Air blowing from oil filler hole. - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By Pvster
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Air blowing from oil filler hole.

I'm worried. This morning while my bike was running I removed the oil filler cap and noticed air blowing out. Bike runs fine, doesn't overheat, has clean oil, coolant good. I don't
know the history of this bike. So is it normal for some air to blow out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

It's not a problem. It's normal crankcase ventilation.
And so - why did you take the filler cap off while the bike was running? Did you loose any oil?

post #3 of 9 Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I'm worried. This morning while my bike was running I removed the oil filler cap and noticed air blowing out. Bike runs fine, doesn't overheat, has clean oil, coolant good. I don't
know the history of this bike. So is it normal for some air to blow out?
Relax, the crankcase fumes were merely taking the path of least resistance.
When the drain plug is in, those gases vent into the air box to be fed into the engine as part of the fresh intake.
(Which is why there is that short length of clear plastic hose dead-ended off the lower part of the airbox on the airbox - it's there to give a crude indication as to how much oil is in the crankcase fumes.)

post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Thanks. So it's winter here. I have the cold start problem. Playing around with maps. I get a cold start once a day. So I started it up this morning to check if changes made a difference. I let the bike warm up before shutting off. I was curious that's all. While I was waiting I unscrewed cap. Some air blowing out, no oil. Then I turned bike off, overthought it, freaked out, chucked out a random post and googled the crap out of it. Your right some positive pressure normal. Blood pressure also back to normal.
knicholas likes this.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2017, 01:09 PM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
...Then I turned bike off, overthought it, freaked out, chucked out a random post and googled the crap out of it...
Sounds like a pretty typical Monday morning...

[This space for rent]
post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2017, 11:19 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Thanks. So it's winter here. I have the cold start problem. Playing around with maps. I get a cold start once a day. So I started it up this morning to check if changes made a difference.
This was your first mistake. Maps don't make any difference.

Just find the map that gives you the best throttle response and nothing else. The remedy for the cold start issue is to simply hold down the starter button after the engine fires up. Never had another issue and I did this for over 4 years. Cold start became a thing of the past.

Rob posted an excellent theory as to what may cause the cold start. Until it is tested and verified, all options you can think of has likely been tested and failed to cure the issue. I spent over 100 hours trying to identify and solve this puzzle.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-12-2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Thanks Pvster. That's not my first mistake. I've made a heap before that. I'm dangerous with a little knowledge.
Cold start is frustrating, I've tried it all, read all the posts. I hassled the crap out of some dude called Chris at dynajet. All I got was they were aware of an issue with some bikes, and to try an external power source. The unit is under warranty and they said if I paided shipping both ways they would test and or replace unit but wouldn't garantee a fix.
My unit started out all right, I hooked it up last winter. After a month the cold start issue popped up. Bike would die after releasing button. I used your method and held button in for about 5 seconds. Then over summer I only needed to hold in for 2 seconds. Coldest part of winter now and it has steadily gotten worse. Now it's 10 seconds and sometimes it will still die but stay running on second attempt. I'm hoping it will improve into summer. I've given up, told Chris at dynajet I would keep unit and just suck it up. Although I did tell him what to do with his crystal ball, reckon he could read the future, told me my unit would test ok. I don't really give a shit now. I'll just keep holding down start button. Didn't really like the way the bike ran without pc111. One day a custom map. Your gen 2 Sato map and the Yoshi map both work well with my setup, yours the smoothest down low. Cheers mate.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-13-2017, 04:08 PM
The Cripple

If you have to hold the starter button that long, try giving the throttle a small blimp to cut down the time needed to hold the start button. Don't need to exceed more than 2500 rpms. Just a blimp and see if that helps.

Glad to hear my Sato map helps. I cant take credit for it though. Its based on the LDH map and the tuner is brilliant. Just cost me money lol.
Islandboy likes this.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-13-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Do I blimp or blip?
marylandmike likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode