919 won't start - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
919 won't start

This has me stumped. Yesterday, I went to fire up the bike to head to work and thumbing the starter turned everything black. No gauge lights, no headlight, no taillight. Dead battery, right? Nope. Confirmed 13.8 volts with a voltmeter. I started monkeying around with unplugging various systems, but funky electrical behavior persists.

In the video, I believe the clicking you'll hear is the fuel pump relay. There seems to be a pulsing of voltage which is causing it to try and fire, fail, and repeat. If anyone can offer some insight, I'd be massively appreciative.

https://youtu.be/Mn3NH2mSEEo

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
This has me stumped. Yesterday, I went to fire up the bike to head to work and thumbing the starter turned everything black. No gauge lights, no headlight, no taillight. Dead battery, right? Nope. Confirmed 13.8 volts with a voltmeter. I started monkeying around with unplugging various systems, but funky electrical behavior persists.

In the video, I believe the clicking you'll hear is the fuel pump relay. There seems to be a pulsing of voltage which is causing it to try and fire, fail, and repeat. If anyone can offer some insight, I'd be massively appreciative.

https://youtu.be/Mn3NH2mSEEo
My bet is still the battery. The static voltage is not a good indicator. I would remove it and have it load tested.

marylandmike is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Optio
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicagoland)
Posts: 890
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
This has me stumped. Yesterday, I went to fire up the bike to head to work and thumbing the starter turned everything black. No gauge lights, no headlight, no taillight. Dead battery, right? Nope. Confirmed 13.8 volts with a voltmeter. I started monkeying around with unplugging various systems, but funky electrical behavior persists.

In the video, I believe the clicking you'll hear is the fuel pump relay. There seems to be a pulsing of voltage which is causing it to try and fire, fail, and repeat. If anyone can offer some insight, I'd be massively appreciative.

https://youtu.be/Mn3NH2mSEEo
I had something similar happen last summer. The battery tested fine at ~13 volts, but, when starting, didn't have enough load to get everything going. Replaced the battery and all has been well.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
bartsitarski is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 09:42 AM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,765
Rep Power: 1
 
+1, test the battery under load. If that checks out then look at your kill switch. It's a known weak point on Hondas.

Pvster is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 09:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
beefsalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,776
Blog Entries: 51
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Load being the operative word. It can show 13v and not have the amperage required to push the systems.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
beefsalad is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 10:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,218
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

+3 to the battery... a quick check would be check the voltage of the battery when you hit the starter... should only drop to maybe 10... any lower than that and she's caput

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
If that checks out then look at your kill switch. It's a known weak point on Hondas.
I had another right side control pod I tested to confirm that wasn't the failure point, plus it still acts funky with the pod unplugged. So far that's eliminated as a potential culprit.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 01:10 PM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,765
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post

I had another right side control pod I tested to confirm that wasn't the failure point, plus it still acts funky with the pod unplugged. So far that's eliminated as a potential culprit.
Don't think you can even start the bike with the kill switch pod unplugged. The starter button and kill switch share the same plug.

Pvster is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Don't think you can even start the bike with the kill switch pod unplugged. The starter button and kill switch share the same plug.
I think you might have missed my point there. The odd pulsing of gauge lights and taillight persist with the pod unplugged. Plus, as noted, I tried to plug in a newer pod in better shape than my own to ensure it wasn't the culprit.

I mean, you're not wrong, but I'm not sure it's relevant to the problem at this point.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 06-17-2016, 05:22 AM
Fool in the Rain
 
HondaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 10,284
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
I think you might have missed my point there. The odd pulsing of gauge lights and taillight persist with the pod unplugged. Plus, as noted, I tried to plug in a newer pod in better shape than my own to ensure it wasn't the culprit.

I mean, you're not wrong, but I'm not sure it's relevant to the problem at this point.
Hook up some jumper cables to a good known battery. If the pulsing quits, then it's your battery causing it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
HondaJim is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 06-17-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
HOooolly crap. That little bastard was 9 freaking years old. I borrowed my CBR battery and she fired right up. The battery votes have it! That was positively bizarre. I've never seen a dead battery behave in that manner, and I've killed my share of batteries.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 06-17-2016, 08:58 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Good deal. Glad it was something simple!

marylandmike is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 06-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Optio
 
bartsitarski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicagoland)
Posts: 890
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BockHawk View Post
HOooolly crap. That little bastard was 9 freaking years old. I borrowed my CBR battery and she fired right up. The battery votes have it! That was positively bizarre. I've never seen a dead battery behave in that manner, and I've killed my share of batteries.
Glad it worked out. Next time listed to the choir to save yourself some time lol

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
bartsitarski is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome