Adding a charge/jump/access port to a battery. - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sugar
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-04-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,994
Rep Power: 1
 
Adding a charge/jump/access port to a battery.

I have a float charger from Harbor Freight and a 12V port that I was thinking of adding to my tank bag.

So what I have in mind is to make an access port to the battery. Maybe add wires direct to the battery and mount them so that I can have access to the 12V without having to take off the cover.

I have spare cig lighter port and adapter. Bit bulky for a motorcycle, but I also have the USB adapters for that and cig ports are common.

Anyone do a project like this? We all need power to our tank bags, so having it built in would be an advantage.

KarlJay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Jamaica, NY
Posts: 139
Rep Power: 1
 
My tender came with an SAE connector that connected to the battery at the terminals and is easily exposed without taking covers off. Is that the kind of thing you’re after?

What I would like is my little jump starter’s cord to have an SAE connection instead of just the alligator clamps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steev is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 02-05-2018, 07:14 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,213
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I have tons of power all over my bike. I have a set of leads running from the battery back to a terminal block in the back (just a basic one, nothing fancy.) I was having problems fitting the battery in the box with multiple wires run to it. I installed a relay that is switched by the taillight so I have both always on and switched power at the terminal block, plus a ground. Both are individually fused on the wire back to the battery. I can take some photos if you'd like, and could possibly replicate a few if people are interested. I then have a heated gear plug wired to the terminal block, which is installed in the black side cover below the seat. I also have a dual USB plug installed in the black rubber cover in front of the tank where the PAIRs pump used to reside, I have the wires running along the backbone below the tank back to the terminal block, and when I need to use them I just plug in and run the wire to my tank bag, but when not in use no one would know it's there. I also have my chain oiler wired to the terminal block.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,994
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
I have tons of power all over my bike. I have a set of leads running from the battery back to a terminal block in the back (just a basic one, nothing fancy.) I was having problems fitting the battery in the box with multiple wires run to it. I installed a relay that is switched by the taillight so I have both always on and switched power at the terminal block, plus a ground. Both are individually fused on the wire back to the battery. I can take some photos if you'd like, and could possibly replicate a few if people are interested. I then have a heated gear plug wired to the terminal block, which is installed in the black side cover below the seat. I also have a dual USB plug installed in the black rubber cover in front of the tank where the PAIRs pump used to reside, I have the wires running along the backbone below the tank back to the terminal block, and when I need to use them I just plug in and run the wire to my tank bag, but when not in use no one would know it's there. I also have my chain oiler wired to the terminal block.
I would like to see a few pics of that. I didn't know a chain oiler would be electric, who makes it and how's it work?

I like the idea of a few USBs to the bag, looking for a quick disconnect type if their is such a thing. I use an iPod and headphone amp. I also have an emergency light I'd like to rig up under the seat so I don't have to carry a flashlight.

KarlJay is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 02-05-2018, 02:49 PM
Why's everything on fire?
 
CB700S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,217
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
I connected the charger harness that comes with a charger to every bike I’ve had - then I connect that to a cigarette lighter outlet on my handlebars. I keep the connectors intact so I can connect the charger down near the battery if I want. However, usually I just plug the charger into the cigarette lighter outlet on the handlebars using the standard adapters so available. I also use a standard car USB adapter in said outlet to power my stuff if needed.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
CB700S is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 02-06-2018, 07:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,213
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I would like to see a few pics of that. I didn't know a chain oiler would be electric, who makes it and how's it work?

I like the idea of a few USBs to the bag, looking for a quick disconnect type if their is such a thing. I use an iPod and headphone amp. I also have an emergency light I'd like to rig up under the seat so I don't have to carry a flashlight.
The one I have is from Chameleon. I've been a fan but haven't tried any others to compare to... Comes on when the bike is keyed up, and opens a valve for a set duration (you can change the duration) to allow oil to flow.

I'm tied up at the shop tonight but I'll try to grab some photos after work tomorrow if I remember.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 02-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,115
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I added a combo heated gear plug/ battery charging port. I drilled a hole in the left side cover and put a rubber grommet, which holds the plug on the bike side in place. Needed an SAE to heated gear plug adapter for the charging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (58.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Capture 1.JPG (69.6 KB, 21 views)

marylandmike is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 02-06-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,994
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I added a combo heated gear plug/ battery charging port. I drilled a hole in the left side cover and put a rubber grommet, which holds the plug on the bike side in place. Needed an SAE to heated gear plug adapter for the charging.
Looks good. I'm thinking I could do the same thing, just need to make or buy the port.

KarlJay is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 02-08-2018, 07:40 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,213
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...1&d=1518104356
2 Wires going to the battery
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...145761&thumb=1
Relay and fuses
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...145769&thumb=1
Terminal block, switched power on the left, constant hot in the middle (really only use for charging) and ground on the right
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...145785&thumb=1
Heated gear fuse (built into the plug I bought)
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...145777&thumb=1
Fuse for USB ports up front
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...145793&thumb=1
Heated Gear plug
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...145801&thumb=1
USB plug with cover
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...145809&thumb=1
USB plug uncovered

I can't figure out how the hell to do thumbnails apparently but I think you can figure out what I'm talking about. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3773_25.jpg (200.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3774_25.jpg (323.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3775_25.jpg (388.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3776_25.jpg (311.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3779_25.jpg (213.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3778_25.jpg (292.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3780_25.jpg (254.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3782_25.jpg (240.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3781_25.jpg (209.0 KB, 12 views)

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 02-08-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,994
Rep Power: 1
 
What's that orange pad that holds up the seat made of? The seat being lose gets a bit old, how does it hold up when you take the seat on and off?

Is it glued in place?

I like that setup.

KarlJay is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 02-08-2018, 12:19 PM
919 Rider
 
Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Flinders island
Posts: 1,993
Rep Power: 1
 
I stopped my seat from being loose by packing that area where that orange sponge stuff is with thick cardboard. The cardboard I wrapped a heap of times with electrical tape. Its fixed to frame with double sided tape. I bent the two hooks on the side down and wrapped them in tape. I also gave the hook that the front of the seat jams under, near tank, a little bend downwards.
A loose seat gives me the shits!

Islandboy is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 02-09-2018, 06:20 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,213
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
What's that orange pad that holds up the seat made of? The seat being lose gets a bit old, how does it hold up when you take the seat on and off?

Is it glued in place?

I like that setup.
Just some random rubber we had at work. It has a light adhesive on one side but really is only strong enough to hold the pieces together, it holds up well, but once in a while I'll have to reorient it before I put the seat back on. I tried the cardboard wrapped in tape but it kept getting compressed too much.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 1
 
I don’t know if it is of any interest, but this is how I solved easy access for recharging the starter battery, and I mounted a USB for my phone to get navigation, spotify, phone calls etc without empty the phone battery

I keep the extra cable under the seat with an advisor, telling when to recharge
I got an AGM battery so the charger is in that position.
The USB is connected in a way so I need the ignition to be on to get any power, just to avoid any ”discharge accidents”

This solution has been working very well - never out of power :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 208DF9CA-0E0E-47B1-AAAA-BCA706848C06_1518461312511.jpg (126.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 25348B86-8E9D-46B6-AB4F-DE84EA87FBBB_1518461352293.jpg (141.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg C79FA1D9-5635-4472-8E80-EB5013DCD8B7_1518461392496.jpg (113.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg AA69DE6A-39F9-400C-ADF4-F7A631C6A3AD_1518461435852.jpg (145.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg AE47D2E4-1D47-45A7-87CE-900E70B3582E_1518461472554.jpg (169.8 KB, 18 views)
KarlJay likes this.

sugar is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 02-12-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,994
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar View Post
I don’t know if it is of any interest, but this is how I solved easy access for recharging the starter battery, and I mounted a USB for my phone to get navigation, spotify, phone calls etc without empty the phone battery

I keep the extra cable under the seat with an advisor, telling when to recharge
I got an AGM battery so the charger is in that position.
The USB is connected in a way so I need the ignition to be on to get any power, just to avoid any ”discharge accidents”

This solution has been working very well - never out of power :-)
Looks awesome, what's the brand name on that outlet on the bars, looks like a great setup.

KarlJay is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 02-12-2018, 02:19 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 1
 
You mean the USB?

sugar is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 02-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 1
 
If so, I have no idea
Guess it is brandless
Foundt it somewhere on the web

sugar is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 02-12-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,994
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar View Post
If so, I have no idea
Guess it is brandless
Foundt it somewhere on the web
I was thinking about having a battery pack inside my tank bag and then just recharge the tank bag that would have the USB ports on it. Just need one that has a quick disconnect to the bike's charging system.

KarlJay is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome