990 Super Duke service @ 18,000 miles - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 06-01-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

990 Super Duke service @ 18,000 miles

Just a little background: I bought the bike used, on Oct 30, 2009, from Spykes in Lafayette Indiana, for $6955, out the door, taxes included. It was used, with 4500 miles on it. The bike had been backed into, knocked over, and fully repaired. It still looks brand new. It had, and still has a set of $800 FMF carbon fiber mufflers on it.

I put aprox $80 worth of track stand spools, fork sliders, tank pad, and frame caps on it. That's it for mods.

Shortly after I got the bike, the main wiring harness needed to be replaced, under warranty. And somewhere along the way, one of the front rotors got out of true. I suspect from being knocked over, because no one that I talked to had ever heard of a Brembo rotor going bad. For a long time, the bike was stubborn to start. But a couple bottles of Lucas Oil Fuel Injector Cleaner helped that a lot.

So... I'm not sure if the valves were ever checked. When I bought the 390 Duke, from Spykes, it was a good opertunity, to leave the 990 behind, to be serviced. I think they did an excellent job. Everything looks as it did. All the valves were in spec. That's always a good thing. The dirty air filter got replaced with a new one. The throttle bodies were cleaned. The motorcycle has been give a clean bill of health, and is as good as new inside and out.... Except he the headlight cover still has those "spider cracks" in it. So they sold a headlight assembly from a race bike, to me for $25. Pretty cool. $196.00 well spent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (228.3 KB, 15 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Optio

Garage
One day I'll find a good deal on a 990 and it will come home with me. I've been wanting to try one for a while now and I thought for sure more would have been for sale after the 1290 came out.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-01-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Here's my $25, used headlight Assembly. Looks like new.

I have no plans to ever sell mine. The 990 SDs were so expensive when they were new. KTM was still fairly unknown back then. I'll never forget the first time I saw a new one, on the floor at S and S in New Albany Indiana. $11,999 was on the price tag. That's probably why they didn't sell a whole bunch of them. I talked to the original owner, a young guy before I bought the bike. He said he lost $6000, when he traded it for the RC8, which he didn't like as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (172.3 KB, 19 views)

post #4 of 5 Old 06-01-2015, 06:00 PM
Milites Gregarius

Im with you... I love my Super Duke!!! I probably paid a little too much for my 08, but at the end of the day I'm happy and content to keep it a while

Currently in the garage:
True TDD-1 Kegerator Loaded with Stella Artois (Second Half Barrel)
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2004 Honda 919 (Sold)
2005 Honda 919
2008 KTM SuperDuke 990
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 (Sold)
2011 Ducati Multistrada S Touring... Ohlins Mechatronic!
post #5 of 5 Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Princeps Prior

I got to ride this beast yesterday! My new riding buddy. Fucking amazing!

ForumRunner_20160417_134633.jpg

ForumRunner_20160417_134649.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode