Aftermarket turn signal issue, all 4 flashing. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Aftermarket turn signal issue, all 4 flashing.

Hello all, looking for advice on an issue I'm having. I installed aftermarket turn signals with bulbs not LEDs with an aftermarket flasher relay, and when I hit the turn signal switch either way all four lights flash.

Front is wired green to solid blk wire on signals and solid colored wire to blk/wht striped wire on signals with the colored/wht striped wire on both ends taped off.

Rear is wire green to blk on signals and solid color wire to blk/ wht striped on signal.

If the front two signals are unplugged, the rear signals work correctly only blinking in the direction the button was pressed. But if all four are plugged in they act like hazards.

I'm very certain my wiring is correct and I've done research and read several threads on several websites and cannot find a fix for this. I believe what I have to do is get a diode kit and install in in like with the two front blinkers some where but wiring diagrams confuse me and I'm not the greatest with electricity.

If anybody has fixed this before and could guide me through the process I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the novel, thank you.

Long live the 919!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 08:28 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
I would expect the problem is your aftermarket flasher relay.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #3 of 15 Old 08-20-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
I would expect the problem is your aftermarket flasher relay.
I thought that too but the flasher is doing its job. When I have just the rear signals plugged up the aftermarket relay slowed them down as it should but with the stock relay in they flash fast.

Long live the 919!

post #4 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 04:29 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

If the bulbs are not LED, why do you need an aftermarket flasher relay? Do you have the OEM one that you can try?

post #5 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
If the bulbs are not LED, why do you need an aftermarket flasher relay? Do you have the OEM one that you can try?
I got the aftermarket relay to see if it would fix my issue. My guess is that the bulbs that the signals use draw much less power than the stockers do, and yes I have the stock relay and have tried both.

Long live the 919!
post #6 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 08:36 AM

Garage
Flashing fast if there's a missing load is correct behavior for the stock flasher.

What exact aftermarket signals did you fit?

2002 Honda 919
post #7 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Flashing fast if there's a missing load is correct behavior for the stock flasher.

What exact aftermarket signals did you fit?
If only the rears are plugged in they flash at the correct rate with the aftermarket flasher. All parts are the cycle gear brand products. I can take pictures of them when I get he if that helps diagnose the issue.

Long live the 919!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 07:09 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon919 View Post
If only the rears are plugged in they flash at the correct rate with the aftermarket flasher. All parts are the cycle gear brand products. I can take pictures of them when I get he if that helps diagnose the issue.
There's your problem. That's all junk. Please do yourself a favor and throw them away. You can get quality turn signals that won't cost an arm or leg elsewhere.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon919 View Post
There's your problem. That's all junk. Please do yourself a favor and throw them away. You can get quality turn signals that won't cost an arm or leg elsewhere.
I don't believe the quality of the signals are the issue, they feel well made and it's hard to mess up blinkers.. I would say the flasher could be the issue but it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Long live the 919!
post #10 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Found a wonderful write up on the CustomLED website on how to fix the issue I'm having found here - https://www.customled.com/blogs/cust...d-turn-signals

Going to pick up two diodes tomorrow and do some more tinkering after work and will report back with my findings.

Long live the 919!
post #11 of 15 Old 08-21-2019, 10:33 PM

Garage
Chances are what you have there IS LED signals, then. Normal bulbs do not require the diode mods; also, we have separate left and right turn signal indicators on the instrument pod on a 919 so that logic in the CustomLED page doesn't apply.

What, exactly, was the Cycle Gear SKU for the signals you bought and installed?

2002 Honda 919
post #12 of 15 Old 08-22-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Chances are what you have there IS LED signals, then. Normal bulbs do not require the diode mods; also, we have separate left and right turn signal indicators on the instrument pod on a 919 so that logic in the CustomLED page doesn't apply.

What, exactly, was the Cycle Gear SKU for the signals you bought and installed?
1st pic is the front signals, 2nd is the rears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190822_054310_1566476261971.jpg (129.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190822_054329_1566476301494.jpg (69.1 KB, 9 views)

Long live the 919!
post #13 of 15 Old 08-22-2019, 06:19 AM

Garage
Try reversing the wiring - on most cheap Chinese crap signals like those, the black/white striped wire is ground, not power. Normally it shouldn't matter on incandescents, buuuuuut....

What happens if you put the stock signals back on the front?

I see you're in Denton - if you get down to North Dallas at all, might be able to look your bike over and see if I can figure it out for you. I'm pretty good at electrical/electronics on vehicles.

2002 Honda 919
post #14 of 15 Old 08-22-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Try reversing the wiring - on most cheap Chinese crap signals like those, the black/white striped wire is ground, not power. Normally it shouldn't matter on incandescents, buuuuuut....

I see you're in Denton - if you get down to North Dallas at all, might be able to look your bike over and see if I can figure it out for you. I'm pretty good at electrical/electronics on vehicles.
I did some more tinkering last night after sitting on the issue.

What I did was, I left the 2 rear signals plugged in and only left one front signal plugged in and it worked properly. Only when both front signals are plugged in do all four flash. I did this process with both signals on the front, so that leads me to believe that my wiring must be correct and there is some sort of cross-over happening.

Also, I live is Colorado Springs now so wouldn't be able to stop by. I do appreciate the offer though.

Long live the 919!
post #15 of 15 Old 08-22-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:

Reversed the wiring and they work now... I will be more diligent with basic troubleshooting skills next go around 😆. Thank you for your help.

Long live the 919!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode