Airbox Delete/Pod filter - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x

post #1 of 7 Old 06-30-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Airbox Delete/Pod filter

Hey All,

Has anyone done this mod? Does anyone know how they achieved this without any MAF/ other sensor issues?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Yo, Mook. That is an interesting, uncomfortable looking 599. That seat is painful to look at. The handle bar is way too low. But those 2 things would be easy to fix. I like the rest of the bike. I like mine better. But that's not bed.

Do you have a 599? Are you looking to aquire one?

If you put those pods on, you're going to have to reject the carburators. No way around that, Period. Re-jetting that thing isn't all that hard. It just takes close attention to fiddle little details, and about 3.5 hours. Working on carburetors, is a lot like working on guns. Both contain small parts, springs, etc.

I don't know of anyone here that done pods on a 599. I'd call DynoJet. There is a very knowledgeable gentleman there, I think his name is Mike. He can tell you if pods will work.

Keep us posted, either way.
Thanx for the comment Sniper.
I just picked up a "lightly" crashed 02 919. It had a front end collision and im busy rebuilding it. Have the front forks and waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive from ebay. Im based in south africa so it takes time for the parts to ship.

My goal is to re imagine the bike and build it to something completely different to the standard shape. It was more of an impulse buy and i had no real knowledge of the 919 or the communities around it, and how good of a bike it seems to be.

I came across this image, and say the open pod filter style, instead of the closed airbox. i like the look of the open air frame though. this bike is more of a reference image rather than something i am trying to build towards. was interested in seeing if anyone has done anything similar in terms of the delete.

the bike is currently not running, but looks to have been standing for a few weeks (10 or so), but was running after the accident, so it may just be plugs to change.

I will be doing a build log, once the parts come in, although im quite worried what y'all will think as its going to be VERY different from the standard shape and look

post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 05:18 AM
Tesserarius

You do realize that is a carbureted 599, right?

There is a Throttle position sensor. Not much else in the way of sensors, I don't think. I don't know of anyone on this site that's done pods on a 599. If you do pods on the 599 (along with exhaust mods) you will HAVE to rejet. No way around it. Rejetting a 599 is not that hard. There a lot of small parts, and details, tho.

If you're wanting to do pods on a 599, the first thing I'd do is call DynoJet. I think it's Mike you'd want to talk to. He can tell you wether it can be done, and the bike be made to run correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2185.jpg (260.5 KB, 6 views)
LDH likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
You do realize that is a carbureted 599, right?

There is a Throttle position sensor. Not much else in the way of sensors, I don't think. I don't know of anyone on this site that's done pods on a 599. If you do pods on the 599 (along with exhaust mods) you will HAVE to rejet. No way around it. Rejetting a 599 is not that hard. There a lot of small parts, and details, tho.

If you're wanting to do pods on a 599, the first thing I'd do is call DynoJet. I think it's Mike you'd want to talk to. He can tell you wether it can be done, and the bike be made to run correctly.
I think the picture has caused confusion... apologies.

The picture was more of a reference to show what i meant by the air box removal.

Are you saying that on the 919, this is not possible?

post #5 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 05:22 AM
Tesserarius

Resurrecting a 919 is a noble deed.

I don't know if pods are possible on a 919 or not. Somebody here will know, tho. There have been guys do some really cool things with 919s. Pods do have a cool, old school look.

That guy did a lot of work on that 599. I wonder what is going on with the black wire across the front fork? Why didn't he delete the passenger pegs? Why didn't he do block off plates for the AIS? Everybody's a critic, lol.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 08:13 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookasaur View Post
I think the picture has caused confusion... apologies.

The picture was more of a reference to show what i meant by the air box removal.

Are you saying that on the 919, this is not possible?
To do pods on a 919 (or really any EFI bike) you'd need to provide intake pressure to the MAP sensor some way. Likely the best way would be to fashion a spacer of some sort that the pod filter mounts to with a nipple integrated into it. Then you could run a hose from the nipple to the sensor so it could read the pressure. If you wanted to get really fancy you could add a nipple to each pod and plumb them all together so you're getting an averaged reading from all the cylinders but that's probably not super necessary.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
To do pods on a 919 (or really any EFI bike) you'd need to provide intake pressure to the MAP sensor some way. Likely the best way would be to fashion a spacer of some sort that the pod filter mounts to with a nipple integrated into it. Then you could run a hose from the nipple to the sensor so it could read the pressure. If you wanted to get really fancy you could add a nipple to each pod and plumb them all together so you're getting an averaged reading from all the cylinders but that's probably not super necessary.

Seems more complicated than the visual appeal... i will leave my box alone. im too much of a noob to do this on my own

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode