Aftermarket Fork Spring Install on 2002 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
This town needs an enema!

Aftermarket Fork Spring Install on 2002 919

Hey everybody,

My 0.85kg/mm Sonic Springs will arrive by the end of the week. The springs come with instructions, but I figured I'd pose a few questions to you guys first.

I've been looking at my old RaceTech installation instructions from when I put springs in my SV650, and it mentions that for cartridge forks with internal top-out springs, you have to measure the Set Length of the fork - distance from where spring touches the top of the cartridge and where the spacer touches the fork cap.

Here are my questions:

1. Do the 919 forks use internal top-out springs? I'm looking at photos of the cartridge and can't see any springs, so that would lead me to believe they are internal.

2. To measure Set Length, do I have to pull up on the damper rod really hard (to counteract top-out spring forces) in order to measure the actual, fully extended set length of the fork?

3. Does anyone have the exact Set Length measurement of the 2002 919 forks to save me the trouble of having to measure it myself with a tape measure?

Thanks for any help!

- LW

| '02 919 - Batcycle | '00 Suzuki SV650 |

Barbarians at the Gate
facebook.com/batgband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Left of Centre

Hey.

When I did this, I just laid out the standard spring and spacer together, and cut the new spacer from the material provided so that the new set would match the old set for length, more or less. I probably went a bit longer to lift the ride height...

post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
This town needs an enema!

Thx for the input. The thing is, I don't necessarily want to go by how much preload the stock setup had. So regardless of how much preload it had with the old springs, I want to set up the new springs with 15mm of preload to start. And if I feel like it's too soft, doesn't ride high enough, or has too much sag, I can always add a 5mm pvc washer.

| '02 919 - Batcycle | '00 Suzuki SV650 |

Barbarians at the Gate
facebook.com/batgband

post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherWings View Post
Thx for the input. The thing is, I don't necessarily want to go by how much preload the stock setup had. So regardless of how much preload it had with the old springs, I want to set up the new springs with 15mm of preload to start. And if I feel like it's too soft, doesn't ride high enough, or has too much sag, I can always add a 5mm pvc washer.
This is fine, just put the springs in the tubes and measure what you will need for spacers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode