A problem with gearshift :( - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

A problem with gearshift :(

Hi all.
I have a problem with the gearshift, so I can't feel the full power of 919)))).
A week after buying the 919, I have some jerks on 2nd shift after 3.5 rpm. I have to go on a switch 1st shift on 3rd.
What could it be? I think if the repairs will be expensive, may be better to buy the another engine?)) WOW
Maybe someone had similar problems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Princeps Prior

Check the easy stuff first. Usual chain and sprockets or rear wheel bearings needing replaced. If its the engine could need plugs or valve adjustment. Some people have issues with the fuel pressure regulator also from what I have read

post #3 of 8 Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The 919's trans was originally designed for the first CBR900, and with the exception of some slight ratio juggling it remains essentially a racing trans. In short, it rewards positive but not overly forceful inputs. Since I'm very used to racing transmissions it wasn't a problem at all, but if you're more used to gentle shifting you will have the sort of problems described.

Having said that, the most common failure is second gear primarily due to overenthusiastic 1 - 2 shift and the relatively deep neutral detent which can cause problems. For racing it is common to eliminate the neutral detent altogether to prevent this sort of problem, obviously not an option in this case.

What you need to do is be deliberate in the 1 -2 shift, clutching every time, and if it still skips there is a problem with the engagement dogs and the bottom end of the engine will have to be opened up to replace the appropriate gears. It's not as bad as it sounds, but will take some time or money to do.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

post #4 of 8 Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

If you feel you must pull hard from 1st to 2nd, you might want to look into flipping the "linkage arm" and go with the race style 1st up the rest down.

Arte et Marte
post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Cornicen

Just another .02 here. Sometimes on the track or during "spirited" riding, I find short shifting between 1st and 2nd gear helps a lot. As mentioned above, if the shift between the 2 gears isn't real positive it's easy to miss, and if the bike was previously owned then who knows how many times this happened and may have affected the pawl in tranny. Good luck!

post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
The 919's trans was originally designed for the first CBR900, and with the exception of some slight ratio juggling it remains essentially a racing trans. In short, it rewards positive but not overly forceful inputs. Since I'm very used to racing transmissions it wasn't a problem at all, but if you're more used to gentle shifting you will have the sort of problems described.

Having said that, the most common failure is second gear primarily due to overenthusiastic 1 - 2 shift and the relatively deep neutral detent which can cause problems. For racing it is common to eliminate the neutral detent altogether to prevent this sort of problem, obviously not an option in this case.

What you need to do is be deliberate in the 1 -2 shift, clutching every time, and if it still skips there is a problem with the engagement dogs and the bottom end of the engine will have to be opened up to replace the appropriate gears. It's not as bad as it sounds, but will take some time or money to do.

Rob
Sorry, you said that CBR900RR is fit? Are you sure?, I can use CBR900RR transmission? The CBR900RR is a popular bike in Russia, so I can find CBR900RR first generation transmission.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookups View Post
Sorry, you said that CBR900RR is fit? Are you sure?, I can use CBR900RR transmission? The CBR900RR is a popular bike in Russia, so I can find CBR900RR first generation transmission.
No, pretty sure he was just saying that it was 'designed' after the CBR transmission. Gear ratios are different; not interchangeable.

As far as being a 'race' transmission, he was just stating that the components and design were of 'race' origination, i.e., they are meant to be run hard and should hold up very well to abuse.

I'm leaning towards thinking that your transmission is fine - maybe something wrong with clutch plates, chain? gear selector?

Start small, then work up to the bigger issues.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #8 of 8 Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Hello.
I have good news!
CBR900RR 98-99 'have the same gear ratio as in 919er.
Yesterday I replacement it and today i hope will be the first start after engine removal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode