919 valve cover gasket (and other general questions) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 valve cover gasket (and other general questions)

So I have been looking at 919's recently, and I have noticed something that seems to keep coming back: The valve cover is either void of any weirdness, or it has this creme colored (plastic like and solid) stuff that is usually in the vicinity of the half circles. I am breaking my brain on what it could be, on two bikes I have seen it now, yet pictures on the internet show none of that stuff going on. One was a 2007, the other a 2002.

I will be using the search function for the following, but if you have a 2002 I would love to hear your input:

I have looked at a 2002, and it looked in pretty good shape. Some scrapes on the left engine cover, but the tank seemed fine. Rear sprocket was good, front I could not see. But the chain seemed new as well. It's Asphalt color, some yoshi's on it and I believe 22k miles. Anything I should pay close attention to? It would be hilarious if the owner is on these forums, but I'll find that out soon enough! I want to see if I can test ride it next weekend, and if it's good I'll try and close a deal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Riding Naked All The Time

Service manual calls for sealant to be applied in that area. They may have used something other than black colored.

2004 919 Uranium

post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Yeah mine had dried sealant that was that off-white color. I peeled off most of it when I did the valves and barely used any putting the valve cover back on. The whole point of the gasket is to not have to use gobs of sealant, but unless someone used so much that it went into the oil or whatever, it doesn't really hurt either, just looks ratty.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-26-2015, 03:17 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Second both of the above. My much abused 919 and the pristine 919 my friend just bought are both 2002s and our engines both show a little bit of off-white sealant in that area.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #5 of 6 Old 08-26-2015, 05:25 PM
The Cripple

The sealant is mainly used in the half circle areas to help hold the half-circles and the gasket in place while the valve cover is put back on.

post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Then I just chalk it up to "normal" then. I might be test riding one this Friday... fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« LED | Tank repair »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode