Add on LED light idea - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Add on LED light idea

Harbor Freight has 3" and 8" LED lights in both spot/flood and combo.

I was thinking about a 3" or 8" light as an add on. These are quality (even thou HF carries them) lights and I'm thinking about lighting up parts of the road the regular headlight or LED headlight doesn't light up.

Kinda like running high and low beam at the same time or light that point in different areas.

I know 3" is a bit big for classic add on lights, we usually see the small 2" round ones, but this isn't about looks, I'm thinking of safety.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 03:46 PM
919 Rider

Where would you mount the flood lights?

post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Where would you mount the flood lights?
I'm not sure, but the 8" wide would probably be below the headlight and the 3" would maybe be on the side or a pair under the headlight.

The 8" light is a combo (flood and spot), but I'm thinking 2 3" spot lights mounted under the headlight so that you can go slightly left/right to get long and wide view.

Part of the suck of 1 light is trying to avoid potholes/rocks/etc... late at night. Having 2 3" LEDs could hit the areas the headlight doesn't cover well and at a far enough distance to help when you're at speed.

Here's a link to a video of them:

post #4 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 05:11 PM
919 Rider

The LED light bar under headlight is a good idea.
I was thinking for the two floodlights somewhere on the frame would be a good place. Like that spot near the bottom of the radiator where frame sliders go. I've got crash bars I've considered mounting LEDs too.
I would have thought frame mounted lights would give a different perspective under some situations than having all the lights steering mounted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190527_094922-1_1558915578475.jpg (163.0 KB, 3 views)

post #5 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
The LED light bar under headlight is a good idea.
I was thinking for the two floodlights somewhere on the frame would be a good place. Like that spot near the bottom of the radiator where frame sliders go. I've got crash bars I've considered mounting LEDs too.
I would have thought frame mounted lights would give a different perspective under some situations than having all the lights steering mounted.
Both the bikes that I have are steering mounted headlights and so I don't know what it's like to have the light lin line with the frame instead of where I'm turning.

TBH, I think having the headlight move where I'm turning is a great thing, but I can't compare.

Radiator mounts sound like a great place.

I notice you're saying flood instead of spot. I know it's important to see the things right in front of you, but seeing them fast enough to dodge them or stop is also important.

I actually had another idea before, I just bought an adjustable LED that puts out 588 lumen. It goes from spot to flood. I was thinking of a game controller type controller mounted on the handle bars that would allow you to adjust things on demand. You could go flood/spot left/right/up/down like the remote control on a side view mirror.

Ever go up a hill at night? Your light would be better pointing up, what about down hill or a very twisty road at night?

Even had the idea to make a helmet mounted setup, but these HF lights are $21 on sale right now, so it's a pretty cheap investment.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Here's a compare of some others made for motorcycles:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...logy?rrec=true

They are 4X the power, but 4X the price.

One of these would have nearly 2X the power of the flashlight I have now, and it's able to light up a house pretty far away.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Extra lighting is always a good idea, but there is a bit of a problem for a motorcycle: they lean in corners. It is very difficult to illuminate the road ahead when cornering if the spots or floods are aimed more or less the same as the headlight. I have seen spot lights angled such that they light the road while leaning, but when going straight they are angled up and to the side instead of straight ahead and do not add to the visibility ahead at all.

Fortunately there is a solution that is preferable to having a game type joystick controlling the aiming, which would take too much attention away from riding. Simply put it is using a solid state three axis accelerometer combined with a three axis gyro (AGS) to determine the orientation and acceleration of the motorcycle in pitch, roll and yaw. Sounds very expensive, right? Not so! There are combo units available for less than $15, and they occupy a footprint less than a square inch. Aiming is controlled by reading the output of one of these fed into a small suitably programmed microcontroller (MCU) which will crunch the inputs and determine the proper angle for the auxiliary lights to illuminate through the corner. For this application pitch (front / back on a horizontal axis perpendicular to the direction of travel), and roll (side to side on a horizontal axis parallel to the direction of travel) will provide the necessary information for aiming in a corner, and when going up or down a grade. Less important is yaw (side to side on a vertical axis) which is only useful to roughly determine the radius of the turn, or if sliding. Once you have those inputs the MCU will actuate two stepper motors per lamp to slew the light in the proper direction. Since the AGS sampling rate is as fast as two thousandths of a second and processing time is much quicker than that it could be considered a dynamic system able to adjust in near real time, the only real delay being from the stepper motors.

I think I'll look into this some more to get a better idea of the complexity and cost.

Believe it or not this is one of my favorite forms of recreation that does not involve a helmet but usually involves clothing of some sort.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 8 Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Extra lighting is always a good idea, but there is a bit of a problem for a motorcycle: they lean in corners. It is very difficult to illuminate the road ahead when cornering if the spots or floods are aimed more or less the same as the headlight. I have seen spot lights angled such that they light the road while leaning, but when going straight they are angled up and to the side instead of straight ahead and do not add to the visibility ahead at all.

Fortunately there is a solution that is preferable to having a game type joystick controlling the aiming, which would take too much attention away from riding. Simply put it is using a solid state three axis accelerometer combined with a three axis gyro (AGS) to determine the orientation and acceleration of the motorcycle in pitch, roll and yaw. Sounds very expensive, right? Not so! There are combo units available for less than $15, and they occupy a footprint less than a square inch. Aiming is controlled by reading the output of one of these fed into a small suitably programmed microcontroller (MCU) which will crunch the inputs and determine the proper angle for the auxiliary lights to illuminate through the corner. For this application pitch (front / back on a horizontal axis perpendicular to the direction of travel), and roll (side to side on a horizontal axis parallel to the direction of travel) will provide the necessary information for aiming in a corner, and when going up or down a grade. Less important is yaw (side to side on a vertical axis) which is only useful to roughly determine the radius of the turn, or if sliding. Once you have those inputs the MCU will actuate two stepper motors per lamp to slew the light in the proper direction. Since the AGS sampling rate is as fast as two thousandths of a second and processing time is much quicker than that it could be considered a dynamic system able to adjust in near real time, the only real delay being from the stepper motors.

I think I'll look into this some more to get a better idea of the complexity and cost.

Believe it or not this is one of my favorite forms of recreation that does not involve a helmet but usually involves clothing of some sort.

Rob

That sounds like an interesting project. I've been looking at Arduino controllers for small steppers, seems like this would be doable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode