OP if it is your FPR and want to save some.... we can set something up. its only 17 usd for me to ship an FPR via usps flat rate box from usa to russia.

post #9 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

service honda price $60 + ups$17 =

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #10 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
OP if it is your FPR and want to save some.... we can set something up. its only 17 usd for me to ship an FPR via usps flat rate box from usa to russia.
Sorry, i don't understand. You have the used FPR for me?

post #11 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

no brand new if he orders from honda dealer then sends to you via www.ups.com

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #12 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookups View Post
Sorry, i don't understand. You have the used FPR for me?
no no.

What i was purposing is for me to order the FPR, have it shipped to my house, then ship it to you.

price of part + ship to me + ship to you. (50-60 + 10ish + 17)

post #13 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

what a guy

post #14 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
no no.

What i was purposing is for me to order the FPR, have it shipped to my house, then ship it to you.

price of part + ship to me + ship to you. (50-60 + 10ish + 17)
Thanks guys for help, you are cool!
Not to worry, I can buy myself FPR in USA.
For example here:
Motorcycle Parts | OEM Motorcycle Parts | Cycle-Parts.com

post #15 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ah cool.

Well i would determine that it is infact the FPR before ordering..... see my post above.

post #16 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Hold on there!

The FPR may be the problem, but until it's tested by either finding liquid fuel in the vacuum hose or at least a fuel smell you are "shotgunning" with a new part and hoping it works. That can get very expensive very fast.

Number one rule of sudden malfunctions: the last thing done to it is usually the cause. All it takes is a two vacuum lines crossed, an overadjusted idle bypass valve (which should be active only when the "choke" knob is pulled out anyway) which is still open slightly with the choke closed, or any of a bunch of other minor things that could cause a problem.

My advice is to recheck all your work in reverse order, preferably with a service manual right in front of you, and odds are you will find one of those minor mistakes. If not, go ahead and start ordering parts.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #17 of 22 Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

This is old spark plugs
1-2 cyl. more heat than 3-4.

post #18 of 22 Old 08-07-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

The spark plug on cylinder # 2 is "oil" black.
It's time to order a FPR.
Thanks all for replies.

post #19 of 22 Old 08-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Tirone

I have had this same problem too from 3-4.5k rpms. It was so bad I couldn't even ride it home from work. So I parked it for 5 weeks while I researched the problem and got a new FPR. Just put it on and it is sputtering, jerking, bucking and will not even idle. It sounds like it is supremely clogged up. Anyone have any ideas for me to try and get this running again? Gas is starting to go back up!

Rubber Side Down!
post #20 of 22 Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjellytrail View Post
I have had this same problem too from 3-4.5k rpms. It was so bad I couldn't even ride it home from work. So I parked it for 5 weeks while I researched the problem and got a new FPR. Just put it on and it is sputtering, jerking, bucking and will not even idle. It sounds like it is supremely clogged up. Anyone have any ideas for me to try and get this running again? Gas is starting to go back up!
Load test the battery. Check for vacuum leaks. If you can, draw some fuel from the bottom of the tank and put it in a glass jar. Let it 'settle' over night and check for water in the fuel (I'm assuming you park outside.) Have you pulled the plugs and taken a look at them? How about grounding?

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #21 of 22 Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

+1 for testing the battery.

post #22 of 22 Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Le So Cal Troll

anything with the 919.... like i have said before and will say again.

KEEP IT SIMPLE.

The worst thing that happens on these bikes is the FPR.

Beyond that, make sure your battery is good and major ground connections are sound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode