Advice please if you have time...Mice fail - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Advice please if you have time...Mice fail

Hey guys, so, pulled the 9er out of the garage after winterizing, and for the first time since i've had er , no start.

2002- was on tender, never had any issues. Full tank of gas, starter on, neutral. Garage was crowded with stuff but nothing leaning on bike, or anything that could have damaged during storage. It was next to a couch basically for 3 months.

I put switch to on and didn't hear the FI motor spinning. That was my first uh oh. Strong battery, lights, signals, rear lights, signals all working. Hit starter cranked strong, but never turned over. At risk of burning out starter, tried a few times. also noticed when i hit starter heard a sort of 'pop'. not firecracker pop but like an air pop maybe like a lightbulb popping (fuse?)

I believe FI light goes out, then blinks maybe 2x.

Opened seat and notice some mouse crap around the wires: (see pics)

The mice, usually after not riding for a while, they'll set up in the intake, and stuff it with paper towels or whatever. Opened that up was completely full.

Tried again for fun, still no dice, same issue so i stopped seeing that I knew the FI not pumping gas in.

Am I right to assume wire short and maybe blew a fuse? I'm not "electrically" savvy so how hard will this be to fix, and fix as to not leave me stranded? Can I just tape up wires as to prevent short or do i have to splice etc? What's the best place to order fuses? Sorry for ramble. I'll keep searching too but if it's easy fix please let me know.

Anything else I should check that maybe got nudged by the couch and tight packed garage? I've been taught "simplest cheapest" first and going thru my checklist kickstand not issue as starter firing, i have plenty of gas etc so pretty sure it's mickey and his friends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-6.jpg (190.6 KB, 347 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM
just send it.

Garage
Looks like the mice chewed through a few wires in that harness. I don't recall a white connector on my 9er... what part of the bike am I looking at? Is that wiring stock?

[This space for rent]
post #3 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

That's the ecu? Time.to take it all apart to inspect the wire harness. Also check fuses but not until you confirm no damage.to the harness.

post #4 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Expose and clean all areas affected so you can ID all chew throughs and repair.

Charge the battery out of the bike to give you the room to move around and look. Pull up the tank and check all hoses and air lines, too.

You have some work ahead.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #5 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Looks like the mice chewed through a few wires in that harness. I don't recall a white connector on my 9er... what part of the bike am I looking at? Is that wiring stock?
that is the wire area closes to the tail of the bike, on the right side. Yes stock to all my knowledge, no PCII or anything on bike. I understand I have work ahead, but, would it be safe to say on a hunch that the wires may have shorted themselves out?, thus not firing the fuel pump?

Everything else electrically on bike appears to be working fine (blinkers, lights, trip odo, etc). Just want to narrow the issue as best as possible. I'll clean out that area as soon as I can.

post #6 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Expose and clean all areas affected so you can ID all chew throughs and repair.

Charge the battery out of the bike to give you the room to move around and look. Pull up the tank and check all hoses and air lines, too.

You have some work ahead.
Thanks- I understand I have work- hmm...seems to me the problem is electrical and bike isn't getting fuel via pump. What does the blinking FI light 2x mean? Does that specify a specific error? I'm not great at electrical work so trying to determine if this is something i can do or it's above my head.

post #7 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Imaginifer

The first thing I'd do is to take the damn couch out in the yard, douse it liberally with gasoline and light it. When the flaming rodents take off across the yard whack em good with a shovel. This won't get your bike started, but it will put you in the proper frame of mind to work on it knowing the little suckers won't return to do more damage.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #8 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
The Cripple

If you look closely in your first picture, you can already see exposed wiring that got chewed through. Focus on repairing those wires, examine surrounding area for any other potential wire repair needs, then check for fuses and replace if needed, then try firing up the bike again.

post #9 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
If you look closely in your first picture, you can already see exposed wiring that got chewed through. Focus on repairing those wires, examine surrounding area for any other potential wire repair needs, then check for fuses and replace if needed, then try firing up the bike again.
Yeah , noticed those -.... i'll try to clean it out, and repair first for sure. Does anyone know if the FI pump is directly correlated to a specific colored wire/fuse seeing that everything is working fine otherwise?

post #10 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Ian

You need to drop the under tail and pull the tank and inspect the complete full harness. Just because you think the fuel pump is the only issue, odds are it's not. With the exposed wires at the ecu & possibility of exposed wires elsewhere by fucking around with it turning power on and off you could easily...

- create a short
- fry the ecu
- burn up some wires in the harness
- fry other sensors etc.
- start a fire

All of which could be expensive to fix and a real pain in the ass to sort out. Just pull the battery out, pop off the tank and tail faring and drop the undertail, take your time and look the harness over for damage .... by rushing this or doing it half ass you could be creating more problems then fixing them.

As far as the fuel pump goes, have you checked the pump connector under the tank for wire colors or damage?

post #11 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
You need to drop the under tail and pull the tank and inspect the complete full harness. Just because you think the fuel pump is the only issue, odds are it's not. With the exposed wires at the ecu & possibility of exposed wires elsewhere by fucking around with it turning power on and off you could easily...

- create a short
- fry the ecu
- burn up some wires in the harness
- fry other sensors etc.
- start a fire

All of which could be expensive to fix and a real pain in the ass to sort out. Just pull the battery out, pop off the tank and tail faring and drop the undertail, take your time and look the harness over for damage .... by rushing this or doing it half ass you could be creating more problems then fixing them.

As far as the fuel pump goes, have you checked the pump connector under the tank for wire colors or damage?
Haven't inspected the tank area or removed yet. I agree slowly and surely is better, and I'm not too proud to admit it could be above my skill level. Most intensive thing I did was put on my exhaust.

Wouldn't a fried ECU though mean other things also not working? I'm just trying to best isolate a few things first.

post #12 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Princeps Prior

Someone get this dude a wiring diagram! Fix the ecu connector wires first. That could/probably fix everything

post #13 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Le So Cal Troll

its probably just a chewed through wire but that whole harness needs to have a once over... those rats did some work... bastards.

BTW... pin number 6 on the main black connector is the one that fires the fuel relay... its a Br/Bl (brown wire blue stripe i assume) wire.

from there the wire that powers the fuel pump is a brown wire.

post #14 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
Someone get this dude a wiring diagram! Fix the ecu connector wires first. That could/probably fix everything
i'll search for it..sorry i know a lot of you guys are way more savvy at this than me. so if u have the time to help great, and the posts have been helpful just getting eyes on it. i'll keep looking in the meantime (and agree w u).

post #15 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
its probably just a chewed through wire but that whole harness needs to have a once over... those rats did some work... bastards.

BTW... pin number 6 on the main black connector is the one that fires the fuel relay... its a Br/Bl (brown wire blue stripe i assume) wire.

from there the wire that powers the fuel pump is a brown wire.
great, exactly what i was looking for in terms of the wire color...thanks man.

post #16 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

After trying all suggested ideas, the next step is to get a cat. No more problems with mice or birds.

Spoiler:

post #17 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
After trying all suggested ideas, the next step is to get a cat. No more problems with mice or birds.
aready have 2, but they are indoor .they may need to have a few slumber parties in the garage.

post #18 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Aquilifer

Had the same thing happen to me, for some reason I pulled the seat before I attempted to start it. Patched the harness and it's been good for a couple of years now. When winter rolls around I take the seat off and store it in the house (seat) that discourages the little bastards, I also take cotton gloves filled with moth balls and place them all over the bike. So far so good ;-)

Rich

post #19 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I got the same problem, Mice chewed some wiring but among the big bulk wire cluster (Wraped under black tape), I have tried sealing all chewed one with insulted tape but I didnt get chance to test it out as its in my friend's garage and my battery was also gone. I want to take it to dealership to be on safe side. Any suggestion on good service dealership in Maryland-DC area???

post #20 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

By the looks of it that bike needs to be cleaned anyways Take your time and do a through job and Im sure youll be up and riding in no time. I had a mouse problem once. girlfriend was keeping the dog food in the garage and the boys would spill it, mice were coming for the scraps. Eliminate any food sources, and get some mouse traps. The snap kinda not the Im going trap you and let you loose kind because they will just come back. I killer 12-13 when we had a problem. Those things can climb vertical walls. I do like the set the couch on fire and shovel idea tho

post #21 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

That pop sounds like a nice bit of current arcing across a couple of wires.
This should result in a blown fuse.

HeliMech is speaking the truth, not like the double tongued Blue Coats.
You need to spot the points of the short and assess the extent of conductor involvement. Heck, it could be as easy as blowing a fuse from a powered line to ground and have not a dman thing to do with the ECU!

Nothing is going to get rid of the worry until you start the troubleshooting procedure or you drop it off at he shop and the mechanics hourly rate starts ding ding dinging the personal cash register.

If what is exposed has been eaten, I think more is instore around the corner and down the block, so to speak.

You did good with the photos, so keep it up and post the progress so the knowledgeable ones here (not me) have the best to go by to help you.

General George S. Patton
post #22 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
That pop sounds like a nice bit of current arcing across a couple of wires.
This should result in a blown fuse.

HeliMech is speaking the truth, not like the double tongued Blue Coats.
You need to spot the points of the short and assess the extent of conductor involvement. Heck, it could be as easy as blowing a fuse from a powered line to ground and have not a dman thing to do with the ECU!

Nothing is going to get rid of the worry until you start the troubleshooting procedure or you drop it off at he shop and the mechanics hourly rate starts ding ding dinging the personal cash register.

If what is exposed has been eaten, I think more is instore around the corner and down the block, so to speak.

You did good with the photos, so keep it up and post the progress so the knowledgeable ones here (not me) have the best to go by to help you.
Thanks guys. I'll keep you updated on the progress...not glad, but glad some others have gone thru this. I got home a bit late from work and by the time kid was in bed it was dark, and I was tempted to tinker, but knew that'd mean me in a dark garage and not taking my time. I am going to read up and take my time this weekend.

Motorcycle class taught me to "never rush" and I'll make sure to not i this case even when I'm not riding

I've never taken the tank off though, so that's the main thing I'm nervous about. But I'll start at the rear and work my way around. I've taken faring off before when I put my exhaust on so I'll give it a slow look soon.

Thanks dudes.

post #23 of 67 Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 PM
The Cripple

If you're that worried about the tank, you can just prop it up to allow yourself a better view and help you decide if the tank indeed does need to come off.

post #24 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

Video of the couch burning mouse stomp!!?

Look up 5 Gal. Bucket and peanut butter mouse trap, it works great! You'll have a bucket full of drown rats in the morning

:buell:
post #25 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Here we go:

image-986663196.jpg

Looks like this in a real application:

image-1973857365.jpg

The snap traps work but you could end up being made a fool of like this little bastard did to his pursuer

image-3867527855.jpg

The bucket works, and there's no escape then ya just take em out with the rest of the trash

post #26 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Pilus Posterior

LOL a 'better mouse trap' Too cool!

Whatever you do, don't use that poison stuff, the rats die and stink for weeks!

post #27 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 AM
Ian

Do you have a copy off the service manual? Someone shoild be able to lknk you yo the "drop box" where tgere is a pdf copy. It shoes the complete harness layout and explains pretty well.

You dont have to remove the complete tank right away, just loosen the lower pinch bolt (aft/lower) and slide it back, then loft the front up and prop it up with a chunk of wood. You can at least get a look at most of the harness with a mirror and flash light.

Starting at the tail is a good idea, just start by pulling off the pipes and plastics until you get to the bare undertail tray. Then you can loosen off the the rear bolts on the undertail tray and pull/fish out the ecu and most the tail harness and relays.

Check it over. Careully use a razor blade to cut off any wrapping or covering to expose the damaged areas. Pick up a small spool of similar gauge wire & splice, solder and heat shrink and damaged wires.

Just do one wire at a time, the key is not to make a wire to short that it won't allow the harnees to be routed properly or connected. Good luck, keep the pics coming.

post #28 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Do you have a copy off the service manual? Someone shoild be able to lknk you yo the "drop box" where tgere is a pdf copy. It shoes the complete harness layout and explains pretty well.

You dont have to remove the complete tank right away, just loosen the lower pinch bolt (aft/lower) and slide it back, then loft the front up and prop it up with a chunk of wood. You can at least get a look at most of the harness with a mirror and flash light.

Starting at the tail is a good idea, just start by pulling off the pipes and plastics until you get to the bare undertail tray. Then you can loosen off the the rear bolts on the undertail tray and pull/fish out the ecu and most the tail harness and relays.

Check it over. Careully use a razor blade to cut off any wrapping or covering to expose the damaged areas. Pick up a small spool of similar gauge wire & splice, solder and heat shrink and damaged wires.

Just do one wire at a time, the key is not to make a wire to short that it won't allow the harnees to be routed properly or connected. Good luck, keep the pics coming.
i actually do have a PDF of the shop manual so was reading it last night. I wish i could take a day off and just fix it! going to read the manual make sure I have the right tools and extra wire and dive in full Saturday morning. rookie question, but Should I leave the battery connected so I can test current or disconnect first? clean and splice, then reconnect?

post #29 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Ian

I would remove the battery and the ecu & relays. Fix the damaged wires then reinstall and test the system. I wouldn't worry about putting power back on and trouble shooting, until you are sure its all cleaned up.

After the harness is repaired, check all the fuses and connectors. Then throw power on and start to trouble shoot.

post #30 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Your job is to repair all the physical damage you can find and then begin to make full up powered measurements.
Make sure to ohm out the fuses to see if they are blown. This assumes you have access to a Digital Multi Meter.

General George S. Patton
post #31 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
Here we go:

Looks like this in a real application:

The snap traps work but you could end up being made a fool of like this little bastard did to his pursuer

The bucket works, and there's no escape then ya just take em out with the rest of the trash
I think I'd put some water in mine. Around here the mice can really jump. I'm sure they could jump out of a 5 gallon bucket. I'd rather make sure the little f-ers are dead. My cat does a good job of killing them and our rabbits.

image-2694913887.jpg

Spoiler:

post #32 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post

I think I'd put some water in mine. Around here the mice can really jump. I'm sure they could jump out of a 5 gallon bucket. I'd rather make sure the little f-ers are dead. My cat does a good job of killing them and our rabbits.
WTF!? Bro there is suppose to be water in the bucket about 4" of water is plenty to snuff out the typical mouse

post #33 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

8" of water works.wonders.for.chipmunks ...

post #34 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post

WTF!? Bro there is suppose to be water in the bucket about 4" of water is plenty to snuff out the typical mouse
How much water for prairie dogs and rabbits? We have more of them then mice. No rats here in Alberta.

Spoiler:

post #35 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

this is the best mouse trap, period. HomeDepot sells them.
Ortho Home Defence Max.

post #36 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i love the water in the bucket idea... Genius.

post #37 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Discen

The best thing you can do to the ECU harness wires is to pull them out of the connector and add shrink tubing to the chewed areas.

If the copper has been eaten by the mice, replace that part of the wire and add shrink tubing too.

This will ensure wire integrity in the long run. You can even get shrink tubing that has some kind of glue in it. It will seal that area of the wires for good!

post #38 of 67 Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Ok, I'm gettin bored with this....this is your chance!!! Throw that rat bitten pile in the lake and go get a Gixxxer

post #39 of 67 Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
I would remove the battery and the ecu & relays. Fix the damaged wires then reinstall and test the system. I wouldn't worry about putting power back on and trouble shooting, until you are sure its all cleaned up.

After the harness is repaired, check all the fuses and connectors. Then throw power on and start to trouble shoot.
So i took tail off and everything and got the wiring harness/ecu out and cleaned up. Good news if any is that no more damage, checked under tank and that is good. They mainly lived in the intake, and seems like one rebel mice hung out in the seat. Before i disconnected battery i turned key to on and got FI 1 second light, and 3x fast blinks- which translates to "13"blinks according to the manual. Which i think according to shop manual means it's injector 2 has short or faulty.

There are two broken wires- pink/blue and green pink. I got them cleaned, re stripped and got some connectors and am gonna finish splicing and insulating them tmrw, reinstall battery and hope I get fuel in the engine and she starts. I wanted to finish so bad, but ran out of time cause my kid woke up, and didn't want to rush it.

Last I checked a few days ago, everything else was working so hope this does it. I have spare fuses in case. I'll report tmrw on how i do. thanks all.

pics of two chewed wires

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wires1.jpg (103.2 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg wires2.jpg (127.9 KB, 167 views)

post #40 of 67 Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I bet she fires right up after you get those wires repaired. Good luck tomorrow!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode